[1.4.1] Fuel Tanks Plus 2.0.2 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

Necro, I've had a squiz around and am unsure on whether there is a remedy for that multi-layer texture glitch that I seem to be getting from Fuel Tanks Plus.

I've gone through the files to see if there was a conflict between assigned textures, or a shader issue (I use vanilla effects), I even re-downloaded it in the off-chance there was an incomplete file, but I just can't seem to fix the issue.

I've used this mod for yonks, and would love to continue doing so as it's immeasurably helpful!

3 hours ago, bradyns said:

Necro, I've had a squiz around and am unsure on whether there is a remedy for that multi-layer texture glitch that I seem to be getting from Fuel Tanks Plus.

I've gone through the files to see if there was a conflict between assigned textures, or a shader issue (I use vanilla effects), I even re-downloaded it in the off-chance there was an incomplete file, but I just can't seem to fix the issue.

I've used this mod for yonks, and would love to continue doing so as it's immeasurably helpful!

Check out the troubleshooting section on the SpaceY thread. Most of it applies here too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2015 at 1:49 PM, ObsessedWithKSP said:

Talking of switching textures, I'd like to ask the opposite - how can I add my own textures?

On 11/2/2015 at 4:25 AM, NecroBones said:

Unfortunately that's a bit difficult with how FTP works. Each diameter only has one texture, shared across the tanks, which contains all of the current colors. It's using mesh-switching to switch between the colors, which allows for that single-texture system to work, plus allows for details to switch, such as pipes and tank rims and the like.

To do it (without adding it from my end) would require making additional models (mu files) to add to the mesh switching config.

I've decided that I'm gonna give it a shot. This is my first time trying to mod anything however, so I was wondering if you had any recommendations on programs, tutorials and other suggestions that could be helpful. I really want some green and purple tanks, and this is as good an excuse as any to dive into the modding community.

4 hours ago, lukavago said:

I've decided that I'm gonna give it a shot. This is my first time trying to mod anything however, so I was wondering if you had any recommendations on programs, tutorials and other suggestions that could be helpful. I really want some green and purple tanks, and this is as good an excuse as any to dive into the modding community.

The forum section called "Modelling and Texturing" has a bunch of tutorials available to get started. I'd recommend making a simple fuel tank first. If you can make one and get it into the game, then you're most of the way there. :)

I enjoyed those tanks so much! They are sooo cool! I can's imagine my game without those anymore. Thank you for this great tank pack! 

P.S. I wish this can have a cfg for Community Tech Tree, for some progression in career mode. I dont remember how does this work in stock tree, but in CTT allmost of the tank are unlocked in a single node. Didn't try your Lithobreak Exploration Pack with CTT yet, but i hope to see something interesting! 

Edited by Ghostt

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I'm having an issue with the mod.
I have a space plane and I replaced all the small tanks for single large ones that make the exact same lengths (using tweakscale of course.)
Now while the new tanks have less fuel and over all it reduced weight and part count, and after tests it did not affect the max thrust of the engines at full throttle or airflow intake while at a stand still, there was a massive reduction in acceleration and top speed, I mean a huge reduction.

I tested this with to planes, exactly the same, one using smaller default fuel tanks end to end to make the proper length and the other using Fuel Tanks Plus. All tests show the engines performance are the same but something is holding the FTP plane back from accelerating past 120ms and thus I can't get it to stay in the air.

Any Ideas as to the issue?
Before you ask, yes that is the only difference between the planes.

EDIT: I did the math and it's between a 36-37% lose of acceleration by the time it hits the end of the KSC island runway.
Stock plane hit 202 at the end of the runway, FTP mod plane was 129.
Stock Plane weight is 19.1t, The FTP mod plane weight was 19.1t

Stock Plane engine output was 119.9 at full throttle breaks locked on the runway.

The FTP plane engine output was 119.9 at full throttle breaks locked on the runway.

The only thing I can think of is that when I Tweakscale the parts there weight and fuel change but somehow there aerodynamic profile does not, thus increasing drag.
That is my only guess.

Edited by Lostami

19 hours ago, Lostami said:

The only thing I can think of is that when I Tweakscale the parts there weight and fuel change but somehow there aerodynamic profile does not, thus increasing drag.

That is my only guess.

That's my guess as well. Are you scaling parts up, or down? It might be something to report to the TweakScale thread. They may not be altering the drag cubes. I suspect FAR has less of a problem than the stock aerodynamics, since it does some sort of volumetric calculations based on the size and shape of the craft as constructed.

5 hours ago, Alpha188 said:

Suggestion time:

I think it behaves like an engine and not a tank, but is texture-switching for the Twin-Boar doable? Please! :sticktongue:

I hadn't thought about it, but I suppose it's possible. It's a little more complicated than a tank, but probably doable. I'll have to think on that one.

2 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

When I use RealFuels with this, the tanks do not hold any fuel. They only hold LF/O and can't hold any real fuels. Maybe a MM patch to remove the IFS stuff if RealFuels in installed?

Actually the IFS stuff shouldn't be enabled with RealFuels installed as it is. Unless RealFuels needs to be called something other than "RealFuels" in the configs for some reason.

