Shuttles

Commander Jebidiah

Can you make a NASA style shuttle?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Can you make a NASA style shuttle?

I made one, life size- it's 2400 tonnes on launch, and is about 1500 parts. It's 100% stock (other than the kerbpaint used to make it look better but that doesn't affect the .craft).

Link to full post, which includes download and gallery: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/102239-Life-Size-Space-Shuttle-90-compatible%21

spVwS7i.jpg

I made this the other day. Probably the closest you'll find to a NASA Shuttle without being the CSS. 3 high gimbal SSMEs at the back with monoprop OMS nestled in between, 2 SRBs either side. Takes off like a dream, but I don't know the payload capacity. Could probably easily take an orange side to orbit though.

Zg6LDBI.jpg

I made this the other day. Probably the closest you'll find to a NASA Shuttle without being the CSS. 3 high gimbal SSMEs at the back with monoprop OMS nestled in between, 2 SRBs either side. Takes off like a dream, but I don't know the payload capacity. Could probably easily take an orange side to orbit though.

http://i.imgur.com/Zg6LDBI.jpg

why is there a third OMS in the center?

why is there a third OMS in the center?

The other two don't gimbal enough to fire through the CoM so I needed one in the middle to A, help that and B, use the unused node because FAR doesn't like those. I am aware that the real life Orbiter didn't have one though, and I don't like those engine models but hey ho.

Havent tried it. I could probably pull it off if I really wanted to but cant think of a single logical use for such a craft that wouldn't be better served with a much more practical rocket design. Going for replica designs has never really been my thing and the shuttle wasnt really all that practical in real life and KSP lacks several tools to do it even as well as IRL. Its possible to kludge a workable design together within the additional design constraints but there's simply easier ways to do any conceivable mission you'd use a shuttle replica for. I just cant be bothered to make a replica I'd never find useful for anything. At least a more traditional rocket replica (saturn 5 or the like) could serve as a heavy launch platform.

• 1 month later...

Last week I've "finished" my version of an Orion-style shuttle system after watching 2001 for the first time on a big cinema screen.

I always tried to build something like this since I started playing KSP. It is far from perfect, but for the first time I am happy with the results. :)

2ZU9l9Y.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Hope you like it and forgive me the little necro of this thread. :wink:

I have done it once. However I had to use mechjeb for the flight profile and play with the engine throttle limiter on engine 1 on the way up because I couldn't do everything at once (3 main engines). Despite a problem clearing the launch clamps, but managed to recover the launch and made it to a 120k orbit. It flew like a plane fine both empty and loaded with a full jumbo. Using the main engines it was able to take off 3/4 of the way down the runway, but of course the fuel doesnt last long. Landing was a failure because the tiny gear are such a pain with the mk3.

I don't have that craft anymore and I have been unable to reproduce that shuttle and launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.