[1.4.1] Fuel Tanks Plus 2.0.2 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

Cool, I've taken down note of this. I'm not sure when I'll get to work on it, just yet. Right now I'm on a bit of a break from modding, except for some general fixes (partially due to final's week here, plus other RL things).

In the meantime, I have the normals fixed on some of the tanks here, similar to what was going with CCC, so I'll probably push an update on that out if nothing else comes up soon.

Huh, cool idea. :) The good news is that I didn't really do anything fancy or complicated with the textures. I'd have to see how the procedural parts texturing works, which I'm assuming relies on looping/repeatable textures (which these aren't currently).

Oh yes! Do it, do it, do it! You know you want to :D

Seriously though, it's not that difficult once you go through the current list of textures and how they react in game. Well... I did it that way with a test installation with the absolute minimums to get the game to work for faster load times. I'm not sure of your method, but I doubt it's not that far off from my testing method.

Anyways, back to what I was going to say before I spouted worthless nonsense. If you do end up making these textures Procedural Parts compatible, I'd love to see a small assortment from your other mods. I love the nasa style jumbo tank you have in MRS, the SpaceY tanks look ridiculously beautiful, and the better textures for stock parts via ColorCodedCanisters are stunning... Boy, that'd make for a jaw-dropping texture pack!

I would just use the tanks as they are from your mods currently; literally, it pains me that I can't because they look so nice. The reason I don't use them is since ProcParts allows so much RAM to be saved because you can make any tank you so desire; there's no reason for other tanks that are of pre-made dimensions to be installed when I can make any tank I want with any size. The one downside to this, though, is the lack of great textures. Now, don't get me wrong, ProcParts has some nice default textures, and JebediahKerman42's ProcPart textures are absolutely amazing, but ProcParts lacks in the type of quality textures that are made when authors make part packs with specific color schemes.

Now, this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but I could see it becoming the star texture pack for ProcParts. That's how nice your textures are. Hopefully you'll look into making your other part packs textures available for Procedural Parts. It would, as literal as it can be since we are talking through forums, make me bow and kiss your feet ! :D

Oh yes! Do it, do it, do it! You know you want to :D

Seriously though, it's not that difficult once you go through the current list of textures and how they react in game. Well... I did it that way with a test installation with the absolute minimums to get the game to work for faster load times. I'm not sure of your method, but I doubt it's not that far off from my testing method.

Anyways, back to what I was going to say before I spouted worthless nonsense. If you do end up making these textures Procedural Parts compatible, I'd love to see a small assortment from your other mods. I love the nasa style jumbo tank you have in MRS, the SpaceY tanks look ridiculously beautiful, and the better textures for stock parts via ColorCodedCanisters are stunning... Boy, that'd make for a jaw-dropping texture pack!

I would just use the tanks as they are from your mods currently; literally, it pains me that I can't because they look so nice. The reason I don't use them is since ProcParts allows so much RAM to be saved because you can make any tank you so desire; there's no reason for other tanks that are of pre-made dimensions to be installed when I can make any tank I want with any size. The one downside to this, though, is the lack of great textures. Now, don't get me wrong, ProcParts has some nice default textures, and JebediahKerman42's ProcPart textures are absolutely amazing, but ProcParts lacks in the type of quality textures that are made when authors make part packs with specific color schemes.

Now, this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but I could see it becoming the star texture pack for ProcParts. That's how nice your textures are. Hopefully you'll look into making your other part packs textures available for Procedural Parts. It would, as literal as it can be since we are talking through forums, make me bow and kiss your feet ! :D

Glad you're like the parts and textures! Yeah, I see what you mean about procedural tanks saving memory and keeping things simple. The thing I didn't like about them, personally, is that they have just the one texture running straight to the ends of the tanks, without any sort of rim or lip to help separate them visually, or anything else to distinguish them once they're placed. I guess I'm just used to stock and stock-like tanks in that regard.

To be fair, part of the reason the tanks look great is because of the model, and not just the texture. By modeling the raised rims, and recessed grooves, the tanks look a lot better than they would with just a texture swap on a stock model. Part of that also is how I arrange the UV maps from the model into the texture. By reusing and repeating parts of the texture, I can get a higher resolution (texel density) on the object for the same sized texture file, and possibly share the texture across several parts that share similar details. Plus, this allows for adding shading in the texture that enhances the 3D-ness of the detail, when you know exactly which part of the texture is in each place on the model.

