Jeb's RC Saturn V- a fully functional mini Apollo probe mission

This is great, its so detailed yet so small. Its got to be one of the best spacecraft I have ever seen. If I may ask what is the part count? I would give you some rep but it appears you have made so many cool things that I need to spread it around first. Thanks for showing us this.

Lol, that's ok. I'm just happy you liked it. The part count is around 350 if I remember correctly.

I first thought, that were SLS tanks, but then i realized how small the craft actually is. And the lander module is really sweet :)

Well done!

Thank you Frank_G! She's a cutie ain't she!

I really love both your lander and the whole RC Saturn V. It inspired me to build a tiny moon probe for my next missions that totally rips off your design:

http://s27.postimg.org/k92yx91ur/screenshot43_detail.png

That's awesome! I'm very happy to have inspired you. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Wow, most awesome micro lander and funny storyline!

:-) thanks mate. I'm not much for stories..

Yeah, but it never got off the ground because I never built a powerful enough pico Ares V. It works though, and I might continue it soon

You should man, what I saw looked really promising!

I'd love to see a picture of this sitting next to its larger counterpart.

My Selene apollo isn't that big, I could show it next to your Apollo Gus if that's ok with you?

I got the craft and saw the farings were made of solar panels and cubic struts wich are phyisicless.

Those parts are massless once loaded into the game. They still have physics properties though.

Most adorable Apollo mission ever xD

Thanks matey!

I'd be more than OK with that. :)

Sweet! so here they are together! The size difference was surprising. :0.0: I had a look around your rocket Gus and its very nice indeed, She flies beautifully!

I tried to launch them together but attaching them did something odd to the staging..

Just so everyone knows, the larger more realistic sized Saturn V is Gusturbo's. If you like it, and you should its ace then rep him for it!

2ijr8yw.jpg

23vcew4.jpg

s6isy0.jpg

Edited by Majorjim

Looks great MJ. It's so cute! Congratulations on being featured in a tweet by SQUAD; that's pretty cool. Do you, by any chance, have a craft file for the control room? I think that would be nice to have sitting near the launch pad, just for fun. :D

Looks great MJ. It's so cute! Congratulations on being featured in a tweet by SQUAD; that's pretty cool. Do you, by any chance, have a craft file for the control room? I think that would be nice to have sitting near the launch pad, just for fun. :D

Its part of something for someone else. I'm not sure he will even use it though. I will ask and get back to you.

And thanks!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
MJ, i'm sorry to report, this has been broken by the latest KSP update. It can't get off the ground. It's a shame, both this, and your Eagle 1 SSTO looked amazing.

Hey man, I don't mind at all. When I made them they worked perfectly. I think its most likely due to the nerf of the motors I used..

I don't like to look backwards though. I am moving forward with new craft and new ideas. It may be possible for this to fly again so I may revisit it soon though.

Thanks for the kind words mate.

MJ

Hey man, I don't mind at all. When I made them they worked perfectly. I think its most likely due to the nerf of the motors I used..

I don't like to look backwards though. I am moving forward with new craft and new ideas. It may be possible for this to fly again so I may revisit it soon though.

Thanks for the kind words mate.

MJ

Actually, I think a version with Thuds replacing the engine clusters on the bottom would probably give you the oomph necessary to lift enough fuel of the ground... And ant engines have amazing Isp/weight stats for in-space propulsion now! Their actual tiny thrust and weight lend themselves very well for you to do a new take on this with a much lighter LM/CM, maybe even with realistic propulsion and everything! I mean, I bet the chemical system to land such a tiny thing on Mun (even is it has to take off again) is MUCH lighter than the Ion and electric system.

Rune. The solar panels are physics-less, so their drag in the fairings shouldn't be an insurmountable issue.

Actually, I think a version with Thuds replacing the engine clusters on the bottom would probably give you the oomph necessary to lift enough fuel of the ground... And ant engines have amazing Isp/weight stats for in-space propulsion now! Their actual tiny thrust and weight lend themselves very well for you to do a new take on this with a much lighter LM/CM, maybe even with realistic propulsion and everything! I mean, I bet the chemical system to land such a tiny thing on Mun (even is it has to take off again) is MUCH lighter than the Ion and electric system.

Rune. The solar panels are physics-less, so their drag in the fairings shouldn't be an insurmountable issue.

Hi Rune. Thanks for commenting. I doubt there is enough dv to land the lander and return to orbit with only one oscar-b fuel tank. That's all that would fit in the lander. As of now it only has one xenon tank which (was) more than enough.

If I do decide to revisit this, (I would rather work on something new though) I will find a solution!

• 3 months later...
47 minutes ago, samamstar said:

I think 1.0 broke it :( It cant even lift off the pad

Yup, indeed it did. The motors got a major nerf.. I may look at it again someday but I think it's now part of KSP history. :(

Flying Mun returns with this was a tonne of fun.

• 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

UPDATE MY DUDE. UPDATE ALL THE DOWNLOADS FOR ALL YOUR AWESOME STUFF

I wish I had time man.. I have been building and posting for years now and the game has changed so much a lot of my older stuff just does not work anymore.. This is definitely on the list of things to update after the constellation pack though!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.