[1.4.1] Fuel Tanks Plus 2.0.2 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

1 hour ago, veber said:

Strange error occurs with "Oscar-A 0.625m" fuel tanks. If you switch from the satellite (the object) to the space center, and then return back to him, then this tank caps disappear. Although initially in the VAB, the caps were present.

Not fatal, but visually looks naked. :)

Yeah, unfortunately that's going to happen sometimes. It's a KSP bug with shrouds. Is the panel on the top of the tank still there? I think this happens when they're both in use. In other mods I started using only a top shroud panel, and not one on the bottom as well. It seems to work more reliably that way.

4 hours ago, veber said:

No, the second (on the top) also disappeared.

OK. Yeah, I've heard of that sort of thing happening. Sadly there's not much I can do. They're not supposed to vanish at all if the joints are still connected. Sometimes KSP loses them randomly, and often all of the panels will get removed if one end gets staged with a decoupler. Just quirks with how KSP handles things. I suspect it won't be fixed until they add a stock part that tries to use the shroud system in a more complex way like my parts do.

I suspect this is the wrong place (I'm also going to post in Interstellar Fuel Switch also), but I can't seem to modify the volume of the tanks via module manager. When I use the following, I see the volume increase in the part selector, but once I place the part the volume returns to normal.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]
	{
		@volume *= 1.5
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
	@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]
	{
		@amount *= 1.5
		@maxAmount *= 1.5 
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Oxidizer]]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
	@RESOURCE[Oxidizer]
	{
		@amount *= 1.5
		@maxAmount *= 1.5 
	}
}

The result is what you see below:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://imgur.com/gAeIssJ (compare the right-click volume to the part selector volume)

Edited by FlexGunship

12 hours ago, FlexGunship said:

I suspect this is the wrong place (I'm also going to post in Interstellar Fuel Switch also), but I can't seem to modify the volume of the tanks via module manager. When I use the following, I see the volume increase in the part selector, but once I place the part the volume returns to normal.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]
	{
		@volume *= 1.5
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
	@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]
	{
		@amount *= 1.5
		@maxAmount *= 1.5 
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Oxidizer]]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
	@RESOURCE[Oxidizer]
	{
		@amount *= 1.5
		@maxAmount *= 1.5 
	}
}

The result is what you see below:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://imgur.com/gAeIssJ (compare the right-click volume to the part selector volume)

Yep, the "volume" number will only come into play with ModularFuelTanks, and I'm not sure how much that and InterstellarFuelSwitch (IFS) cooperate with each other (that part would be a question or them).

But outside of that, the IFS configs take precedence over the part's own settings, if you have IFS installed. You'll also need to modify MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]. The amounts are stored in the variable "resourceAmounts", but it's a list that's comma & semicolon separated, for each of the configurations. So I don't think this will work with a simple math function.

For example, for the same fuel tank, here's the MM config used for IFS:

@PART[TPtank2mL05625]:FOR[FuelTanksPlus]:NEEDS[!InterstellarFuelSwitch|InterstellarFuelSwitch&!CryoEngines]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name:NEEDS[!InterstellarFuelSwitch|CryoEngines] = FSfuelSwitch
		name:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch&!CryoEngines] = InterstellarFuelSwitch
		resourceGui:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch] = LiquidFuel+Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer
		resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer
		resourceAmounts = 2160,2640;4320;5280
		basePartMass = 3
	}
}

9 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Yep, the "volume" number will only come into play with ModularFuelTanks, and I'm not sure how much that and InterstellarFuelSwitch (IFS) cooperate with each other (that part would be a question or them).

But outside of that, the IFS configs take precedence over the part's own settings, if you have IFS installed. You'll also need to modify MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]. The amounts are stored in the variable "resourceAmounts", but it's a list that's comma & semicolon separated, for each of the configurations. So I don't think this will work with a simple math function.

For example, for the same fuel tank, here's the MM config used for IFS:

@PART[TPtank2mL05625]:FOR[FuelTanksPlus]:NEEDS[!InterstellarFuelSwitch|InterstellarFuelSwitch&!CryoEngines]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name:NEEDS[!InterstellarFuelSwitch|CryoEngines] = FSfuelSwitch
		name:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch&!CryoEngines] = InterstellarFuelSwitch
		resourceGui:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch] = LiquidFuel+Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer
		resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer
		resourceAmounts = 2160,2640;4320;5280
		basePartMass = 3
	}
}

Okay. Thanks for the quick response. I've used variables in module manager before to change ISP curve, so I think I'll be able to parse it out if given enough time. I used ckan, and I think it was this mod that suggested modular fuels...I could be wrong. That why I incorrectly assumed they were linked.