I cant do any of that when making a texture for simple cylindrical models without additional modeled details. But having said that, some of the basic patterns and the like probably can be translated over. I just haven't had a chance to look at it yet. :)

Edited by NecroBones

Awesome! Glad you like it. :) Let me know when you do that; I love seeing the vids & pictures that feature my parts.

Sure, no problem, filming is slated to start as soon as these things come to pass:

-I can figure out the recorder (keeps recording a black screen)

-I know whether or not my family is moving/we have finished moving

-life gets back in order

-I learn how to fly this guy's space shuttle

Yeah...might be a bit, but I am working on it

Awesome! Glad you like it. :) Let me know when you do that; I love seeing the vids & pictures that feature my parts.

Here's my prototype Duna expedition ship, on a practice run to the Mun. Completely stock game, except for FTP because I really loved the look of your tanks. :)

Mun-Duna-ship-FTP-test.jpg

I haven't had time to work on much else, but I wanted to at least get some of the "normals" fixed on some of these tanks, similar to what I just did in Color Coded Canisters. The problems with the shadows and lighting weren't as noticeable on these tanks, but it was worth adjusting anyway.

0.6 (2015-03-02) - Beta, tweaks
- Adjusted normals (light/shadow angles) on many of the fuel tanks.

Awesome! That looks pretty cool together like that. :)

It looks pretty cool, but that tall conical lander design doesn't fly worth crap. Wobbles at the decoupler between the stages, doesn't have enough torque to steer easily, the Clamp-O-Tron Jr. docking port on the nose is too wobbly, and the whole thing tends to fall over if the landing surface is the least bit inclined (in spite of having six landing legs mounted on the outsides of the radial engines). I've built a Mk2 design which might work a little better, but if I stick with it, it's likely to be a few more iterations before it's really good. Given the aero changes in the upcoming version, it may be worthwhile to do so.

I know I must be dense, but I cannot find anything anywhere about Fuel Switcher other then a bunch of mods support it. Can someone point me to where I can actually find it? Or is it included in FTP+? I ask because I was messing with the new probe tanks and one of the triagle tanks says it is a Xenon tank but has LFO. In the VAB, I can "Next Tank Setup" and it will change to LF or O or nothing, but I never see Xenon.

So am I using Fuel Switcher or is there a problem with the tank or is the tank mislabeled as a Xenon tank or (which is more likely) I haven't a clue what I'm doing!! :)

I know I must be dense, but I cannot find anything anywhere about Fuel Switcher other then a bunch of mods support it. Can someone point me to where I can actually find it? Or is it included in FTP+? I ask because I was messing with the new probe tanks and one of the triagle tanks says it is a Xenon tank but has LFO. In the VAB, I can "Next Tank Setup" and it will change to LF or O or nothing, but I never see Xenon.

So am I using Fuel Switcher or is there a problem with the tank or is the tank mislabeled as a Xenon tank or (which is more likely) I haven't a clue what I'm doing!! :)

Fuel Switcher isn't included with FTP, no. I pulled some of the sample configs from another mod pack. I don't have it in front of me right now, so I'm forgetting the details. I'm not sure if it's a standalone mod, or one that's just bundled with some of the other fuel mods.

Hey, necro, could you make a domed fuel tank cap for some of your larger tanks, preferable the white and orange tanks, please. I am trying to make an external fuel tank, and that is the last piece.

Yep! I was just thinking about that recently, in fact.

Are the 3.75m fueled nose cones not in the wrong science node?

You're right! I've moved them to the 3.75m tech node (for the next release).

Cool, I've taken down note of this. I'm not sure when I'll get to work on it, just yet. Right now I'm on a bit of a break from modding, except for some general fixes (partially due to final's week here, plus other RL things).

Even if you don't have time for an entire PPP, maybe just rippled FL-T50 and S3-1800?

Uploaded 0.7:

0.7 (2015-03-19) - Beta
- Moved the 3.75m nose cone tanks to the "Very Heavy Rocketry" tech node (alongside the other 3.75m tanks)
- Corrected the attachment node size for the 3.75m nose cone tanks.
- Added "bottom" dome parts for external tanks, in both 2.5m and 3.75m.
- Added FL-T50 fuel tank.

It already has the S3-1800, but the FL-T50 is a good idea. I'll probably see about getting one of those and some dome tanks in fairly soon.
Uploaded 0.7:

0.7 (2015-03-19) - Beta
- Moved the 3.75m nose cone tanks to the "Very Heavy Rocketry" tech node (alongside the other 3.75m tanks)

Yeah, that was "fairly soon".

Hooray for the FL-T50. I've been needing that a lot.

S3-1800. Oh, yes, there it is indeed. I was using R&S Capsuledyne's, and didn't even look for another.

