[1.2] OSE Workshop - KIS Addon: (v1.1.0 - 2016.11.03)

ObiVanDamme

I'm really proud of the extractor thingy.

PracticalPersonalEidolonhelvum.gif

The workshop part itself has 3 animations, Obi is working on integrating them into his module.

Currently workshop animations don't do anything and sit as a simple AnimateGeneric module in the config. They can be deleted safely to reduce the number of buttons. The lights are good to have though.

To be able to craft parts larger than MK1 pod make the MaxPartVolume = 20000 in the workshop config.

Edited by Enceos

Could you make a 1.25m version of the ore converter? Could be useful in some cases where you don't want quite so big a part.

I need to think about that. the resource processing is placed in the same tier as 3.75meter rocket parts, so the 2.5 meter part is already smaller. it has the same size as all the other station parts

I need to think about that. the resource processing is placed in the same tier as 3.75meter rocket parts, so the 2.5 meter part is already smaller. it has the same size as all the other station parts

Congrats on leaving behind mks textures dependency, you got very nice new looks there ðŸÂ· (I like mks, but you needed a face of your own). Mission accomplished!

It would be cool to see some more dust and fumes to the surface next to the grinding wheels, maybe some wear to its teeth. That part looks too clean for its function. Heck who am I fooling, I'm no designer 😂

I don't know how small/lite are the smaller parts, but I'd be happy to put a small container/3d printer in most mid sized vessels so I can reduce planning a lot before launch and get simple parts on the fly, like a jr dock or antenna or kas pipe.

Congrats on leaving behind mks textures dependency, you got very nice new looks there ������ (I like mks, but you needed a face of your own). Mission accomplished!

It would be cool to see some more dust and fumes to the surface next to the grinding wheels, maybe some wear to its teeth. That part looks too clean for its function. Heck who am I fooling, I'm no designer ������

I don't know how small/lite are the smaller parts, but I'd be happy to put a small container/3d printer in most mid sized vessels so I can reduce planning a lot before launch and get simple parts on the fly, like a jr dock or antenna or kas pipe.

I am very happy with this release and think it was the best since the version that brought the UI with thumbnails. You can thank Enceos for that one here.

The reason you mentioned for having a 3D printer is exactly what I had in mind when starting that mod and what drives NASA's research in this field. You dont know what you might need in the future and you might even unlock new parts in the tech tree that where not available when you first launched your mission. However I think, that part production in space is by far no early technology. In fact NASA managed to produce a wrench in space and created some material samples up to now if my information is correct. There is still a lot to do in that field. The Kerbals are able to create MK1 command pods on a space station :D. I think, that I will not place this feature in an earlier node than the current one, but if you want to have that, take a look at the MM config file that adds the 3D printer to the mobile processing lab. It is commented and you should get the idea how to use it and equip other parts with the printer.

It would be cool to see some more dust and fumes to the surface next to the grinding wheels, maybe some wear to its teeth. That part looks too clean for its function. Heck who am I fooling, I'm no designer.

I agree with you that gears need more wear. But I was trying to make the textures as RAM friendly as possible. Almost every part of the texture map is reused from 2 to 20 times in the part. To make stains, scratches and dust patches individual for each gear tooth I'd have to use 1024px textures, that makes them 4 times heavier RAM vise.

When KSP gets rid of its RAM restrictions, I'll revisit the textures and make them prettier.

With the workshop part I have more freedom though, big parts need big textures. I'm not entirely happy with how it looks now. Are you?

Edited by Enceos

In the VAB and SPH i can find the 3d printing lab and i can add it to a craft.

But when i launch that craft, the model of the 3d printing lab is replace by that of a mobile workshop. When i revert the flight back to the VAB or SPH the model of the printer has been replaced as well. Have i installed something in a wrong way?

- edit -

This occurs when the optional directory is added to Gamedata. (temporarily removed it)

Edited by TheCardinal

In the VAB and SPH i can find the 3d printing lab and i can add it to a craft.

But when i launch that craft, the model of the 3d printing lab is replace by that of a mobile workshop. When i revert the flight back to the VAB or SPH the model of the printer has been replaced as well. Have i installed something in a wrong way?

- edit -

This occurs when the optional directory is added to Gamedata. (temporarily removed it)

Thank you for mentioning this. I will investigate it.

This is awesome! The ISS was intended as part of its mission to be an (experimental) orbital factory. Now we can make orbital manufactories in KSP :D

Also possibilities of refitting ships in orbit and making use of mining operations for parts production offworld. How cool is that - 10/10 will try soon.

This is awesome! The ISS was intended as part of its mission to be an (experimental) orbital factory. Now we can make orbital manufactories in KSP :D

Also possibilities of refitting ships in orbit and making use of mining operations for parts production offworld. How cool is that - 10/10 will try soon.

Hope you will enjoy it

- - - Updated - - -

Version 0.9.1 was just released and fixes the USI integration

- New textures for containers

- Fixed MM config files for optional USI Parts

Hi ObiVanDamme, would just like to ask if there's a specific order for the parts to work correctly? Every time I build/print something, they always go to the recycler.

