[1.0.x] CrewQueue - Crew Rotation and Vacations

enneract

Happens both on a modded and unmodded installs.

Repo steps are a bit more specific then I thought....

1. Accept 1st science and Launch new craft (not sure if this is needed)

2. Build basic craft with Jeb(I am saving the craft... not sure if needed)

3. Launch craft

4. Recover

--Jeb is on vacation now--

5. Accept remaining 2 contracts (orbit and escape atmosphere)

6. Load previous craft in VAB (I have removed the engine but don't think that's needed)

7. Launch flight but do not launch craft.

8. exit kerbal from pod and drop to ground (I have grabbed a EVA reprot but don't know if needed)

9. Recover flight from Kerbal

10. Recover craft from Launch Pad (clicking the icon)

11. goTo Astronaut facility

--Jeb is gone

Edited by SaSquatch

Happens both on a modded and unmodded installs.

Repo steps are a bit more specific then I thought....

1. Accept 1st science and Launch new craft (not sure if this is needed)

2. Build basic craft with Jeb(I am saving the craft... not sure if needed)

3. Launch craft

4. Recover

--Jeb is on vacation now--

5. Accept remaining 2 contracts (orbit and escape atmosphere)

6. Load previous craft in VAB (I have removed the engine but don't think that's needed)

7. Launch flight but do not launch craft.

8. exit kerbal from pod and drop to ground (I have grabbed a EVA reprot but don't know if needed)

9. Recover flight from Kerbal

10. Recover craft from Launch Pad (clicking the icon)

11. goTo Astronaut facility

--Jeb is gone

Again, can you please post output log from this process and a saved game?

Ok, so I narrowed it down....

If you launch a vessel from the CrewSelection menu in the VAB... kerbals on vacation dissapear.

To get them back... just trigger a crew selection screen (either the direct click on the launch pad or the vab selection screen)

* KCT Compatibility will work once KCT is updated.

What does that mean? Is there something magico needs to add? Does he know about it?

Er, sorry. Let me be more clear and keep you guys in the loop.

I'm the one maintaining the portion of KCT's code that makes it work with CrewQueue. I thought that I had it ready, and submitted the changes to get them in to this latest version of KCT, but there were some problems, and I haven't had the chance to address them.

CQ just exposes a data structure which defines which Kerbals are available, it doesnt modify the existing Roster. So to make KCT compatible, I need to insert code to make it actually work with this new roster structure. It isn't just plug-and-play, unfortunately.

I'm aiming for renewed compatibility in KCT 1.1.7, or in the Dev branch of KCT within the next couple of days.

Edited by enneract

Looking forward to the renewed compatibility with KCT, as I'd like to try the two mods together. Right now I'm playing with KCT only; to add CrewQ, will I need to restart?

Also, are CrewQ "vacations" long enough to account for the long delays in KCT? I often have 1-3 week delays between launches in KCT. Maybe KCT-employed Kerbals should have extra-aggressive trade unions who keep them on vacation for two months at a time? :)

Looking forward to the renewed compatibility with KCT, as I'd like to try the two mods together. Right now I'm playing with KCT only; to add CrewQ, will I need to restart?

Also, are CrewQ "vacations" long enough to account for the long delays in KCT? I often have 1-3 week delays between launches in KCT. Maybe KCT-employed Kerbals should have extra-aggressive trade unions who keep them on vacation for two months at a time? :)

No, you won't need to restart.

Vacation lengths are configurable; there are options for minimum time, maximum time, and percentage of mission time. Default is 7, 28, 10, so vacations are a minimum of 1 week long, a maximum of 4 weeks, and the base length is 10% of the mission they just returned from.

Can confirm that the hidden crew issue reported earlier still exists in Beta 4.

Can you give me any more information? I haven't been able to reproduce it since the first attempted fix.

Unfortunately, I did a panic job when it happened. So I can't be too precise

I had Bill, Bob, and Jeb on vacation for about 6 days, I think.

Was building a rocket, and took it for a test spin.

When I reverted to VAB, I made some changes, and decided to check the crew before launching again.

Suddenly, I find Jeb and Bill in the pod even though they were on vacation. I remove them from the pod, but decide to check the crew building.

And they weren't there anymore. And neither was Bob.

Checked the save file, and found that their State was changed to 9001.

Changed it back to Available, and I have all three of them available (with their vacation reset to six days) again for future missions.

