[1.4.1] Fuel Tanks Plus 2.0.2 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

On 12/7/2018 at 3:27 AM, Ruedii said:

For future versions could we get the new stock textures mapped to the texture switching options on this and color coded canisters? 

@NecroBones has not logged in since June. And with the big changes to the stock tanks texture handling, this mod may be in need of a refactor, which means someone with a lot of time will need to basically fork it and take it over to rewrite those parts of it.

I can confirm that most of this addon is working in 1.5.1, the exception is the radial tanks. Whenever I click on one of those in the VAB/SPH my game CTD even before I let up on the mouse button. Probably something to do with the texture switching if I had to guess, and I'd be willing to bet that fixing it will only take some tweaking of the config files to point to the right textures or something like that.

Texture switching isn't something I've tried messing with in configs yet, I'd have to study how it works for a while before trying to fix these parts. If nobody else does, I'll probably come up with a MM patch to fix it or something, and once I get that working I'll post it in this thread or the thread of whoever takes over maintaining this mod untill Necrobones gets back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 1:01 PM, Murdabenne said:

@NecroBones has not logged in since June. And with the big changes to the stock tanks texture handling, this mod may be in need of a refactor, which means someone with a lot of time will need to basically fork it and take it over to rewrite those parts of it.

According to his redit posts he's been doing a lot in Elite Dangerous lately.  Anyhow, I might try to fork it from the github page sometime.   I'll be getting a new hard drive soon so I'll finally have working space to do actually productive things on my computer.  That battle with the free space has been what has been keeping me from really getting into modding.  (Modding tools take up a lot of space.)

Edited by Ruedii

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2018 at 1:49 PM, Murdabenne said:

And now Squad has dropped DeltaV 1.6 on us, so that may change a few things in the VAB. 

Yeah, Intersteller FuelSwitch will probably break on this update.  It messes with fuel tank quantities.

Currently the new texture switch is retro-ported onto the mod by Interstellar FuelSwitch (A lot of legacy mods are using this function of Intersteller fuelswitch.  It was nice of them to put in.)

However, many visual materials (texture shader combinations) may stop working properly with these some of these new shader functions and the accompanying render pipeline changes. 

Edited by Ruedii

• 2 months later...

@linuxgurugamer I know you're busy, so feel free to simply say "I dont have time to look", and that's fine.  But the question I have is: How hard would it be to port this forward for a novice?  And by novice, I mean me:  I used to be a pretty decent C/Perl/Python/shell coder in Unix/Linux (back in the days of make files, etc) before I went into cardiology).  I dont know the tool chain but can self teach with the right web tutorial.  I would only want to make sure the big tanks work right with the 1.6.1+, and that the texture changers and other built-ins work, and it will use the fuel switch mods it has in the past (It allows for multiple ones so Im assuming thats an MM script), etc.

10 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

@linuxgurugamer I know you're busy, so feel free to simply say "I dont have time to look", and that's fine.  But the question I have is: How hard would it be to port this forward for a novice?  And by novice, I mean me:  I used to be a pretty decent C/Perl/Python/shell coder in Unix/Linux (back in the days of make files, etc) before I went into cardiology).  I dont know the tool chain but can self teach with the right web tutorial.  I would only want to make sure the big tanks work right with the 1.6.1+, and that the texture changers and other built-ins work, and it will use the fuel switch mods it has in the past (It allows for multiple ones so Im assuming thats an MM script), etc.

Been a long time since l looked at this.  But, it doesn't have any code, so the only thing that might need touching are config file.  That being said, try it using the current version of IFS, if you see issues, then go look at the config file for that part which has problems. And don't be afraid to ask for help

@linuxgurugamer Main thing I'd want see on this mod is for the .cfg files that invoke ModuleManager to be adjusted to leave the new stock tanks untouched and only apply this mod's tweaks to the legacy fuel-tank models, allowing us to have the best of both worlds in a single unified package.