Congratulations on the latest release by the way :)

I am very happy with this release and think it was the best since the version that brought the UI with thumbnails. You can thank Enceos for that one here.

The reason you mentioned for having a 3D printer is exactly what I had in mind when starting that mod and what drives NASA's research in this field. You dont know what you might need in the future and you might even unlock new parts in the tech tree that where not available when you first launched your mission. However I think, that part production in space is by far no early technology. In fact NASA managed to produce a wrench in space and created some material samples up to now if my information is correct. There is still a lot to do in that field. The Kerbals are able to create MK1 command pods on a space station :D. I think, that I will not place this feature in an earlier node than the current one, but if you want to have that, take a look at the MM config file that adds the 3D printer to the mobile processing lab. It is commented and you should get the idea how to use it and equip other parts with the printer.

I'll probably give it a try later rather than sooner, I'm wrapping my head around on how to update my base to MKS 0.34 which is a big deal. When I do that I'll drop the MPL in favor of the academy, which will take over its functions. BTW, maybe I'd have to scrap OSE parts to get a clean MKS upgrade. Anyway, that's the way to do it by the book, I'm only trying to find a lazier way.

a few questions:

1 - Can I upgrade to the new OSE Workshop while having the old workshop landed, or do I need to scrap it?

2- in case I can, is it possible to print new OSE parts in the old workshop, for the sake of a smooth version upgrade? I already have the 1st tech upgrade, to bigger parts (how cool is that, a printer that prints printers!). If not, can I do that in the MPL with the mod?

Hi ObiVanDamme, would just like to ask if there's a specific order for the parts to work correctly? Every time I build/print something, they always go to the recycler.

Congratulations on the latest release by the way :)

what do you mean by go to the recycled? The recycled lists all parts that are stored in all inventories on your vessel

- - - Updated - - -

I'll probably give it a try later rather than sooner, I'm wrapping my head around on how to update my base to MKS 0.34 which is a big deal. When I do that I'll drop the MPL in favor of the academy, which will take over its functions. BTW, maybe I'd have to scrap OSE parts to get a clean MKS upgrade. Anyway, that's the way to do it by the book, I'm only trying to find a lazier way.

a few questions:

1 - Can I upgrade to the new OSE Workshop while having the old workshop landed, or do I need to scrap it?

2- in case I can, is it possible to print new OSE parts in the old workshop, for the sake of a smooth version upgrade? I already have the 1st tech upgrade, to bigger parts (how cool is that, a printer that prints printers!). If not, can I do that in the MPL with the mod?

the new version does not work with the old workshops, sorry.I recommend scrapping the old parts. The OKS version should still work but the mks version will definitely not

what do you mean by go to the recycled? The recycled lists all parts that are stored in all inventories on your vessel

A couple of times I tried it, they appeared in a KIS container and in the inventory on one of the kerbals inside the 3D printer part. After that, they all appear inside the recycled menu and can't move them to other inventories.

A couple of times I tried it, they appeared in a KIS container and in the inventory on one of the kerbals inside the 3D printer part. After that, they all appear inside the recycled menu and can't move them to other inventories.

That's not a "recycled" menu, that's a menu of "recyclables", which means everything in your inventories is there if you wish to recycle something. To get the parts open your inventories directly.

Edited by Enceos

As Enceos already mentioned, there is no dedicated inventory for the recycler. It simply shows all items in all Inventories on your vessel. I am currently thinking about a global management window for the Workshop that will show you all 3D printers and recyclers with there status as well as all available Items and where to find them. Might come in the next release

That's not a "recycled" menu, that's a menu of "recyclables", which means everything in your inventories is there if you wish to recycle something. To get the parts open your inventories directly.
As Enceos already mentioned, there is no dedicated inventory for the recycler. It simply shows all items in all Inventories on your vessel. I am currently thinking about a global management window for the Workshop that will show you all 3D printers and recyclers with there status as well as all available Items and where to find them. Might come in the next release

Hi guys, thanks for taking time to reply to my questions, really appreciate it. :) =">

Am unable to transfer the newly 3d printed to another inventory.

Hi guys, thanks for taking time to reply to my questions, really appreciate it. :) =">

Am unable to transfer the newly 3d printed to another inventory.

Can you transfer manually placed items from one inventory to another? The transfer feature is part of KIS and if it does not work with other items placed there using KIS technology it might not be supported for some reason. I know there are inventories where you cannot simply transfer items from or to. If the transfer works with items placed in the inventories in the VAB or by a Kerbal on EVA please let me know as there might be an Issue with the 3D printer

Can you transfer manually placed items from one inventory to another? The transfer feature is part of KIS and if it does not work with other items placed there using KIS technology it might not be supported for some reason. I know there are inventories where you cannot simply transfer items from or to. If the transfer works with items placed in the inventories in the VAB or by a Kerbal on EVA please let me know as there might be an Issue with the 3D printer

Will test with one ship without anything in the inventories and one with a couple of stuff. I used the KIS cylindrical container that can be access both internally and externally.

- - - Updated - - -

Will test with one ship without anything in the inventories and one with a couple of stuff. I used the KIS cylindrical container that can be access both internally and externally.

