[1.2] OSE Workshop - KIS Addon: (v1.1.0 - 2016.11.03)

ObiVanDamme

OSE Workshop Version 0.9.6 was just released and brings KIS 1.2.1 compatibility

- Compatible with KIS 1.2.1

- Fixed a bug in the Recycler that caused an Exception when an Item was added to the Queue

- Fixed animation setup for the 3D printing lab

Edit: Sorry for the trouble you have everytime KIS updates. I am still trying to make the Workshop work with newer Versions of KIS than the one I used during development, but was not able to do up to now. Even some hints of KospY himself did not work. I will continue to work on that and hopefully find away to solve this in the future.

Thanks.

Probably want to update the image on the Kerbalstuff page though as it's pretty outdated.

any chance of a CRP .cfg for this? I don't want to deal with an additional new resource, but like the idea of this mod. Could use spareparts, machinery or some combination of resources already produced by other mods.

the resource used is configurable. you can change it using module manager if you like

I'm planning on adding a larger workshop part (just picking a part from somewhere and adding the modules) so I can use it to create large parts that can be used to actually construct ships (basically as a less OP EPL mod). I think I can figure out how to apply the right modules to the part to make it a workshop, but is there a way to limit out parts other than by size? I want to be able to make some large parts (like the parts from LLL Space Boxes) but not others that I feel would be unrealistic to build in space out of basic components due to complexity (like nuclear reactors). Is there any way I can limit such parts while still allowing other large parts? Even if it was just a list of parts that were disallowed, I wouldn't mind going through and doing it myself, but how might I do that?

Thank you so much for this mod, Obi! It's really awesome, and your effort is much appreciated.

@Sahadara: Nice! I've been looking into a larger container solution, and I've come up with the following idea:

@Obi: Would it be too hard to implement a system that verifies if there's enough space on a KIS container, and use that container to store higher-than 2000L parts?

Concept

Thanks.

--Edit--

Sorry, I didn't notice you actually need to have available space in a KIS container in order to finish a production. In that case, the MM code solves everything. :)

Edited by Kowgan
Being dumb.

I'm planning on adding a larger workshop part (just picking a part from somewhere and adding the modules) so I can use it to create large parts that can be used to actually construct ships (basically as a less OP EPL mod). I think I can figure out how to apply the right modules to the part to make it a workshop, but is there a way to limit out parts other than by size? I want to be able to make some large parts (like the parts from LLL Space Boxes) but not others that I feel would be unrealistic to build in space out of basic components due to complexity (like nuclear reactors). Is there any way I can limit such parts while still allowing other large parts? Even if it was just a list of parts that were disallowed, I wouldn't mind going through and doing it myself, but how might I do that?

That is a planed Feature for the netx releases. It will Come in August for sure. THe workshop Module config is commented in the MM File that adds it to the Stock lab

Could you and taniwha please get together and make this mod compatible with extraplanetary launchpads? Those would go together like mashed potatoes and gravy, unfortunately they are not ressource-compatible.

Could you and taniwha please get together and make this mod compatible with extraplanetary launchpads? Those would go together like mashed potatoes and gravy, unfortunately they are not ressource-compatible.

They used to be, but the decission to get along with another resource was on purpose. In the same release I introduced thenew resource I made it configurable for everyone who liked it the way it was before. We are planning on introducing another resource to work around the problem, that some parts are very heavy and cheap, while others are very light and expensive. On a complete rocket this problem does not exist that much, because the part distribution solves it. With a single resource it is very hard to balance, because you either make some parts extremly expensive or make others so cheap, that it feels like cheating. With this introduction the compatibility to EPL will be much harder to achieve. The easiest way for you might be, to write someMM configs that add the Workshop module to the Workshop Part of EPL and maybe add an additional converter, that creates MaterialKits out of Metal / MetallicOre. In that case you could use the same infrastructure and only need to provide some storage for the MaterialKits.

Obi, do you know of any case that could turn the 3d printing lab from 2000L limit to 300L?

Here's what I did:

- Deleted the MM config that adds the workshop module to the MPL.

- Created a MM patch that raises the default 2000L limit into 18000L.

- Landed a 3D lab on Minmus, just to notice that, while at the launchpad, it was 18000L. But once on Minmus, it has been lowered to 300L.

I hyperedited a copy of the same lander to the same position as the previous one, and the same thing occured. (could it somehow be a bug in the .craft file?)