3 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

This just popped up (along with SpaceY and a ton of other NB mods) as compatible with 1.6.1, including my favorite ladder & legs mod, Lithobrake Exploration Technologies. 

Same here; I installed via CKAN. However, the game still crashes when selecting the Radial Tanks in VAB/SPH. Also crashes when trying to load a craft with the radial tanks as a part (either in VAB/SPH or in the map).

I'm using version 1.4.5.  Any help on the horizon?

• 4 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 5:13 AM, Dave7NY said:

Same here; I installed via CKAN. However, the game still crashes when selecting the Radial Tanks in VAB/SPH. Also crashes when trying to load a craft with the radial tanks as a part (either in VAB/SPH or in the map).

I'm using version 1.4.5.  Any help on the horizon?

Hello,

Did this get fixed or is it still a problem?

8 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I've not seen any updates to the mod in a while.  However, only the radial tanks seem to be causing problems, so as long as you stay away from them (or delete them) you should be ok.

Hello,

OK, thank you.

• 6 months later...

Somehow marked as compatible with 1.9.1 per CKAN.  Radial tanks still causing a crash?  I really like the max length ruel tanks for building fuel stations for interplanetary missions.  I used to use Davon supply modules, but that's apparently long gone by the wayside.  Anyone know of a replacement?

10 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

Somehow marked as compatible with 1.9.1 per CKAN.  Radial tanks still causing a crash?  I really like the max length ruel tanks for building fuel stations for interplanetary missions.  I used to use Davon supply modules, but that's apparently long gone by the wayside.  Anyone know of a replacement?

With reference to Davon, I believe RMM and Davon Supply are with LGG for maintenance and marked for 1.8 (and as far as I can tell Davon Supply works on 1.9 but this is not an extensive test, have not tested RMM yet). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 1:26 AM, Murdabenne said:

Somehow marked as compatible with 1.9.1 per CKAN.  Radial tanks still causing a crash?

Update2: still causing a crash. They're the pressurized tanks in the shape of mystery goo containers. As soon as you click one, the game freezes and crashes shortly.

Edited by Krzeszny
update

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 12:19 PM, tonimark said:

the game crashes when i grab a radial tanks to attach details:

If you had read literally the last post, the one above yours, you would have known that it's a well-known problem.

I wish someone could update this mod and also fix the broken fuel amount-size-mass-cost ratios on 0.625 and cube tanks. Until that happens, I suggest removing them from your parts using the Janitor's Closet mod because they're really unbalanced.

By the way, the liquid fuel-only tanks from this mod are not stock-a-like and it's for a good reason.

I've just found out that the reason we can't switch LFO tanks tanks to 100% LF in the stock game is for internal realism reasons - nuclear engines don't run on RP-1, the equivalent to KSP's liquid fuel - nuclear engines use a different technology and run on cryogenic fuel, which takes about 10 times more IRL. Having it take 2 times the space in KSP seems OK and the liquid fuel tanks from this mod are OP in the sense that they're too small.

Edited by Krzeszny
OP liquid fuel tanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 6:50 AM, B-STRK said:

With reference to Davon, I believe RMM and Davon Supply are with LGG for maintenance and marked for 1.8 (and as far as I can tell Davon Supply works on 1.9 but this is not an extensive test, have not tested RMM yet). 

Davon Supply is fully compatible with 1.8 and 1.9

On 4/9/2020 at 6:00 AM, Krzeszny said:

Update2: still causing a crash. They're the pressurized tanks in the shape of mystery goo containers. As soon as you click one, the game freezes and crashes shortly.

Which part switcher(s) do you have installed?

On 5/22/2020 at 8:49 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Hi all,

I have a working patch for this to avoid the crash with radial tanks and IFS.  Anybody interested?

I also have it working with the B9 Part Switch mod for texture switching 

I'm interested. While this mod has balance issues, game-crashing issues are much worse.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.