[1.4.1] Fuel Tanks Plus 2.0.2 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

The new LaunchStabilityEnhancer from SpacY Enhanced have a toggle flag option but nothing happens if i click it. Works fine for the tanks but not the LSE.

And:

Just tested the parts from LET they are awsome. I cant wait to see the IVAs and additional parts.

And:

I just wanted to repeat my wish for a really overpowered "Sepratron"-like thing

http://i.imgur.com/CClUgrR.jpg
(jeb seems to want it too)

Ah, yeah I accidentally left a flagDecal module in the new launch clamps, even though they don't have flag decals. I'll fix that.

For the sepratrons, MRS has a 3x model called "Flingatron", and SpaceY has a 10x model called "Ejectatron". :)

Posted:

1.2.2 (2015-10-08) - Tweaks.
- Renamed the 0.625m red variant "Titan", after the thrust vectoring tanks on the Centaur/Titan LOWER STAGE rocket boosters.
- Corrected the attachment node size on the adapter fuel tanks.
- Moved the 0.625m-1.25m adapter tank to the "Miniaturization" tech node.
- Moved the 1.25m-2.5m adapter tank down to the "Fuel Systems" tech node.

Thank you for making such great mods.

Thank you for responding to suggestions so fast.

Thank you for making frequent updates.

Why aren't you on Patreon?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for updating changelogs in threads before CKAN even indexes the updates.

Thank you for making such great mods.

Thank you for responding to suggestions so fast.

Thank you for making frequent updates.

Why aren't you on Patreon?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for updating changelogs in threads before CKAN even indexes the updates.

Hehe, thanks and you're welcome. Glad you're enjoying the mods!

The reason I'm not on Patreon is pretty simple. If I were taking money for this, it would feel more like work and less like a hobby, and I'd feel obligated to do things. Right now, I can just work on things here and there as time permits and not feel bad about it. If I had an arrangement with Squad, that would probably be different, but for the mods it's probably best for all of us that it stay casual. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi NecroBones,

1. I have come to absolutely adore these tanks, and though I was sceptical (read: deleted the cfg's) to the color options at first, I now find myself using them so quickly that I anticipate where the blue "next variant" button will show up before my slow laptop manages to render it. However, some tanks have the color variation above the fuel-switcher variation, and some have the opposite. Would if be a huge work to harmonize?

2. Lately, I've been doing some launching and rendezvousing of large-diameter vehicles before researching vernier thrusters. I found myself in need of monopropellant in other form factors than the stock provides. What do you say to 3.75m, 2.5m, 1.25m, and 0.625m MP flat tanks , i.e. half height tanks with respectively 3t, 1t, 0.33t, and 0.11t MP? (It wouldn't really be "half" for 3.75m, as there isn't any 3.75m MP tank, but I think 9t MP is overkill.) I imaging that you wouldn't even need any new textures at all, just map the middle part out of the vertical texture...

3. Lastly, for very tiny probes, I would a half-sphere LFO tank (Looking like half a Styputnik), but with top-node (for antenna), would be a nice addition, fit into the current selection of "bottom"-domes (I use them mainly on top because they have a node for a parachute), and complement the 1.25m-to-0.625m fueled cone (for easy plavement of antenna).

1. I have come to absolutely adore these tanks, and though I was sceptical (read: deleted the cfg's) to the color options at first, I now find myself using them so quickly that I anticipate where the blue "next variant" button will show up before my slow laptop manages to render it. However, some tanks have the color variation above the fuel-switcher variation, and some have the opposite. Would if be a huge work to harmonize?

That's always bugged me too. I didn't think I had control over that, but it looks like I actually can, to a point (well enough to fix this).

2. Lately, I've been doing some launching and rendezvousing of large-diameter vehicles before researching vernier thrusters. I found myself in need of monopropellant in other form factors than the stock provides. What do you say to 3.75m, 2.5m, 1.25m, and 0.625m MP flat tanks , i.e. half height tanks with respectively 3t, 1t, 0.33t, and 0.11t MP? (It wouldn't really be "half" for 3.75m, as there isn't any 3.75m MP tank, but I think 9t MP is overkill.) I imaging that you wouldn't even need any new textures at all, just map the middle part out of the vertical texture...

