[1.0.x] CrewQueue - Crew Rotation and Vacations

enneract

CrewQueue

Crew Rotation and Variety

This mod is focused around the idea of encouraging the player to keep a deeper roster of crew, and to increase the value of individual experienced crew.

TL;DR

This mod gives crew members a 'cool-down' when they return to Kerbin, so that you need to use a more varied crew rather than just Bill, Bob, and Jeb. It also changes which crew are automatically selected, so that the most-experienced crew who has least-recently been on a mission is picked first.

Features

• Crew go on Vacation after completing a mission, between 7 and 28 days in length, depending on the length of their mission. (configurable)
  • While on Vacation, crew cannot be sent on missions.
  • The main pod is crewed with the highest-level crew who has least-recently been on a mission, creating a sort of 'crew rotation'.
  • Crew assigned to pods, either automatically or with the 'fill' button, will make some sense in regard to what that part does. For example, Science Labs will get mostly Scientists, Cockpits will get at least one Pilot, etc.

Installation

[Download] the latest Release or Pre-release. Pre-releases should be used knowing that they contain bugs, and the newest Release will generally be identical to the newest Pre-release.

Once you've downloaded this file, simply unzip it and merge the GameData directory with the one located in your Kerbal Space Program installation directory, overwriting any files if prompted.

Known Issues

• Renaming Kerbals or changing their professions is unsupported. KerbalStats method of changing professions may work.
  • KCT compatibility might be flaky. VERY INTERESTED in bug or usage reports from KCT\CrewQ mod configurations.
  • Reported problems with Final Frontier. I have not been able to duplicate them (please report these bugs!)

Uninstallation

To uninstall all of my mods, simply remove the Fingerboxes directory located in your GameData directory. To remove a particular mod, remove the relevant sub-directory located in the Fingerboxes directory, you should leave the 'Common' directory unless you are removing all of my mods.

Building

If you would like to build this mod from source, for whatever reason, it has the following dependencies.

From Kerbal Space Program:

• Assembly-CSharp.dll
  • Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll
  • UnityEngine.dll

From other sources:

• FingerboxLib.dll (At this moment, also built from this project)

I accept pull requests.

Future Plans

This mod is only the first in a planned series with the goal of making time a resource which you must manage in the same way that you currently manage FUNds, Science!, and Reputation. There are no further plans for this mod, but many of the plans talked about previously are likely to appear in their own, seperate, mod, as I feel that they are too far removed from the initial design goals of this mod. I prefer a modular design to a monolithic one, and I would rather that you, the user only need install the features which you want to use.

The only currently-unimplemented goals for this mod are an API, so that other mods may interact with it, a penalty for ending a crew's vacation early (likely a longer vacation next time), and a 'lite' version that does not contain crew reassignment or vacations, simply removes crew from the VAB and Launch dialogs.

License

I am fully committed to free software, and I feel that the concept of imposing licensing requirements on software in general, and mods in particular, beyond simple attribution is absurd. As such, this mod is released under the terms of the MIT License.

TL;DR

• You may not hold me liable for any defects in the software or damage caused by the software.
  • If you reuse or modify my code, you must include the copyright and license with that code, but it does not need to apply to your entire work - just the components which are based on my work.
  • You may reuse or modify my code.
  • You may distribute my code.
  • You may change the license of my code, so long as you include the original attribution and license text. In other words, you may publish a modified version of my code under a more restrictive license, but you may not publish it under a license which removes my attribution.
  • You may do any of the above for private, or commercial purposes.

As an aside, I would love to know if you find my work useful enough to modify for your own purposes. That would make my day. Additionally, if anyone reads this and finds a flaw in my interpretation of the license, please let me know (preferably with a citation to make your point more clear).

Edited by enneract

That's a great idea! I've downloaded it to try and have some points to observe:

• I used an existing save;
  • it showed a button (with the picture of a head) on the stock bar and the menu opened fine. I didn't select to hide it permanently because I don't know how to get it back;
  • my existing kerbals ribbons and mission count (from Final Frontier) disappeared;
  • I reloaded a previews quicksave and the statistics came back but the button on the toolbar disappeared.

Hope this helps... :)

That's a great idea! I've downloaded it to try and have some points to observe:

• I used an existing save;
  • it showed a button (with the picture of a head) on the stock bar and the menu opened fine. I didn't select to hide it permanently because I don't know how to get it back;
  • my existing kerbals ribbons and mission count (from Final Frontier) disappeared;
  • I reloaded a previews quicksave and the statistics came back but the button on the toolbar disappeared.

Hope this helps... :)

Can you send me saves? Both states, preferably.

I like this. Will make it easier for me to assign crews in a similar fashion as the recent ones where the oranges tend to fly continuously unless you throw them out of the capsule or keep them on permanent assignment elsewhere!

Can you send me saves? Both states, preferably.

Sorry, didn't see you message until now. I've played last night, so the persistent has changed (though I think the reason it behaved strangely should still be there).