But you know, maybe the "ModuleFuelTanks" modules aren't being applied right in this case? Those only apply currently if "ModularFuelTanks" is installed. They should probably apply if RealFuels is installed without MFT. It's making me wonder if the tanks are showing up as zero capacity?

8 hours ago, NecroBones said:

I hadn't thought about it, but I suppose it's possible. It's a little more complicated than a tank, but probably doable. I'll have to think on that one.

Actually the IFS stuff shouldn't be enabled with RealFuels installed as it is. Unless RealFuels needs to be called something other than "RealFuels" in the configs for some reason.

But you know, maybe the "ModuleFuelTanks" modules aren't being applied right in this case? Those only apply currently if "ModularFuelTanks" is installed. They should probably apply if RealFuels is installed without MFT. It's making me wonder if the tanks are showing up as zero capacity?

Well the IFS stuff is still there, maybe I should re-install.

1 minute ago, legoclone09 said:

Well the IFS stuff is still there, maybe I should re-install.

Also try deleting "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" (in GameData). That cache file is the bane of my existence. It gets auto-regenerated. It's just that MM doesn't always notice the change in mods for a while.

Edited by NecroBones

Also try deleting "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" (in GameData). That cache file is the bane of my existence. It gets auto-regenerated. It's just that MM doesn't always notice the change in mods for a while.

Ah, yes. I will do that once I get back onto linux.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Can I just not install the directories marked 'deprecated' since I'm installing for the first time?

Yep, that should be perfectly safe.

My plan is to move those out to a separate optional compatibility pack. I wanted to give it some time so people wouldn't be blindsided by it. But now it's been a really long time, so I may go ahead and do that soon anyway.

I had a few changes I was sitting on anyway, but I figured it was finally time to get the deprecated parts out of the pack. If you have any vessels using the pre-1.0 version of FTP's tanks, you'll want to also grab the deprecated pack here. For compatibility, the old parts were included (but disabled in the VAB menus) for almost 8 months.

1.7 (2016-03-11) Minor fixes, removal of deprecated parts.
 - Corrected capitalization of "ModularFuelTanks" in the fuel-switching rules.
 - Added MonoPropellant as a choice for LFO tanks in the fuel-switching rules.
 - Slightly increased the Oscar-A/C/D dry masses to match mass ratios of larger tanks.
 - Removed the deprecated parts (deprecated as of FTP 1.0) from this pack.
    - Still available via optional compatibility pack "Fuel Tanks Plus Deprecated".
    - These parts were disabled in FTP more than 6 months ago. Deprecation pack only needed for vessels built before then.
    - Available in these locations:
       - http://spacedock.info/mod/387/Fuel%20Tanks%20Plus%20Deprecated
       - http://ksp.necrobones.com/files/FuelTanksPlus/
       - CKAN
 - Moved ModuleManager patches to a "Patches" folder.

- Added MonoPropellant as a choice for LFO tanks in the fuel-switching rules.

Nice. Just so you know when Nertea released Cryo Engines with its own fuel-switching patch there were issues with some LFO tanks with extra monopropellant in NF Spacecraft. Knowing how Firespitter/ISFS work I doubt there will be any compatibility issues here but if I find something I'll make sure to tell you.

17 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

Nice. Just so you know when Nertea released Cryo Engines with its own fuel-switching patch there were issues with some LFO tanks with extra monopropellant in NF Spacecraft. Knowing how Firespitter/ISFS work I doubt there will be any compatibility issues here but if I find something I'll make sure to tell you.

Huh, OK cool. Yeah, I set up my configs to not apply if CryoEngines is installed, so we should be covered, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

@NecroBones, I've a suggestion for you. Add a few .craft files to this mod, in which you take the stock game's rockets and rebuilt them but using your mod to shrink the parts-count. Kerbal-X? Fuel-tanks for the asparagus boosters and core booster can be shrunk from 21 tanks to just 7, and with the FuelTanksPlus 1.25m nose-tanks each asparagus-booster can gain a little extra fuel-capacity. Use the FTP 2.5m decoupler with built-in retro-rockets to de-orbit the booster once it separates from the Poodle-engine! Not sure whether it'd be worth using the retro-rocket equipped 2.5m decoupler to separate the Poodle stage from the command-capsule, but then again, since I have TAC Life Support installed, I don't land on the Mün anyway, since there's no way to bring enough food, water, and oxygen onboard to keep the 3 Kerbonauts alive long enough for a rescue-mission to reach them.

@NecroBones

So I'm futzing around with your decoupler configs, and I noticed a couple of inconsistencies with the 3.75m one. This might be intentional, if so feel free to ignore this post, but I figured I'd mention it anyway:

• Costs: 2.5m costs 1250 & 3500 whereas the 3.5m costs 900 & 3600 (cost & entry cost)
  • Ejection Force: 2.5m has a force of 150; 3.75m has a force of only 80. Granted its retro engines are nearly triple the strength, but all the other decouplers fall along a nice clean progression with every major stat, except this bad boy.
  • the 3.75m technode, Large Volume Containment, seems an odd choice (the other ones follow either structural/construction or rocketry nodes) , but I think this one is more personal preference, so, meh.

Cheers.

(this is with the latest edition, which I believe is 1.7.0)

--edit--

I should mention I haven't actually tried this decoupler out in game, although I'm sure it works just fine as is.

Edited by Deimos Rast
edit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.