Technically with the fuel switching capability, the "nuclear" tanks can be re-purposed, but none of them are so small. So that's probably doable. I'll have to look at my textures and see if I have any left over space to work with. Otherwise it's probably not terrible to pull from the stock textures for the yellow canister parts.

3. Lastly, for very tiny probes, I would a half-sphere LFO tank (Looking like half a Styputnik), but with top-node (for antenna), would be a nice addition, fit into the current selection of "bottom"-domes (I use them mainly on top because they have a node for a parachute), and complement the 1.25m-to-0.625m fueled cone (for easy plavement of antenna).

That should be doable. Actually, missing a "bottom dome" here could be seen as a bit of an oversight. :)

Technically with the fuel switching capability, the "nuclear" tanks can be re-purposed, but none of them are so small. So that's probably doable. I'll have to look at my textures and see if I have any left over space to work with. Otherwise it's probably not terrible to pull from the stock textures for the yellow canister parts.

It looks like I don't really have space in the existing textures, but I think a good solution might be one small new texture that can be shared among the monoprop tanks. I'll think about it a little before starting.

That should be doable. Actually, missing a "bottom dome" here could be seen as a bit of an oversight. :)

I have a model done for 0.625m, but also realized that we don't have one in 1.25m either.

It looks like I don't really have space in the existing textures, but I think a good solution might be one small new texture that can be shared among the monoprop tanks. I'll think about it a little before starting.

You already have the needed textures in CCC, but it isn't a dependency. (Wonder if anyone uses FTP without CCC...) Can map to stock textures if CCC isn't installed, but to CCC's texures if it is?

I have a model done for 0.625m, but also realized that we don't have one in 1.25m either.

But there is a conical one. It is unlikely that people want a domed external tank (like STS-ET) in 1.25. On the other hand, it would look cool to clip "Spark" engines into a bottom dome...

Oh, I forgot to add-- The hemisphere 0.625m tank I made is oriented as a nose-cone, rather than a bottom tank, and is also radially attachable in addition to being stackable. That way you can attach domes radially as well with it. I couldn't get the radial attachment to work correctly with it oriented as a bottom dome. Obviously it can be flipped in-game to use on the bottom if you want.

For now I may leave out a bottom-dome for 1.25m, since the 0.625m dome isn't technically adding something that will leave a "diameter gap" in between for the same style of parts. ;)

I had some time to get these things working. Let me know if you spot any problems:

1.3 (2015-10-21) - Update.
- Adjusted MM configs so that color switching buttons appear after fuel switching in menus.
- Added 0.625 semi-spherical cap tank.
- Added 1.25m semi-spherical bottom tank.
- Added "half height" monopropellant tanks for 0.625m, 1.25m, 2.5m, and 3.75m.
- Minor consolidation in TweakScale configs.

- Added "half height" monopropellant tanks for 0.625m, 1.25m, 2.5m, and 3.75m.

Honestly, the day after I install this, you update it :rolleyes::D

Anyway, you have no idea how much I have wanted a smaller capacity 2.5m MP tank.. 750 is way more than I would ever need, except for refuelling stations (which I don't usually do).

Honestly, the day after I install this, you update it :rolleyes::D

Anyway, you have no idea how much I have wanted a smaller capacity 2.5m MP tank.. 750 is way more than I would ever need, except for refuelling stations (which I don't usually do).

lol, good timing I guess. :) Yeah, I thought those were a great suggestion. I've often used just a few of the small radial tanks to get around it before, but having an inline option is always nice.

There seems to be an issue with the 0.625m tank capacities in FuelTanksPlus_FuelSwitch.cfg.

TPtank0mL00175 shows a capacity of 9 LF, 11 OX, but the values in the FuelSwitch cfg are 2.7 LF, 3.3 OX.

TPtank0mL00700 shows a capacity of 25.2 LF, 30.8 OX, but the values in the FuelSwitch cfg are 13.5 LF, 16.5 OX.

TPtank0mL01350 shows a capacity of 36 LF, 44 OX, but the values in the FuelSwitch cfg are 27 LF, 33 OX.

The volumes for the other resources seem to be off by the same factors. Edit: or maybe not?

TPtank0mL01875 and TPcone0m1 both match between their cfgs and FuelSwitch cfg.