I've also hyperedited a new craft containing a 3d lab, probe core and two crew to the same position as the original, and that didn't reproduce the change.

pic 1

pic 2

Thanks.

Obi, do you know of any case that could turn the 3d printing lab from 2000L limit to 300L?

Here's what I did:

- Deleted the MM config that adds the workshop module to the MPL.

- Created a MM patch that raises the default 2000L limit into 18000L.

- Landed a 3D lab on Minmus, just to notice that, while at the launchpad, it was 18000L. But once on Minmus, it has been lowered to 300L.

I hyperedited a copy of the same lander to the same position as the previous one, and the same thing occured. (could it somehow be a bug in the .craft file?)

I've also hyperedited a new craft containing a 3d lab, probe core and two crew to the same position as the original, and that didn't reproduce the change.

pic 1

pic 2

Thanks.

the limit is determined by two values: configured limit and largest inventory, which ever is smaller. if no inventory is found the configured values is taken, because i received a report where for some reason no inventories where found although they where available. if you send me the ksp.log after you switched to the workshop vessel i will take a look.

I guess the same is happening to me, then. And this is weird.

On pic 1, I guess the workshop isn't detecting the 6,000 capacity inventory just under the lab. As such, it seems to be using the Kerbals maximum capacity (300).

What makes pic 2 even weirder: Although the available inventory space is 300 (from each kerbal boarding the 3d lab), the shown available space is as per configuration, 18,000. And if I try to build something bigger than the inventory capacity, it gets stuck on 100%, and I can't do anything about it.

Here's the log file.

In this log, I've reproduced steps to create pics 1 and 2: Hyperedited a 3d lab to land right next to the minmus base, and then switched to the minmus base.

I guess the same is happening to me, then. And this is weird.

On pic 1, I guess the workshop isn't detecting the 6,000 capacity inventory just under the lab. As such, it seems to be using the Kerbals maximum capacity (300).

What makes pic 2 even weirder: Although the available inventory space is 300 (from each kerbal boarding the 3d lab), the shown available space is as per configuration, 18,000. And if I try to build something bigger than the inventory capacity, it gets stuck on 100%, and I can't do anything about it.

Here's the log file.

In this log, I've reproduced steps to create pics 1 and 2: Hyperedited a 3d lab to land right next to the minmus base, and then switched to the minmus base.

For the final vessel you switched to it found 2 inventories with a max size of 300 litres. This should be two Kerbals. The first time you switched to a workshop vessel there was an error when it tried to get the inventories on that vessel. I will contact KospY again and show him what I did. maybe there is something i did wrong. The strange thing is, that my current implementation works most of the time and inly for some installations or even for some vessels this strange error happens. I will investigate and let you know when I found the issue (new release)

Hey, Obi. Here's a few more info from some more testing. Descriptions contain steps to reproduce.

TL;DR: Whenever I unload/reload a vessel containing the Lab, the crafting space gets reduced to 300L.

Here's the craft I'm using. Both pods (Lander can and lab) are fully crewed. It's got a 6,000L container on the bottom.

When I take this craft freshly out from the VAB, straight into the launchpad, I access the workbench and note the available crafting space: 18,000L (as per settings), instead of 6,000L.

When I unload the vessel (switch to another one, switch scenes, etc.), and load it back, I check the workbench once again and note the new available crafting space: 300L.

On my first test, I also EVA'd one of my Lab Kerbals onto the ground, and told them to climb back up to the lab. After that, I noticed both the Lab and the Can became two different vessels, although they remained attached. I couldn't reproduce this issue.

I hope this is somehow helpful. :)

Hey, Obi. Here's a few more info from some more testing. Descriptions contain steps to reproduce.

TL;DR: Whenever I unload/reload a vessel containing the Lab, the crafting space gets reduced to 300L.

Here's the craft I'm using. Both pods (Lander can and lab) are fully crewed. It's got a 6,000L container on the bottom.

When I take this craft freshly out from the VAB, straight into the launchpad, I access the workbench and note the available crafting space: 18,000L (as per settings), instead of 6,000L.

When I unload the vessel (switch to another one, switch scenes, etc.), and load it back, I check the workbench once again and note the new available crafting space: 300L.

On my first test, I also EVA'd one of my Lab Kerbals onto the ground, and told them to climb back up to the lab. After that, I noticed both the Lab and the Can became two different vessels, although they remained attached. I couldn't reproduce this issue.