14 hours ago, FlexGunship said:

Okay. Thanks for the quick response. I've used variables in module manager before to change ISP curve, so I think I'll be able to parse it out if given enough time. I used ckan, and I think it was this mod that suggested modular fuels...I could be wrong. That why I incorrectly assumed they were linked.

Glad to help! :) I'm curious to see what you come up with, if you get it working.

On 12/10/2015, 8:54:14, NecroBones said:

Glad to help! :) I'm curious to see what you come up with, if you get it working.

For what it's worth, I've given up for now. I tried creating a few of my own dummy parts just to test the parsing of fields that  are separated both by commas and semi-colons and I don't see a way to do it. I wrote a python script to just go through *.cfg files and make the changes I want (for now).

16 hours ago, FlexGunship said:

For what it's worth, I've given up for now. I tried creating a few of my own dummy parts just to test the parsing of fields that  are separated both by commas and semi-colons and I don't see a way to do it. I wrote a python script to just go through *.cfg files and make the changes I want (for now).

I spent a bit of time yesterday trying to sort out a problem I was having, which came down to two different InterstellarFuelSwitch modules in the final part.cfg, one from this Mod's module manager file, one from a totally unrelated Mod. They work with different methods. Anyway, Module Manager has a few intriguing features.

1: There's a way of using Regexp

2: You can do arithmetic on numeric values

3: Nodes with the same name can be distinguished by index values

I found this at https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Module-Manager-Syntax but at this point I suffered a cranial Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly...

Anyway, I know people do weird and wonderful stuff with Regexp

The problem I hit came when I tried to fill a Rockomax Jumbo with monopropellant (radial Super-Dibamus modules can give you positive TWR on Kerbin, but I was thinking of some sort of service module). The KSPI Integration Patch modifies the stock .cfg and then the FuelSwitch patch in this mod adds a second complete IFS module.

The code for this Mod uses a list of part-specific entries and writes a complete IFS module entry with the fields you're stuck on written out in full.

The KSPI patch has at least one file which does arithmetic on that line.

I have a feeling that the long patchfile for installing IFS could be replaced by something short and obfuscated. It looks as though the HAS module manager option might be worth using, at least.

HAS[!InterstellarFuelSwitch] might fix the problem I had.

And after all that fussing, all I needed to do was remove the file that installed Interstellar Fuel Switch for Fuel Tanks Plus. The KSPI mod works fine and gives that wider range of options.

It is hard getting enough thrust out of a Super-Dibamus at sea level, but the explosion was pretty. The monopropellant tank option is good for supplying probes and space stations.

Huh, some good points here. I'm all for simplifying the config, but yes, adding a check to make sure it doesn't already have IFS modules added would be useful, but that will only work correctly if other mods add the module before mine gets processed. I'll play around with it.

I spent some time since my last message reworking the fuel switching config, to consolidate similar tanks and use math for the capacities, and also added more flags/checks so that the fuel switching doesn't enable itself if other mods are taking care of it, etc. The next update should be a little more robust.

On 12/4/2015, 6:55:14, NecroBones said:

OK, decouplers are available to try out:

1.4 (2015-12-04) - Update.
 - Added stack decouplers with built-in separation motors, and color-changing capability.

These stack decouplers with the built-in separation motors are just wonderful.  They've replaced the stock decouplers in all of my booster designs for boosters / 1st / 2nd stage.  

The 1.25m provides plenty of distance between stages in the 2 seconds before my next stage fires.  The 2.5m variant is possibly a bit weak (even at 100%) as I've had a few explosions because the previous stage does not get clear fast enough.  For those designs, adding four separatrons is usually enough to get proper distance within 2 seconds.

One thing I would like would be a surface-mount separatron with only 4-6 units of solid fuel and 8-15 kN thrust and around 0.03t mass.  Maybe a scaled down version of the SpaceY V1 Vernier Thruster for the model.  I could mount these on the inside surface of strap-on boosters to get cleaner separation.