TPtank0mL00938 has values in the FuelSwitch cfg, 22.5 LF, 27.5 OX, but I don't see that part actually existing. I'm guessing that it's half the size of 01875, so that looks right.

Edit2: Looking at the sizes, I think I can see where those values in the FuelSwitch cfg are coming from. When comparing to the stock Oscar-B, they're way off, but against the other stock and FTP sizes they're reasonable. Which leads to the conclusion that the other tanks are full of empty space, or the Oscar-B warps space...

Edited by NoPanShabuShabu

Hey, great mod! This is one of my must haves, it really gives me some great options in making clean looking rockets, along with most of your other mods. But I'm running into a bit of a problem, my current KSP build won't let me switch textures. I recently started a career with the New Horizons mod, and between your mods, a few of the Roverdude mods, and New Horizons, my poor little computer is right at it's RAM limit. Is it possible for the game to push the tweakable stuff out of memory in order to load other things?

The reason I think this is because I had a stable build going for about a week, then installed the cloud pack for New Horizons. That pushed the RAM requirement past what I have available, and KSP kept crashing. After careful consideration of mods and parts to remove, the game finally loads, but I think it's just barely under the cap. I can change scenes and build stuff just fine, just can't switch textures, or what's in the tanks. It's almost like Interstellar fuel doesn't load. Interestingly enough, my Historian mod doesn't work anymore either. Any insight into this would be helpful. I'll try to pull out a few more mods tonight, but there's not much else I want to get rid of for the sake of building the designs I want to.

There seems to be an issue with the 0.625m tank capacities in FuelTanksPlus_FuelSwitch.cfg.

TPtank0mL00175 shows a capacity of 9 LF, 11 OX, but the values in the FuelSwitch cfg are 2.7 LF, 3.3 OX.

TPtank0mL00700 shows a capacity of 25.2 LF, 30.8 OX, but the values in the FuelSwitch cfg are 13.5 LF, 16.5 OX.

TPtank0mL01350 shows a capacity of 36 LF, 44 OX, but the values in the FuelSwitch cfg are 27 LF, 33 OX.

OK, I'll go fix those. What happened is that the Oscar-B's stats got changed in one of the 1.0.X releases, and I rebalanced these tanks to match, but didn't remember to also change it in the fuel switching config.

I can change scenes and build stuff just fine, just can't switch textures, or what's in the tanks. It's almost like Interstellar fuel doesn't load. Interestingly enough, my Historian mod doesn't work anymore either. .

Yeah, I've seen a couple of cases of people reporting that InterstellarFuelSwitch is installed but not doing anything. I'd try removing and re-adding it. Are you seeing the "z-fighting" thing with the tanks trying to be all of the colors at once? Or just that the menu option doesn't come up?

Since FTP considers IFS (or Firespitter in its place) to be a prerequisite, it's not trying to detect whether it's there to add the appearance-switching and fuel-switching modules. However, it's trying to name the modules based on what's detected. If it ModuleManager doesn't think IFS is installed, then it'll try to use the Firespitter version instead. So I'd double check that IFS is installed in the correct directory so that MM knows what to do.

Talking of switching textures, I'd like to ask the opposite - how can I add my own textures?

Unfortunately that's a bit difficult with how FTP works. Each diameter only has one texture, shared across the tanks, which contains all of the current colors. It's using mesh-switching to switch between the colors, which allows for that single-texture system to work, plus allows for details to switch, such as pipes and tank rims and the like.

To do it (without adding it from my end) would require making additional models (mu files) to add to the mesh switching config.

- - - Updated - - -

TPtank0mL00938 has values in the FuelSwitch cfg, 22.5 LF, 27.5 OX, but I don't see that part actually existing. I'm guessing that it's half the size of 01875, so that looks right.

Yeah, I think I had intended to add that part, but never did. It's in the fuel switcher, but hasn't actually existed so far.

[quote name=NecroBones;2272649Yeah' date=' I've seen a couple of cases of people reporting that InterstellarFuelSwitch is installed but not doing anything. I'd try removing and re-adding it. Are you seeing the "z-fighting" thing with the tanks trying to be all of the colors at once? Or just that the menu option doesn't come up?

