[1.4.1] Fuel Tanks Plus 2.0.2 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

@NecroBones,

Just to show you what I had in mind with the FTP decouplers, here's what I'm currently working on:

Spoiler

7zufMJs.png

Yes, I know you have one in RSB, but what's the fun in that? :wink::P 

I'm doing manual part welding with CCC tank models, some stock models....and some other parts of yours, with some changes by me. :)

@NecroBones,

I hate to sound like a pest, but those gray stripes you have around the top and bottom of the FTP decouplers are causing a problem for me.  They're ugly and present a visual disconnect, so I hid the top stripe of the interstage I made by offsetting it up into the bottom of the stage, but then the decoupler doesn't separate cleanly--it sticks for a moment (how long depends on the separation force) then falls crookedly, i.e. standard clipping problem.  Just another of those things I never thought about, as I used to use the MRS decouplers much of the time.

Spoiler

FUYihv0.png

Not sure which would be easier to do, either making the textures run completely from top to bottom or removing the colliders from the stripe areas, but it would be a huge help if you could adjust them. :)

• 1 month later...

Necro (anyone),

Has anyone had issues with the RP-400 Radial Tank no longer showing Mono? Not sure of the design expectation, but my older ships that have a RP-400 tank have Mono and LFO. If I create a new ship and add a RP-400, it only has LFO. I'm assuming the RP-400 was changed along the lines?

Is there a way to add Mono back to the RP-400? I haven't looked yet but assuming I'll be able to cobble together a MM patch?

Just curious. Thanks!

Re: conical tanks

On 30/01/2017 at 5:33 PM, NecroBones said:

That's not a bad idea. The tricky thing with making them stackable, is ensuring the angles line up and that they actually look good that way. But it's a versatile design, if it has the standard stack nodes to work with.

You could base series of tanks on certain angles. Like 0.625-1.25m, 1.25-3.75m, 3.75-5m all with consistent angle, length would vary:

• straight 5 degree incline
  • straight 10 degree incline (shorter)
  • slanted 5 degree incline (pretty long)
  • slanted 10 degree incline (could correspond in length with straight 5 degree tanks)
  • slanted 20 degree incline (could correspond in length with straight 10 degree tanks)

On 5/15/2017 at 2:13 AM, jmbailey2000 said:

Necro (anyone),

Has anyone had issues with the RP-400 Radial Tank no longer showing Mono? Not sure of the design expectation, but my older ships that have a RP-400 tank have Mono and LFO. If I create a new ship and add a RP-400, it only has LFO. I'm assuming the RP-400 was changed along the lines?

Is there a way to add Mono back to the RP-400? I haven't looked yet but assuming I'll be able to cobble together a MM patch?

Just curious. Thanks!

Yeah, a MM patch like that is really easy.  You just need to find the original part name, then create a node with a new name.

https://github.com/WuphonsReach/KSP-ScrapyardBob/blob/master/ModRocketSys/NBprobeCone1m.cfg

The "+PART[NBprobeCone1m]" says "create a new node based on this node".  I then give it a new node name of "SYB_MRS_NBprobeCone1m".  Then I add to the existing EC capacity.

https://github.com/WuphonsReach/KSP-ScrapyardBob/blob/master/Squad/CommandModules/Mark1-2Pod.cfg

That example creates two new command pods with additional USI-LS, mono-prop, battery capacity, built-in antennas, etc.

On 5/22/2017 at 10:39 AM, WuphonsReach said:

Yeah, a MM patch like that is really easy.  You just need to find the original part name, then create a node with a new name.

https://github.com/WuphonsReach/KSP-ScrapyardBob/blob/master/ModRocketSys/NBprobeCone1m.cfg

The "+PART[NBprobeCone1m]" says "create a new node based on this node".  I then give it a new node name of "SYB_MRS_NBprobeCone1m".  Then I add to the existing EC capacity.

https://github.com/WuphonsReach/KSP-ScrapyardBob/blob/master/Squad/CommandModules/Mark1-2Pod.cfg

That example creates two new command pods with additional USI-LS, mono-prop, battery capacity, built-in antennas, etc.

Awesome!!! Thanks!!! Looks like I have something to do this weekend!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2017 at 9:08 PM, emirkustirika said:

pls up to 1.3

As far as I know, nothing changed in 1.3 that would break my mods, since they're just part mods.  Of course, this comes with the caveats that you have 1.3 compatible versions of the mods it interacts with, such as Module Manager, InterstellarFuelSwitch, etc.

I'm going to go through and update the version numbers, and we'll see what breaks. That always works, right? :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked (I can't see any evidence of that, but who knows). Does anyone know why this is happening to tanks from this mod? See the ends of the tanks are visible past the ends of the tanks? Sometimes they are off to the sides? It has happened since 1.3 came out. I thought 1.3.1 might fix it, but no.

Cheers.

screenshot5.jpg

1 hour ago, Phil deCube said:

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked (I can't see any evidence of that, but who knows). Does anyone know why this is happening to tanks from this mod? See the ends of the tanks are visible past the ends of the tanks? Sometimes they are off to the sides? It has happened since 1.3 came out. I thought 1.3.1 might fix it, but no.

Cheers.

screenshot5.jpg

It's just one of those things that happens from time to time.  Generally, if you do a quicksave (F5) followed by a quickload (F9) then the procedural tank ends will go back to where they're supposed to be.

