[1.4.1] Fuel Tanks Plus 2.0.2 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

I love your mods, but the 5m fuel tanks failed to show up in the vab or hanger... I got around that with resize parts mod, but there's a glitch that causes one part to revert back to the original sizes and its glitchy as hell... any ideas how to get this working please? I love this mod.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, I was actually asking about a different mod you made... the 5m fuel tanks spaceY mod, but couldn't find a link to the forum.

I love your mods, but the 5m fuel tanks failed to show up in the vab or hanger... I got around that with resize parts mod, but there's a glitch that causes one part to revert back to the original sizes and its glitchy as hell... any ideas how to get this working please? I love this mod.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, I was actually asking about a different mod you made... the 5m fuel tanks spaceY mod, but couldn't find a link to the forum.

I see you found the thread; I'll respond over there.

In-progress screenshot below. I'm working on a set of Liquid Fuel tanks for use with the nuclear engines, now that they don't use Oxidizer.

Well that's fantastic news. Have you considered matching nosecones for the 1.25m ones - something the same shape as the Type B advanced nosecone would look great.

Well that's fantastic news. Have you considered matching nosecones for the 1.25m ones - something the same shape as the Type B advanced nosecone would look great.

That's something I can certainly do. I'm writing it down. :)

- - - Updated - - -

---------------------

Version 0.9 is ready for play-testing.

The cool thing is that even though I added six new tanks, the memory usage isn't really increasing much, since they're still sharing textures. No new textures were added (just edited).

The nuclear tanks were designed to be stock-balanced by starting with the same-sized stock tank's stats (price, dry mass, etc), removing the Oxidizer, and then doubling the Liquid Fuel. This means that the propellant mass is about 90% of the equivalent stock LFO tank, but that seems fair since in reality, Liquid Hydrogen tanks have more mass overhead anyway, and also the mass ratio is pretty close to some of the aircraft parts, if not a hair better in some cases.

0.9 (2015-05-19) - Balance tweaks, Nuclear tanks
- Re-balanced the Oscar-like tanks to correspond to the Oscar-B changes.
- Adjusted Interstellar Fuel Switch config to not load if CryoEngines is installed (so Cryo can do the right thing).
- Added LF-only tanks (1.25m and 2.5m) for use with nuclear engines.

Hey, apparently the fuel in tank doesn't correspond to the correct fuel type (using InterstellarFuelSwitch) after the latest update:

Monoprop. instead of Oxidizer

http://i.imgur.com/cORdZFG.jpg

Electric instead of LFOx

http://i.imgur.com/7KhboC4.jpg

OK cool. It looks like it was just the one tank. I found the mistake, and have put it out as a hot fix:

0.9.1 (2015-05-19) - Hot fix.
- Fixed Interstellar Fuel Switch config for S3-10800 tank.

OK cool. It looks like it was just the one tank. I found the mistake, and have put it out as a hot fix:

0.9.1 (2015-05-19) - Hot fix.
- Fixed Interstellar Fuel Switch config for S3-10800 tank.

Yay! Tank you so much!:wink: The S3-10800 is one of my favorite tank from FTP! Keep up the good work!

That's something I can certainly do. I'm writing it down. :)

:-)

Great work with the nuclear tanks - something like that should have been included in KSP 1.0, I guess. Although I'm not going to give SQUAD too hard a time given all the other cool toys they've sent us. But anyway - I really like the ones you've made, just the job for my surveyor fleet. Thanks!

Yay! Tank you so much!:wink: The S3-10800 is one of my favorite tank from FTP! Keep up the good work!
:-)

Great work with the nuclear tanks - something like that should have been included in KSP 1.0, I guess. Although I'm not going to give SQUAD too hard a time given all the other cool toys they've sent us. But anyway - I really like the ones you've made, just the job for my surveyor fleet. Thanks!

My pleasure! :)

BTW, nose cones:

KSP%202015-05-20%2019-15-07-76.jpg

0.10 is up. This is just adding some new tanks, including a pair of 1.25m nose cones, and a bunch of radial single-propellant tanks (3 sizes).

0.10 (2015-05-22) - More tanks.
- Added a pair of 1.25m nose cone fuel tanks.
- Added 3 tiers of single-propellant radial tanks (LF, Oxidizer, or MonoProp)

KSP%202015-05-22%2013-25-11-56.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

Since this mod has so many parts that are basically the same thing only in a different texture, it would be cool if there was only one part for each size and it had a tweakable to change the texture.

And the fuel. Bac9 implemented such a method in his B9 Aerospace mod. Granted, it does use some external dll for the switching, maybe it was TextureSwitcher. His implementation changes texture based on fuel type though, which is something really cool that Necro could probably do as a big leap towards clutter optimisation.