Since FTP considers IFS (or Firespitter in its place) to be a prerequisite, it's not trying to detect whether it's there to add the appearance-switching and fuel-switching modules. However, it's trying to name the modules based on what's detected. If it ModuleManager doesn't think IFS is installed, then it'll try to use the Firespitter version instead. So I'd double check that IFS is installed in the correct directory so that MM knows what to do.

So after some tweaking, I have a few more observations. Some of them probably won't apply to your mod, but I found them interesting none the less, so please bear with me. This is the order of what I've done so far.

1: Reinstalled both FTP and Historian. No change on historian. I found that with FTP, I could switch details of your custom tanks, but I couldn't change skins or contents of the stock fuel tanks. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not sure if this has always been the case, as I never thought to look at the custom tanks if I could modify them.

2: Deleted Realplume and reinstalled Hot rockets in it's place. This has drastically lowered my RAM footprint for the game (by around 500mb!), but my problems still remained, and I was hit with the weird smoke trail in space bug I've seen attributed with Hot Rockets acting up.

3: Deleted Module Manager config files and let the game rewrite them. Still no stock fuel tank fix, and haven't had a chance to see if that fixed the smoke trail bug. This has also rendered my save invalid (good thing I backed up.)

Tonight when I get home I'll try deleting FTP and IFS and installing fresh again. Two things though. Would installing a newer version of IFS possibly overwrite something to cause this issue? Also, I'm assuming that it's safe to have IFS and Firespitter installed at the same time? I think my USI stuff requires FS, so I can't just get rid of it to see if this fixes it. It's a bummer that working this issue has caused me to lose a save, but I'm not that far into it that I can't start over.

So after some tweaking, I have a few more observations. Some of them probably won't apply to your mod, but I found them interesting none the less, so please bear with me. This is the order of what I've done so far.

1: Reinstalled both FTP and Historian. No change on historian. I found that with FTP, I could switch details of your custom tanks, but I couldn't change skins or contents of the stock fuel tanks. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not sure if this has always been the case, as I never thought to look at the custom tanks if I could modify them.

2: Deleted Realplume and reinstalled Hot rockets in it's place. This has drastically lowered my RAM footprint for the game (by around 500mb!), but my problems still remained, and I was hit with the weird smoke trail in space bug I've seen attributed with Hot Rockets acting up.

3: Deleted Module Manager config files and let the game rewrite them. Still no stock fuel tank fix, and haven't had a chance to see if that fixed the smoke trail bug. This has also rendered my save invalid (good thing I backed up.)

Tonight when I get home I'll try deleting FTP and IFS and installing fresh again. Two things though. Would installing a newer version of IFS possibly overwrite something to cause this issue? Also, I'm assuming that it's safe to have IFS and Firespitter installed at the same time? I think my USI stuff requires FS, so I can't just get rid of it to see if this fixes it. It's a bummer that working this issue has caused me to lose a save, but I'm not that far into it that I can't start over.

Yep, it's safe to run Firespitter and IFS together, as far as I know. I haven't seen any problems in any case.

This might be a silly question, but did you also install Color Coded Canisters? CCC is the one that adds appearance switching to the stock tanks, but only if FTP is present to provide the textures.

Unfortunately that's a bit difficult with how FTP works. Each diameter only has one texture, shared across the tanks, which contains all of the current colors. It's using mesh-switching to switch between the colors, which allows for that single-texture system to work, plus allows for details to switch, such as pipes and tank rims and the like.

To do it (without adding it from my end) would require making additional models (mu files) to add to the mesh switching config.

Nuts.. thanks anyway, it was worth a shot asking :)

Yep, it's safe to run Firespitter and IFS together, as far as I know. I haven't seen any problems in any case.

This might be a silly question, but did you also install Color Coded Canisters? CCC is the one that adds appearance switching to the stock tanks, but only if FTP is present to provide the textures.

Erm... Hey, what's that thing over there?! *Points at nothing, runs away when people look.*

So, in my mad grab to try and squeeze USI, New Horizons, RealPlume, your mods, and all the other stuff in one install, CCC was one of the mods I thought was safe enough to get rid of. Knowing that that's where the switching ability comes from, I'll put it back in tonight. Problem solved, now if I could figure out what caused some of my ui mods to act weird, I'll be good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.