About the quicksave, I think it was the 13th. Since I'm not sure, I'm sending the probable one (after ten and before 14).

http://www.filedropper.com/kspsavescrewq

I like the idea of this mod and will probably grab it when I get home. one small question though, not pertinent to current build:

"A penalty for crew pulled off their missions early is planned."

=

"A penalty for crew pulled off their vacation early is planned."?

I like the idea of this mod and will probably grab it when I get home. one small question though, not pertinent to current build:

"A penalty for crew pulled off their missions early is planned."

=

"A penalty for crew pulled off their vacation early is planned."?

Yep.

In other news, I've got some computer trouble, so no updates for a little bit.

Sorry, didn't see you message until now. I've played last night, so the persistent has changed (though I think the reason it behaved strangely should still be there).

About the quicksave, I think it was the 13th. Since I'm not sure, I'm sending the probable one (after ten and before 14).

http://www.filedropper.com/kspsavescrewq

None of those files contain any data from CrewQ.

I'm more than happy to admit that this is probably me doing something wrong... but this just doesn't seem to be working for me.

The mod loads, and I get the options menu on the stock toolbar in KSC, but when I recover a flight, Jeb is available for the next mission instantly. (I tested using just stock and CrewQ just to be on the safe side, so I don't think it's mod conflict).

Now admittedly this was a very short flight (I just launched a Mk1 pod on a SRB to check it out) but my understanding is that even this should trigger a 7 day vacation? I've attached my output log if it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivrtklna104p7ty/output_log.txt?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...
I've been away from KSP modding because of reasons.

Expect updates soon.

PHEW! I'm glad to know it!

I've tested it again: at first my Final Frontier data disappeared (again) but... when I reloaded the last quicksave, everything seemed to return to normal.

I'm ashamed to say it, but doesn't it show a button or some kind of interface? How do I test it? :blush:

EDIT1: Oops! I've quitted and entered the game again and the stock toolbar showd a new icon (a person silluette). I'll try it...

EDIT2: The MOD seems to work just fine in the VAB. So, I assume it works on Sandbox Mode. But on my career save, using KTC, on launch, the crew wasn't changed (even selecting "Remove default crews" and "Automatically select crew"). Without random selection, the first kerbanauts are always selected, and with random selection, nothing matters, the selection is... random! ;) How should be a mission to "trigger" CrewQ? :blush:

Edited by jlcarneiro

PHEW! I'm glad to know it!

I've tested it again: at first my Final Frontier data disappeared (again) but... when I reloaded the last quicksave, everything seemed to return to normal.

I'm ashamed to say it, but doesn't it show a button or some kind of interface? How do I test it? :blush:

EDIT1: Oops! I've quitted and entered the game again and the stock toolbar showd a new icon (a person silluette). I'll try it...

EDIT2: The MOD seems to work just fine in the VAB. So, I assume it works on Sandbox Mode. But on my career save, using KTC, on launch, the crew wasn't changed (even selecting "Remove default crews" and "Automatically select crew"). Without random selection, the first kerbanauts are always selected, and with random selection, nothing matters, the selection is... random! ;) How should be a mission to "trigger" CrewQ? :blush:

Oh, uhm, yea. KTC will break this mod for the moment. I'll PR some hooks so that I can integrate with it.

The bugfixing is exacerbated by the fact that I'm not actually *playing* KSP, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm more than happy to admit that this is probably me doing something wrong... but this just doesn't seem to be working for me.

The mod loads, and I get the options menu on the stock toolbar in KSC, but when I recover a flight, Jeb is available for the next mission instantly. (I tested using just stock and CrewQ just to be on the safe side, so I don't think it's mod conflict).

Now admittedly this was a very short flight (I just launched a Mk1 pod on a SRB to check it out) but my understanding is that even this should trigger a 7 day vacation? I've attached my output log if it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivrtklna104p7ty/output_log.txt?dl=0

Career or Sandbox? List of mods? Output file is super helpful, but I'll be honest and say that I don't want to scour it for for the low-hanging fruit.

The bugfixing is exacerbated by the fact that I'm not actually *playing* KSP, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Career or Sandbox? List of mods? Output file is super helpful, but I'll be honest and say that I don't want to scour it for for the low-hanging fruit.

Either/Or doesn't matter. Career and Sandbox both don't work (default crews load, and are immediately available after recovery). No mods, my first thought was mod conflict so I pulled all my mods out to do the 50/50 method, but it didn't work with just stock either. I also just downloaded a clean copy of KSP, just in case there were some traces left behind.

Just in case it's PEBCAK... here is what I'm doing. Build a craft in VAB (stick a Mk1 pod on a SRB and give it a chute). Launch said craft directly from VAB. Fly up 1000m or so, and parachute back down. Recover craft by using the button that appears above the altimeter in the flight scene. Result: Astro complex says available for next mission, and I can load them straight back onto the next ship