Right now I use the Gemini Mini SRB (FASA pack), but they stick out a bit and are not as flat as I would like.  So they work fine with the TT-70 radial decoupler, but not the flatter decoupler variants.

Posted:

1.5 (2015-12-17) - Tweaks.
 - Rewrote the fuel-switching config.
    - Should play more nicely with other mods that affect fuel switching.
    - Consolidated patches to reduce complexity.
    - Capacities standardized based on mass, so some values will have changed slightly.
 - Added "FuelTanksPlus_ATM.cfg" with settings to attempt to disable or dissuade ActiveTextureManagement for this mod.
    - Can optionally be deleted to return to ATM defaults.
    - ATM known to occasionally have caching issues with remapped/shared textures in my mods.
    - FuelTanksPlus is already very memory efficient and uses DDS, so ATM doesn't help much for this case.
    - May need to delete ATM's cache if using ATM and some textures still aren't appearing.
 - Replaced some placeholder images with smaller versions that will be more obvious when reassignment fails.
 - Corrected a typo with Agency mentality.

It is possible to orbit a small satellite using huge fuel tanks full of monopropellant. So I would say that the revised fuel-switch code is working.

The low ISP of monopropellant, and the relatively low thrust of a Super-Dibamus made the lift-off somewhat lethargic.

The explosions were still pretty.

At first glance I can remove the LF, OX, Xenon, Monoprop, etc properties from the configs that are creating these errors in the configs. Right? I assume it was just for notes (comments) or erroneous that they were left in but I suppose they could be used in a way I didn't see.

PartLoader Warning: Variable LF not found in Part
PartLoader Warning: Variable OX not found in Part
PartLoader Warning: Variable Xenon not found in Part
PartLoader Warning: Variable Monoprop not found in Part

Edit: Ran out of time to keep looking into this but I think my speculation above is wrong. Just haven't figured out what/how those variables/properties are used and if the errors in the log are because of them or due to a lack of them.

Edited by Black-Talon

21 hours ago, Black-Talon said:

At first glance I can remove the LF, OX, Xenon, Monoprop, etc properties from the configs that are creating these errors in the configs. Right? I assume it was just for notes (comments) or erroneous that they were left in but I suppose they could be used in a way I didn't see.

PartLoader Warning: Variable LF not found in Part
PartLoader Warning: Variable OX not found in Part
PartLoader Warning: Variable Xenon not found in Part
PartLoader Warning: Variable Monoprop not found in Part

Edit: Ran out of time to keep looking into this but I think my speculation above is wrong. Just haven't figured out what/how those variables/properties are used and if the errors in the log are because of them or due to a lack of them.

I thought I had cleaned those up, but I guess some slipped through. You can ignore them. They're just variables that are being used in the ModuleManager patches to calculate fuel capacities for the tanks for the fuel-switching.

On 12/4/2015 at 9:45 AM, NecroBones said:

Alright, updated pics:

(I may do some more prettying on the 1.25m one, we'll see)

KSP%202015-12-03%2019-58-12-54.jpg

KSP%202015-12-03%2019-58-34-31.jpg

KSP%202015-12-03%2019-58-47-86.jpg

These are still my favorite, but I feel the 2.5m and 3.75m variants could use more thrust/fuel.  I often end up supplementing the 2.5m version with a ring of 24x separatrons to get the reverse thrust that I want for stage recovery.

56 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

These are still my favorite, but I feel the 2.5m and 3.75m variants could use more thrust/fuel.  I often end up supplementing the 2.5m version with a ring of 24x separatrons to get the reverse thrust that I want for stage recovery.

Yep, I'm increasing them for the next release.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Alpha188 said:

The mod is amazing but I think I have founded a small bug: when using the FL-T1200-FTP Fuel Tank with the Redstone texture, it doesn't work very well. Other textures are fine.

Did you set the texture resolution to a lower setting in the game settings, or are you running ActiveTextureManagement? Those come to mind as possible causes. The difference with this tank is that rather than physically separating out the color areas like some of the other tanks, this relies on them being more "painted on" like stock textures. I could probably adjust it, but at the time it seemed more of a stock-alike way to do it, to just rely on the texture resolution for its sharpness (or lack thereof).

Is there a way to set tank shouds off by default? Not the model hack included in configs, but flipping the switch.

In my experience shouds are needed very rarely, in most cases they are just a bunch of polygons in the scene that you never see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.