Unfortunately, I did a panic job when it happened. So I can't be too precise

I had Bill, Bob, and Jeb on vacation for about 6 days, I think.

Was building a rocket, and took it for a test spin.

When I reverted to VAB, I made some changes, and decided to check the crew before launching again.

Suddenly, I find Jeb and Bill in the pod even though they were on vacation. I remove them from the pod, but decide to check the crew building.

And they weren't there anymore. And neither was Bob.

Checked the save file, and found that their State was changed to 9001.

Changed it back to Available, and I have all three of them available (with their vacation reset to six days) again for future missions.

Yea, setting their status to 9001 (an invalid value) is how I keep them out of the selection roster. There are a lot of situations where it is forced to mark them differently, though, so if it happens again, simply hiding and showing the crew list in the vab should restore them.

I'll take another look at it though, after finals :D

Vacation lengths are configurable; there are options for minimum time, maximum time, and percentage of mission time. Default is 7, 28, 10, so vacations are a minimum of 1 week long, a maximum of 4 weeks, and the base length is 10% of the mission they just returned from.

Cool! With KCT, I may indeed want to increase vacation time, as I often go weeks and months without conducting a manned (Kerbiled?) mission. Then again, that may just be my playstyle: I get attached to my Kerbils, and I don't like risking their lives unless I have to. I'm curious whether other KCT users have thoughts on what vacation lengths might work best with that mod.

I have a problem.

I uninstalled your mod. Unfortunately there were still some kerbals on vacation, these kerbals are vanished now.

Ship manifest told me that they are now at the location "9001"

Any idea how I get these Kerbals back? Simply reinstall the mod doesn't work

Go into your saves folder, find your career save, and open the file named "persistent".

Search for the "roster" section in that file, and look for the word "status" by the Kerbals you want back.

Change "9001" to "Available", and you should be good to go.

I have a problem.

I uninstalled your mod. Unfortunately there were still some kerbals on vacation, these kerbals are vanished now.

Ship manifest told me that they are now at the location "9001"

sorry obviously I'm blind, didn't see the post on the last page.

I could solve the problem by editing the persistend.syf.

Probably, that problem should be mentioned at the uninstall instructions

Er, sorry. Let me be more clear and keep you guys in the loop.

I'm the one maintaining the portion of KCT's code that makes it work with CrewQueue. I thought that I had it ready, and submitted the changes to get them in to this latest version of KCT, but there were some problems, and I haven't had the chance to address them.

CQ just exposes a data structure which defines which Kerbals are available, it doesnt modify the existing Roster. So to make KCT compatible, I need to insert code to make it actually work with this new roster structure. It isn't just plug-and-play, unfortunately.

I'm aiming for renewed compatibility in KCT 1.1.7, or in the Dev branch of KCT within the next couple of days.

Any news as to KCT compatibility.

sorry obviously I'm blind, didn't see the post on the last page.

I could solve the problem by editing the persistend.syf.

Probably, that problem should be mentioned at the uninstall instructions

Honestly, it shouldn't be possible for the persistence file to be written in such a way that that status is preserved. Thanks for the bug report!

Any news as to KCT compatibility.

Not really. My last final is tomorrow, I should have some free time to work on it this weekend.

Right now, if I send a Kerbal out in a jet for a five minute thrill-ride and buzzing the tower (while playing Danger Zone through the comms channels), he's out for a whole week (under default settings).

Maybe it's an idea to have a check for leaving Kerbin's atmosphere in the code? If at all possible, of course.

That way you could set it so that atmospheric pilots maybe only have (half?) a day off before their next mission, while astronauts can take the week off for enduring the rigours of space flight?

Is that an idea to look into?

One could just set the minimum days lower, to a day, but then the astronauts may end up having too short of a vacation for the amount of work done, if you get what I'm getting at.

Other than that, I am enjoying this mod. It's certainly made the managing more interesting. (And gave me a reason for rescuing Kerbals from orbit. Sheesh, the costs of hiring Kerbals is exorbitant!)

Are you going to make this CKAN compatable?

yes, once I feel comfortable with calling something a 'real' release, rather than a beta. What is left on the roadmap is figure out the conditions where crew fail to become un-hidden sometimes, and finish KCT compatibility.

AVC says the version of CrewQ I have installed, which is the one linked in the OP, is for 0.90.0.

It is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm publishing what I'm comfortable calling version '1.0' of this mod.

All outstanding bugs are fixed, as far as I know, now I'm going to work on KCT integration.