They work! I assumed that newly printed stuff gets placed inside the inventories of the crew in the 3D printer part and/or the KIS container. Didn't know that they get automatically placed in the first part of the ship's inventory if it's available. *My bad* =">

Now my recover, rescue, return space station can be more efficient as ever! =">

- - - Updated - - -

They work! I assumed that newly printed stuff gets placed inside the inventories of the crew in the 3D printer part and/or the KIS container. Didn't know that they get automatically placed in the first part of the ship's inventory if it's available. *My bad* =">

Now my recover, rescue, return space station can be more efficient as ever! =">

Glad it works for you. have fun with it

I agree with you that gears need more wear. But I was trying to make the textures as RAM friendly as possible. Almost every part of the texture map is reused from 2 to 20 times in the part. To make stains, scratches and dust patches individual for each gear tooth I'd have to use 1024px textures, that makes them 4 times heavier RAM vise.

When KSP gets rid of its RAM restrictions, I'll revisit the textures and make them prettier.

With the workshop part I have more freedom though, big parts need big textures. I'm not entirely happy with how it looks now. Are you?

I'm happy that you decided to save RAM :sticktongue:

Although I'm on 64bit, I constantly struggle to tame the GPU/CPU usage.

- - - Updated - - -

the new version does not work with the old workshops, sorry.I recommend scrapping the old parts. The OKS version should still work but the mks version will definitely not

The good news is that I tried upgrading before reading this, and although the part size is smaller my vessel was still functional, even with a big ILM on top of it (they didn't touch anymore, but that didn't seem to be a problem.

The workbench queue was still functional. However, I had some items in the recycle queue, and they stopped being recycled unless the worbench had something to do. The result was that the rocket parts production=consumption, so it would neither rise nor fall. Maybe that's expected since the new resource was introduced. Rolling back the update, since I really need those rocket parts to feed my survey station until I get to produce a fabricator, which will take me a lot of gameplay time, maybe a couple of weeks.

Another thing that I noticed, and didn't read anyone talking about is that the workbench parts list scrolls very slowly. Maybe you won't notice that in decent PCs, but my laptop is SLOOOOW ;)

I'd dare make a few minor suggestions to improve the mechanics: adding a sort button to the listings so it's easier to find the parts you want to produce/recycle (either by name or size), and some way to visualize where the produced parts are going. Maybe with some highlight the way Crew Manifest does. I know this can be complex as that may depend on the part size, but even a hint on the preferred container would be useful.

Edited by Qigon

I'm happy that you decided to save RAM :sticktongue:

Although I'm on 64bit, I constantly struggle to tame the GPU/CPU usage.

- - - Updated - - -

The good news is that I tried upgrading before reading this, and although the part size is smaller my vessel was still functional, even with a big ILM on top of it (they didn't touch anymore, but that didn't seem to be a problem.

The workbench queue was still functional. However, I had some items in the recycle queue, and they stopped being recycled unless the worbench had something to do. The result was that the rocket parts production=consumption, so it would neither rise nor fall. Maybe that's expected since the new resource was introduced. Rolling back the update, since I really need those rocket parts to feed my survey station until I get to produce a fabricator, which will take me a lot of gameplay time, maybe a couple of weeks.

Another thing that I noticed, and didn't read anyone talking about is that the workbench parts list scrolls very slowly. Maybe you won't notice that in decent PCs, but my laptop is SLOOOOW ;)

I'd dare make a few minor suggestions to improve the mechanics: adding a sort button to the listings so it's easier to find the parts you want to produce/recycle (either by name or size), and some way to visualize where the produced parts are going. Maybe with some highlight the way Crew Manifest does. I know this can be complex as that may depend on the part size, but even a hint on the preferred container would be useful.

to make the list smaller you can use the filters on top of the menu. sorting the items by name is a good idea and noted for the next release. A way to find the produced parts easier is already in implementation

I have simply not been able to get this mod to build something for me. What am I doing wrong?

In order to eliminate any confusion, I did a fresh install of KSP 1.0.4, then installed the latest versions of KIS, KAS, and OSE. I'm using KIS 1.2.0 (The one that came out today), a fresh copy of KAS (also came out today) and OSE 9.1.0.

I create a new game in Sandbox mode.

I build a ship using the Cupola Module, 3D Printing Lab, OSE-3000, and ILC-18k Container. I crew the ship with Jeb in the Cupola and Bill and Bob in the 3D Printing Lab. I right click on the 3D printing Lab and click on all the buttons but I don't have a context menu where I can open the workshop or anything. What's going on here?OSE01.png

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum: I redid the test after downgrading both KAS and KIS to 1.5 and 5.2 respectively and I get a workshop context now.

Interestingly, my original test bed had KAS 1.4 on it with OSE 9.1 so that's why that wasn't working either.

From the KSP.log, it looks like OSE references something in the KIS libraries and is linked to the older ones. So with the new KIS version it stops working. I'm getting the same thing, I picked a bad time to try out OSE... Still, once recompiled against the new KIS it should be good to go.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.