[WIP] Modular Satellite System (MSS)

rabidninjawombat

• 2 weeks later...
What's the news on this little gem? Looks very quality, can't wait to see those textures, and I hope you haven't given up on this project!

Haven't given up. :) But been really busy working on the Civilian Population Mod, so its taken a bit of a time on the back burner. :P Still plunk a few minutes into it here and there, though anything serious will have to wait till after 1.1

• 1 month later...

Ok! Finally had a chance to pay a little more attention here to this little side project. As stated above most of the parts are complete, just lacking textures.

Had a chance to get some basic textures going. Need detail work obviosly, but the basics are there.

This should over all be a very small mod when completed, ~5mb, utilizing alot of texture sharing (thanks Roverdude for your wonderful modding streams) Everything should easily fit on two 1024x1024 uv maps :)

Any feedback is welcome.

WIP images.

Side View (probably gonna solarpanel texture, and they panels need a small border)

CTgBTNM.png

Top View (fuel module. Tanks need a bit more texture/detail)

AwKj6NL.png

Fuel regulator doodad.

tsqnNrN.png

Edited by rabidninjawombat

Made some more texturing progress :) Resupply module next.

The resupply module will carry several different cargoes depended on what needed. Supplies(for USI), Food/Oxy/Water (for TAC) Small suppy of RocketParts , etc etc, etc,. Will be switchable via Firespitter Fuel Switch. Have textures made for all those. Open to suggestion for any other cargo types.

Oh and ignore the pink textures on top, its temporary, working emissives for them tomorrow.

GqZg3Kc.png

As you can see in the below picture the modules will all have the same format/size (except for the Command moduler top, Landing Legs and Engine module)

So you can stack as many or as few as you want for the mission profile. Thats the Resupply and fuel module stacked.

92Gjn4C.png

3rd modular component almost completed. A Battery Comm's Module.

Added some greebling to the outside of the modules (who doesn't love some gold foil) Also still creating a custom (real nice texture) for the solar.

This part will have a deploy-able long range comms module for if your mission profile needs long distances, As well as an integrated Resource scanner (supporting scansat if installed) Still finishing up the animation but you can see the untextured model a page back. (did redo the dish a bit though)

huitTnI.png

Also having to redo the engine Module from scratch unfortunately, the old model was good.. but i had WAAAAY to may tri's.

I'm shooting for at least a downloadable alpha version by the end of the week if their are any takers looking to test it.

Made a little more progress on the battery/comm unit, Antenna is in and operation. :) Ignore the untextured solar panel, testing out some new textures for them.

19b68g3.gif

In the process of cleaning all the existing parts up and finalizing them, ProbeCore unit and engine, next , once i have those completed, will upload a alpha for folks to play around with...

Any feedback welcome. :)

Feedback? Sure!

1) Solar panel texture could use some work. Shouldn't the cells be uniform? I'm not sure they should be alternating widths / height. Even if that's possible, I think it looks better with them being little rounded circles.

2) I think the intersections of the cross beams should have AO; you don't need to do actual AO it can be faked easily on the texture. That would help give them some depth.

Feedback? Sure!

1) Solar panel texture could use some work. Shouldn't the cells be uniform? I'm not sure they should be alternating widths / height. Even if that's possible, I think it looks better with them being little rounded circles.

2) I think the intersections of the cross beams should have AO; you don't need to do actual AO it can be faked easily on the texture. That would help give them some depth.

Thanks! yea, the solar panels are a work in progress :) More than likely gonna change

The bottom of modules would mostly be hidden, but ill put a bit more texture work into em. Slowly increasing skills ya know :)

Thanks! yea, the solar panels are a work in progress :) More than likely gonna change

The bottom of modules would mostly be hidden, but ill put a bit more texture work into em. Slowly increasing skills ya know :)

Oh I absolutely know. I consider texturing my weak point so I've been thinking about it a lot. I know it's a bit late in the project to ask this, but what then is the purpose of having the interior details fully modeled? If they are intended to be covered up?

Also, it seems like you currently have the propulsion module attached to one of the fuel segments? I ask because I'm partial to the engine + RCS system on LADEE and would love to use it on other probe designs.

Oh I absolutely know. I consider texturing my weak point so I've been thinking about it a lot. I know it's a bit late in the project to ask this, but what then is the purpose of having the interior details fully modeled? If they are intended to be covered up?

Also, it seems like you currently have the propulsion module attached to one of the fuel segments? I ask because I'm partial to the engine + RCS system on LADEE and would love to use it on other probe designs.

Yea the engine module seen on page 2 is in the proccess of being remodeled. (heh.. when i first did it 5-6 month ago i was a noob in blender) I think it had several hundred thousand tri's :P So needless to say its being redone.

I do like the engine system on the LADEE probe, and ill definitely see about incorporating it into the design :)

EDIT: missed the first question. Regarding modeling the interior details, Since the system is gonna be modular, Never know which system the person might use on the top or the bottom, hence why i wanted them to have interior details. And some parts like the com system have deploy-able parts.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.