Do you feel KSP is ready for 1.0?

Do you think KSP is ready for 1.0?  

954 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think KSP is ready for 1.0?

• Yes
    • No

A long while back I said I didn't consider KSP ready for 1.0. Now that we are a couple of days away from launch I must say my opinion changed as I've seen the torrent of extra features that where added to the game.

I still am a bit sad to see no win64 support but the apparent optimizations and changes to the 32bit client seem to be enough to reduce the need for the 64bit version of the game. I still worry that they are adding too much new content without proper testing but to be honest 1.0 should be a massive update to make such a fuss.

Now there's nothing left but wish Squad best of luck on the launch day! :-)

I did see a few bugs in DasValdez's stream, but his build may have been earlier.

The fairings are really disappointing though. I wouldn't have a problem with confetti if they gave us the option of doing it properly, but instead we get strange constraints and very little customization. I love what they've done for 1.0, but this one thing is just inexplicable.

Why KSP isn't ready for 1.0

1. 1.0 means the game is polished enough to be reviewed and critiqued. KSP is still very good, but no where near to being polished.
  2. Confetti fairings look bad and show lack of full effort
  3. Still no stackable, segmented SRB's
  4. No 1.875 meter parts - 1.25 meter parts look silly on 3.75 meter parts
  5. SRB's still can't gimbal, which is both unrealistic and unbalanced gameplay wise
  6. Visuals not the best they could be - still no clouds, cities, other signs of a polished game
  7. Engine effects are still the same they have been - boring, blue flames. Check HotRockets for good examples
  8. New buildings in career mode aren't up to par with bac9's work
  9. Admin building doesn't fit well
  10. Looking at water creates lag
  11. Career mode is grindy

https://youtu.be/pX_QJuZoW70?list=PLxqkPVJ0Ejy6thxmjWAUGCP3Ubdfh1Wa6&t=956

This is ridiculous - no fairings in real life separate into confetti pieces for obvious reasons. What is not obvious is why Squad gave us these weirdly shaped fairings...

Just look at the poll. The results speak for themselves.

Edited by Woopert

There are several things i believe were too rushed - especially when a dev says 'look, you'll be able to modify the .cfg of X to do Y - that really annoys me - because that new behavior would no longer be stock (and you would not be able to release your .craft without also uploading the .cfg)

The game needs more polish on things like environmental visuals and reducing the glitchyness of complex craft, as well as improved mod support (memory limit, CKAN, etc.)

I am not opposed to paying for KSP2 somewhere down the line, as long as development continues (+ better linux support)

Being a newbie and an outsider to actual gameplay, I should say that integrating mod concepts into the final release is quite in the spirit of an open-dev community-driven game. However as far as polish goes, 'I suspect y'all are raight.' There should be extensive platform and play testing, not this LastMinuteRushToAddContentOhAndThankYouSoMuchCommunityYou'reAwesome. I trust that whatever they get wrong will be made right, but this just seems a little whacked to me.

I've only been around since .20 - I see massive changes and improvements to the game itself, but not so much improvement in Dev and communications processes. These also need to mature and can act as a foundation for further sustainable improvement.

I was not a supporter of the rush to release KSP 1.0 HOWEVER... I see the need to slap a 1.0 sticker on the box and start shipping it. Our Dev team needs to secure an independent and stable future income stream otherwise all hope is lost for any future.

So Although KSP was not ready for 1.0, we needed it anyway.

Yes, there will be bugs and missing features or poorly implemented bits, and yes there will likely be a few highly critical reviews, BUT there are a huge amount of new capability and features - and an equal chance for some rather glowing reviews also.

Our KSP and Dev team are forcing themselves to grow up - I think we need to give them a bit of space to achieve it. And they also need to be appreciative that we will continue to do what we signed up for and that is to provide realistic feedback.

Our KSP and Dev team are forcing themselves to grow up - I think we need to give them a bit of space to achieve it. And they also need to be appreciative that we will continue to do what we signed up for and that is to provide realistic feedback.

Squad needs more space? KSP 2.0 Confirmed!

Hmm...

I dont think they were quite ready yet to put this out as 1.0. It's not polished (at all), and I think there are at least 4 or 5 more major features they need to implement before they should of called it 1.0.

Despite all that, KSP is still my favorite game of all time, and I still love Squad. Just wish they had of put this out as 0.91, and taken an extra 2 weeks to polish up all the little bits they needed to.

After playing 1.0, I have to say that it really was not ready. They tried to add too much, and they weren't able to pull it off without numerous bugs. Balance and polish are also really lacking. I get the feeling that new features simply were not tested sufficiently.

After playing 1.0, I have to say that it really was not ready. They tried to add too much, and they weren't able to pull it off without numerous bugs. Balance and polish are also really lacking. I get the feeling that new features simply were not tested sufficiently.

So much this.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but:

Tons of engines have been nerfed so unnecessarily. The Rhino engine's maximum atmosphere thrust is weaker than a Mainsail.

Many bugs are still lurking that have been from 3 releases ago. What about the SPH radial-mirror symmetry bug?

And yes, it still lacks a lot of polish. What about the scanners that detect the whole planet? What about the counterintuitive way capsules face the atmosphere when reentering?!

This update would've been perfect otherwise. I loved the landing gear, and new parachutes, but it's a letdown for many other features.

Tons of designs are obsolete now that have been so valued among the community.

Despite all that, KSP is still my favorite game of all time, and I still love Squad. Just wish they had of put this out as 0.91, and taken an extra 2 weeks to polish up all the little bits they needed to.
Edited by Columbia

It's not that surprising that adding so many new features/fixes in one release causes new bug or flaws in blanace. Really, it's not.

No one would've been bothered if this was 0.98 or 0.99 ("final delivery"), maybe even with full price since it's near feature completion. But then again, releasing 1.0 with following changelog may have seemed boring to squad:

KSP 1.0:

- several bugfixes

For the first 20 minutes of play I was actually willing to say 'Ok, I was wrong, this game is done and ready'. That quickly changed when I started encountering bug after bug after incomplete game component. This game is not done. This game is not 1.0.

Edited by Frybert

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.