Real Airplanes -- Piston engines with AJE (and more) [Update 3/27/15]

Genius Evil

Well, I thought about adding psia too. :) But then there's not a simple bool, it has to swap three ways.

Note that everything internal is in watts/pascals/meters/kilos/newtons, it's just converted for input/output.

(ata is because that's what's used on the German WWII charts, just as inHg and HP is used on US charts...)

Oh, crap, forgot: If you set both those bools false you also give displacement in liters, not cubic inches.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a known GitHub or the like for this mod, or would updating it involve reverse engineering? I'm getting into RO/RP-0 a lot, but want more prop engines to work with for my early research and carrier planes. Was thinking I might put my coding skills to use.

License allows continuation. I'd suggest PMing Genius Evil, but if you don't hear back, you can just upload the last download to github yourself and start from there. :)

That's what I was thinking, especially with the latest AJE patch supporting prop engines better. And yeah, the license is why I thought it might be a good idea. :)

• 2 months later...

I spoke to Genius Evil, and he happily handed off his materials and blessings to me, to get this lovely mod up to spec. So for the last long while, when I've had time to fiddle with it, I've been updating this excellent mod. There's a few bumps in the road that are causing me some grief - chief among them some Firespitter prop animation headaches, like the BMW IIIa's prop blades rotating around two different axes (resp. roll and pitch, which looks weird, let me tell you), or some engines' prop hubs being out of alignment with their blades when you turn them back off again. I've also been thinking about where to go next, once I've got things working to a state I'm happy with.

But chiefly, I've been trying to get the configs updated properly to first v1.0.4, then v1.0.5 once that came out. Just to let anyone interested know where things are. It's still looking like it'll be a while, I'm afraid. I may end up delaying re-release until after 1.1, depending on circumstances. But this mod is not dead. And I'll be putting up a new thread for it once I have something worth giving out to people. :-)

Edited by Autochton
Typo, old BBcode.

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, Azimech said:

Any progress? If you have any problems, I wouldn't mind taking a look at them.

Apart from a seemingly complete inability to start up Unity (which really ought to have helped now I have a new graphics card) I've not really had much time for working on it, sadly. Life's been a bit busy of late. But I hope that I can get things under some semblance of order and actually start making progress again soon. I've some ideas to try out.

One thing I may likely end up doing is to broaden the engine lineup some. It's very narrow, I feel, with only a couple British, German and Russian engines in among a horde of (mainly radial) US engines. I'd like to at least add a little broader spread there, get some more engines from other nations in there. As well, several of the engines in this mod are available from mods like SXT today, and I'm considering whether to keep those in, as there seems little reason, in my eyes, to have two or three different versions of the same exact engine.

In my crazier moments, I've been considering forking the engine and effects modules (from AJE and Firespitter) to fit them to my own needs and make them interoperate. I may do some PRs to AJE instead...

I'm hosting the mod here: https://github.com/gertsonderby/RealPlanes - the usual caveats about downloading dev code apply, and doubly here. Literally nothing may work, and if your house burns down it's not my fault.

39 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

I know at one point we were looking at forking the FS bits and putting them in AJE, so maybe ping @blowfish ?

Yeah, I saw him mention that at one point a while back. He has mentioned that he isn't all too interested in props, so perhaps we can figure something out between us. I'm growing a little dissatisfied with the FS plugins, certainly.

• 2 months later...

Yes, yes, I'm here, guys, no need to yell. :wink:

I sort of foundered a bit on getting things working in Unity 4. This prevented me from fixing a few issues in some of the models, and I sort of shelved it for a while until 1.1 appeared. Now, of course, I've just been unemployed for a couple months (just landed a new one the other day, it's all good), which affects me, weirdly, by making me get nothing done. So. Do I plan to continue the mod? Yes. But I need to get my feet back under me, now that I have some structure back in my life. Should hopefully come easier, though. Since the job I've found also contacts on C# (ASP.NET backend, I'll be working on the frontend) I might finally get somewhere wrt. the plugin situation I mentioned. So, while it will likely be a bit before a lot starts going on, something will. I sincerely want it to. :)

• 2 months later...

Due to the climate of the modding community, I've lost the desire to continue working on KSP mods. I don't know when the next everything-disabling blowout will be, and that's not circumstances I can work under, especially on something with the kinds of dependencies this has.

Anyone wishing to continue work on this mod may do so by forking the repository I linked to above, which I will leave up permanently.

This will be my last post on these forums, thank you for the times I've had.

On 5-7-2016 at 9:54 AM, Autochton said:

Due to the climate of the modding community, I've lost the desire to continue working on KSP mods. I don't know when the next everything-disabling blowout will be, and that's not circumstances I can work under, especially on something with the kinds of dependencies this has.

Anyone wishing to continue work on this mod may do so by forking the repository I linked to above, which I will leave up permanently.

This will be my last post on these forums, thank you for the times I've had.

Sad to see you go. I understand your feelings though, a few of my big mods are in limbo because of dependencies as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...