12 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

It's just one of those things that happens from time to time.  Generally, if you do a quicksave (F5) followed by a quickload (F9) then the procedural tank ends will go back to where they're supposed to be.

Thanks for responding, Norcalplanner. It has been happening consistently for months, with heaps of F5s and F9s. But... if it's just one of those things... I can (and have been) live with that.

Cheers.

16 hours ago, Phil deCube said:

Hi,

It's a known bug since the 1.2 days with shrouds, the bug is in Squad's code.

I turn of shrouds in the VAB/SPH where possible.  It also affects stock engine shrouds.  It's just more noticeable on the FTP shrouds because they end up really far out of place (I think due to the size).

On 11/18/2017 at 9:50 AM, WuphonsReach said:

It's a known bug since the 1.2 days with shrouds, the bug is in Squad's code.

I turn of shrouds in the VAB/SPH where possible.  It also affects stock engine shrouds.  It's just more noticeable on the FTP shrouds because they end up really far out of place (I think due to the size).

Thanks WuphonsReach. I'll give that a try.

• 1 month later...

Still struggling with getting Configurable Containers to play nice with this and other part mods that use B9Partswitch (IFS too) because they also use it to manage mesh/texture switching in addition to fuel switching.  Is there any way to separate the functionality into separate modules with different names?  That way I can simply zapo the modules that are using it for fuel switching, and instead install CC, while leaving the mesh/texture switching alone.   I guess the problem is that the others aren't modular enough in their function. Too bad there isn't a common module for managing fuel that all of them could use interchangeably, and not entangle it with mesh.  IMHO its a questionable design decision to entangle 2 different functions and not abstract them to a common interface, especially when there are multiple modules to do the meshes, and to do the fuels.

EDIT: Workaround is to go into FTP and comment out the configs (rename from foo.cfg to foo.cfg.OFF)  where it installs that stuff for fuel tanks, but leave the texturing alone.  Seems to work OK for this and for KWRockety.  Only problem is, now I can't rely on CKAN to keep everything updated automatically, I'll have to manually manage some of the mods.

Edited by Murdabenne
EDIT: work around

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, with 1.4 providing support for mesh switching, I figured it would be best to go with the flow, and use the existing color profiles (where they made sense), so this is a sort of overhaul of FTP. It was relatively straightforward, as compared to SpaceY and CCC, so those will still take some time (though they should still work if the switcher mods have been updated). I'm sure something in here is probably broken anyway though. :)

EDIT: I had to disable the flag decals for now. They don't play nicely with the stock mesh switcher.

2.0 (2018-03-12) - Overhaul for 1.4
 - Altered color/mesh switching to use new 1.4 stock switcher (except the radial tanks).
 - Note: Saved colors in existing vessels may need to be manually updated or relaunched to correct.
 - Removed most end-cap shrouds.

On 3/2/2018 at 8:56 AM, flart said:

@NecroBones I made localization support using LocalizationTool and partially translated to Russian. Do you have github repo for PR?

I don't have a github, no. I just have a local workflow.

Edited by NecroBones

5 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Alrighty, with 1.4 providing support for mesh switching, I figured it would be best to go with the flow, and use the existing color profiles (where they made sense), so this is a sort of overhaul of FTP. It was relatively straightforward, as compared to SpaceY and CCC, so those will still take some time (though they should still work if the switcher mods have been updated). I'm sure something in here is probably broken anyway though. :)

EDIT: I had to disable the flag decals for now. They don't play nicely with the stock mesh switcher.

2.0 (2018-03-12) - Overhaul for 1.4
 - Altered color/mesh switching to use new 1.4 stock switcher (except the radial tanks).
 - Note: Saved colors in existing vessels may need to be manually updated or relaunched to correct.

I don't have a github, no. I just have a local workflow.

Saw one small thing - take a look at the FL-R13 RCS tank, it holds a LOT more RCS fuel than its volume would suggest (also compared to stock FL-T100 fuel tank as a rough comparison). The tank mass is also much greater (per unit volume) than stock's FL-R25.

EDIT: Similar with FL-R05.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

5 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Another small note - This could maybe be an interaction with something else, but I'm noticing a specific behavior on specific FTP tanks, namely the Oscar 0.625m series (I think all of them). I have IFS installed, and perhaps that's an issue, but it's not affecting other tanks (like the Rockomax FTP-16 nose cone). In the parts list, when mousing over, I notice that the Oscar tanks have two entries for mesh/texture variants, while the others do not. To replicate:

1. Change the texture of one of the Oscar tanks in the part list.
2. Select it, then place it - texture won't be what you had changed it to (whereas FTP-16 will do it right).
3. Change the texture of a placed Oscar tank to Antares Red (or whatever) - then alt-click to duplicate it. Won't retain texture.

My guess is there's been a doubling up on switcher stuff somewhere, dunno!

OK, I'll take a look at those. The monoprop tanks haven't been rebalanced in a while, so they're probably out of whack. Not sure on the oscar tanks, but I'll look.

On 3/2/2018 at 8:56 AM, flart said:

@NecroBones I made localization support using LocalizationTool and partially translated to Russian. Do you have github repo for PR?

I just thought-- While I don't have a github, some MM patches could always change things up after the fact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.