For example all of the different colored tanks could be consolidated within one part entry with texture switching capability. All of the radial tanks could be consolidated in 1 entry with fuel switch, triggering a texture switch in turn.

Since this mod has so many parts that are basically the same thing only in a different texture, it would be cool if there was only one part for each size and it had a tweakable to change the texture.
And the fuel. Bac9 implemented such a method in his B9 Aerospace mod. Granted, it does use some external dll for the switching, maybe it was TextureSwitcher. His implementation changes texture based on fuel type though, which is something really cool that Necro could probably do as a big leap towards clutter optimisation.

For example all of the different colored tanks could be consolidated within one part entry with texture switching capability. All of the radial tanks could be consolidated in 1 entry with fuel switch, triggering a texture switch in turn.

I know I would also enjoy this. I've been tempted to figure out how to set it up myself to get it done. I dream of the part clutter I could save!

As long as I'm just dropping in requests, might I also request a new tank skin texture, the polished aluminum (almost chrome), like is seen on the Atlas-Mercury launch vehicles? This look just grabs me and feels missing from the game (unless I use FASA). Thoughts?

220px-Mercury_Atlas_9_HR.jpg
Edited by Black-Talon

Yeah, it sounds nice, but it's not likely to happen. Right now the mod is set up to be free of any dependencies on other mods. Also, the texture sharing method I'm using to keep the memory footprint low might not work with other solutions. It would require switching out the model, not the texture. So maybe not impossible, but I'm not sure that's the direction we want to go.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I would also enjoy this. I've been tempted to figure out how to set it up myself to get it done. I dream of the part clutter I could save!

Yeah, it may be worth looking into at some point. But it would introduce a dependency, and as I said it would also need to do model switching instead of texture switching.

As long as I'm just dropping in requests, might I also request a new tank skin texture, the polished aluminum (almost chrome), like is seen on the Atlas-Mercury launch vehicles? This look just grabs me and feels missing from the game (unless I use FASA). Thoughts?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/83/Mercury_Atlas_9_HR.jpg/220px-Mercury_Atlas_9_HR.jpg

Yeah, I'm thinking about it. The silvery-grey tanks I have in there were inspired by that, but didn't go full-on chrome/silver. It's tricky to get that to look right, but not impossible. So it's something I'm keeping in mind. :)

Yeah, I'm thinking about it. The silvery-grey tanks I have in there were inspired by that, but didn't go full-on chrome/silver. It's tricky to get that to look right, but not impossible. So it's something I'm keeping in mind. :)

Thanks for the consideration if nothing else. It's interesting that FASA appears to pull it off. When I use those Atlas tanks it really leaves me this impression of shiny. And yet, when I really look at it closely in screenshots, it isn't all that different from the default grey tanks we have. A bit more of a trick to get the look than I ever realized.

I am going to be doing a summer project that makes a new tech tree, and I am going to be making modulemanager files to fit these parts to the tech tree, and I am putting this project on curse/KerbalX, do I have your permission?

Thanks for the consideration if nothing else. It's interesting that FASA appears to pull it off. When I use those Atlas tanks it really leaves me this impression of shiny. And yet, when I really look at it closely in screenshots, it isn't all that different from the default grey tanks we have. A bit more of a trick to get the look than I ever realized.

Yeah, I think part of what they did was use a sort of brushed-metal texture image that already has a lot of reflection included. It's almost a form of trickery, but then again, most visual effects are trickery anyway. :) I'll have to take another look, since I do think it's a cool effect.

I am going to be doing a summer project that makes a new tech tree, and I am going to be making modulemanager files to fit these parts to the tech tree, and I am putting this project on curse/KerbalX, do I have your permission?

Oh absolutely. Feel free to write up whatever configs you like for your tech tree.

Yeah, I think part of what they did was use a sort of brushed-metal texture image that already has a lot of reflection included. It's almost a form of trickery, but then again, most visual effects are trickery anyway. :) I'll have to take another look, since I do think it's a cool effect.

I took another look at FASA, and part of what they're doing is that they have a (public domain) reflection mapping plugin included. This is what's enabling the really shiny, realistic reflections that make it truly look like polished metal. It's possible that I could include this too to make some of the tanks reflective in a similar way.

I played around with adding some reflections to the existing nuclear and "silver" tanks, but I'm not thoroughly happy with the results. Bare metal tanks are still a possibility, but probably won't be in right away. ;)

Feature request: Could you add Modular Fuel Tanks support? (This will also get you RealFuels support, I think. These tanks are awesome and MFT/RF support will only enhance their awesomeness.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.