Maybe a perfectly hemispherical 1.25m tank with 2/3 of the FL-T100's fuel for use both as nose cone and bottom? Perfect for drop tanks.

Also, you could expand both FTP and CCC to include RCS tanks. I'm not sure of (any logic in) the stacked tank naming scheme, but here are some ideas:

Stack:

1. FL-R1 RCS Tank: 750.0 MP – just overlay* a 1.25m-size (i.e. leaving a 0.625m wide band along the edge) yellow top and bottom
  2. FL-R39 RCS Tank: 375.0 MP – like R1, but half height with two rivets per gray plate [··] instead of four [::]

3. FL-R25 RCS Tank: 250.0 MP – already CCC'd
  4. FL-R13 RCS Tank: 125.0 MP – like CCC'd R25, but half height with just a single centered yellow band instead of two.

5. FL-R10 RCS Tank: 80.0 MP – as is, just overlay red top instead of stock beige(!)
  6. FL-R07 RCS Tank: 40.0 MP – like R10, but half height with all-yellow side.

Radial:

1. Stratus-V Conified Monopropellant Tank 60: Like Aerodynamic Nose Cone but styled like FL-R10; white with yellow band
  2. Stratus-V Cylindrified Monopropellant Tank: 150 – leave as-is
  3. Stratus-V Roundified Monopropellant Tank: 60 – leave as-is
  4. Stratus-V Bulgified Monopropellant Tank: 20 – top half of a Roundified, but with the mounting reduced to a ring, both surface attachable and with a bottom 0.625m node for use as a nose cone.

*Or, if you are feeling up to redoing the model; add a recessed 1.25m plate to match the style of R25 and R13.

Edited by NBZ
Updated names to polynomial fit

Well, the stock 125cm inline RCS tank is named FL-R25 and holds 250 units, and the 62.5cm FL-R10 holds 80 units. So it's almost R### where ### is 1/10th of the monoprop units.

Ok. I changed it to a polynomial fit. Pop the following line into a spreadsheet with capacity in top left corner to get reasonable names for capacities between 10 and 2900:

=LEFT("FL-R0",4+(A1<80))&ROUND((4.7849+0.0578139*A1+0.0000921861*A1^2)/(100^(A1>=750)),0)

At least it makes it simple to add more tanks later. Examples:

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]

A teeny 1/8 FL-R10

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R05[/TD]

[TD]10 MP (Smallest!)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

A tiny 1/4 FL-R10

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R06[/TD]

[TD]20 MP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

A quadruple FL-R10

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R33[/TD]

[TD]320 MP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

A 1/2 FL-R10

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R07[/TD]

[TD]40 MP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

10 times the FL-R25

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R7[/TD]

[TD]2500 MP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

An approximately 3/4 FL-R1

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R70[/TD]

[TD]585 MP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

A double FL-R10

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R16[/TD]

[TD]160 MP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

A double FL-R25

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R57[/TD]

[TD]500 MP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

A double FL-R1

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R3[/TD]

[TD]1500 MP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

50% larger FL-R25

[/TD]

[TD]Fl-R39[/TD]

[TD]375 MP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

50% larger FL-R1

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R2[/TD]

[TD]1125 MP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

Almost 4 times FL-1

[/TD]

[TD]FL-R9[/TD]

[TD]2900 (Largest!)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I updated my post accordingly.

Holy cow, that's quite a list. :)

For now I'll mark down on the "to-do list" a plan to circle back and do monopropellant tanks. I can see where some additional sizes might be very useful.

I'm also thinking that since I did white & orange "3/4 jumbo" lengths, doing those in the other colors might be useful too.

Again, I'm not sure when these will happen. My modding time is running a little thin right now.

Uploaded 0.7:

0.7 (2015-03-19) - Beta

Still loving it - but I think the FL-T50 has the wrong fuel amounts:

RESOURCE

{

name = LiquidFuel

amount = 270

maxAmount = 270

}

RESOURCE

{

name = Oxidizer

amount = 330

maxAmount = 330

}

should be:

RESOURCE

{

name = LiquidFuel

amount = 22.5

maxAmount = 22.5

}

RESOURCE

{

name = Oxidizer

amount = 27.5

maxAmount = 27.5

}

Still loving it - but I think the FL-T50 has the wrong fuel amounts:

Holy cow, I don't know how that slipped past me. I'm also surprised it took a week before it got noticed. LOL.

I'll put out an update ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

Posted:

0.7.1 (2015-03-25) - Beta
- Corrected fuel capacity of the FL-T50 fuel tank.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.