I hope this is somehow helpful. :)

This is really weird. When the limit is 18.000 on the first load that means it could not find any of the inventories and falls back to the configured value. When the limit is reduced to 300 that means the workshop was able to find the crew inventories, but not the one on the bottom. If you say, that the can and the workshop somehow where two different vessels, than this is the reason. The large container is below the can, so it is not part odf the lab vessel and all inventories available are the two 300l of the crew. I have an Idea why the initial check for available inventories fails, but I have absolutly no Idea about the second problem. Did you notice that with other parts as well?

Did you notice that with other parts as well?

Talk about being weird.

I've readded the MM patch that turns the MPL into a 3D lab, and tested with that.

As you can see in the picture, there are no kerbals on the vessel. Yet... 300L.

I also tested with Kerbals in it, and the capacity was also straight down to 300L. Not even a 18.000L this time. So, I didn't bother switching vessels.

Note: The root part in this vessel is the MPL itself.

Now, about the vessels separating. I have a remote clue that this might have been caused by one of the Kerbals trying to climb up and stumbling hard against the vessel. This might have disconnected the nodes, but I can't be sure.

Talk about being weird.

I've readded the MM patch that turns the MPL into a 3D lab, and tested with that.

As you can see in the picture, there are no kerbals on the vessel. Yet... 300L.

I also tested with Kerbals in it, and the capacity was also straight down to 300L. Not even a 18.000L this time. So, I didn't bother switching vessels.

Note: The root part in this vessel is the MPL itself.

Now, about the vessels separating. I have a remote clue that this might have been caused by one of the Kerbals trying to climb up and stumbling hard against the vessel. This might have disconnected the nodes, but I can't be sure.

The MPL has a default of 300 if you did not change it in the MM patch that came with the download.

Oh, that's right. My bad.

In that case, my guess is that, as the vessel loads, the mod is kicking in before it can detect any other parts attached to the lab, and thus, not detecting the containers. Maybe if you could delay the detection, or somehow re-verify the available storage in the vessel...? That's just a guess, though.

Edited by Kowgan

Oh, that's right. My bad.

In that case, my guess is that, as the vessel loads, the mod is kicking in before it can detect any other parts attached to the lab, and thus, not detecting the containers. Maybe if you could delay the detection, or somehow re-verify the available storage in the vessel...? That's just a guess, though.

That's exactly what I was thinking about. I currently run the detection in OnLoad and I think in that phase the other modules might not have been constructed. I will move that detection to OnStart or OnGUI where I am very sure all other modules of the Vessel should have been initialized

Good luck in the tests. Crossing fingers for a good result. :)

By the way, am I one of few experiencing that, or can you easily reproduce that issue as well?

I received the same issue report from one other player but did not had it experienced myself

How hard is it to have not only max part volume but min part volume as well? I'd like to make config file for workshop designed to make only large enough parts so I'll have to bring both types of workshop to fully cover my construction needs. And it will help with craftable parts list cluttering as numerous small parts will not be shown in large-scale workshop.

How hard is it to have not only max part volume but min part volume as well? I'd like to make config file for workshop designed to make only large enough parts so I'll have to bring both types of workshop to fully cover my construction needs. And it will help with craftable parts list cluttering as numerous small parts will not be shown in large-scale workshop.

I will rework the available parts list for the next release anyways, to get rid of those weird errors. Your Idea sounds good and I might provide a configuration property for that, that defaults to zero. If you want to use it then, go can just change it.

Just wanted to report a few more tests. I've run the mod in a clean install, containing KIS, KAS, MM and Workshop (and SQUAD) only. No MM patches, though: I've changed the MaxPartVolume value directly into the workshop part file, hoping that the issue could be related to a MM patch, or even some mod incompatibility.

No luck. The workbench doesn't detect any inventories available - not even the Kerbals'. It goes straight into the configured value. :|

Just wanted to report a few more tests. I've run the mod in a clean install, containing KIS, KAS, MM and Workshop (and SQUAD) only. No MM patches, though: I've changed the MaxPartVolume value directly into the workshop part file, hoping that the issue could be related to a MM patch, or even some mod incompatibility.

No luck. The workbench doesn't detect any inventories available - not even the Kerbals'. It goes straight into the configured value. :|

I will take a look at that for the next release. thank you for all the testing effort, i highly appreciate that because i cannot test as much as i would like to

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.