What was the first mod ever created?

TheScareCake!

The first mod I ever saw myself was around 0.13, it was a very roughly-modelled engine with pink textures. It looked more like a modified fuel tank than an engine, though, heh. But I can't speak to anything earlier than that... I wasn't around before then. It was likely among the first mods, though. I can't recall any others being made for versions earlier than that.

I remember three mods.

1. A twisted fuel tank with broken (red) textures. I think it came in two lengths and was pretty OP.

2. There was this giant blabla-9000 engine that drained all the fuel in seconds, then hit the launch tower. Bring this one back! I would love to see it in comparison to the NASA parts.

3. There was a part bundle for a Soyuz like rocket in orange and white/grey with a lander on top. The capsule was a white half-sphere with a red circle on top. It reminded me of the Glados cores from portal. You would put that on a blocky u shaped service module to create the lander. It was pretty detailed for the time.

I did my first mun landing with it.

I don't think that any of those were the first mod but they were awesome.

Does someone remember the names?

Edit: Oh and i remember to use this one: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/4252-REAL-LIVE-KERBANAUTS-FOR-SCIENCE%21%21%21%21%21

Back then there was a Kerbaltab in the parts list. Somehiw if I remember it right the parts weren't located there but in utilities.

Edit 2: If I remember right there was a mod that wasn't very well received by the community. The thread got ugly at some point.

It was some kind of building/structure with a pretty ugly green-female-lizard-thing inside you could interact with per right click. I think it would then start to dance or play guitar or... something.

I don't know why it was rejected and failed. It seems crazily awesome.

Edited by Baenki

I remember three mods.

3. There was a part bundle for a Soyuz like rocket in orange and white/grey with a lander on top. The capsule was a white half-sphere with a red circle on top. It reminded me of the Glados cores from portal. You would put that on a blocky u shaped service module to create the lander. It was pretty detailed for the time.

I did my first mun landing with it.

I remember this too, it was great for its time. I think it was my first mun landing too. Either that or the early Nova Punch stuff. Someone also had a Constellation Program pack out, though the models were mostly white.

There were actually mods made for KSP before even I started playing. The Sunday Punch Pack was one of the early favorites, as was the Nova Pack, and later they were combined into the NovaPunch Pack. I don't recall if either were necessarily the first, but both were early "must-have" KSP mods.

I remember the twisted red fuel tank that was OP, the BFE-9000 or something like that, the kerbals that could be decoupled, the plane parts, that parachute that deployed right away, the nova punch mod, and that fancy pod. There's a lot more I kind of remember but I can't really list them all because I don't remember them that well. :)

Judging by the date it was posted on the forum, the first mod released was ugly red fuel tank (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/454-Yxxxx-Industries) on 16th July 2011, but a thread that talks about changing liquid engines is older (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78-Fuel-Rocket-modification-freezing-stopping-the-game-at-Loading).

There were some really awesome stuff from the beginning. You can view them on

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forums/35-Add-on-Releases?sort=threadstart&order=asc

Heh, NovaSilisko made that one IIRC. Possibly the most "kerbal" mod ever.

There were actually mods made for KSP before even I started playing. The Sunday Punch Pack was one of the early favorites, as was the Nova Pack, and later they were combined into the NovaPunch Pack. I don't recall if either were necessarily the first, but both were early "must-have" KSP mods.

It's been long enough that you've forgotten the names. :) Sunday Punch's pack was called "Wobbly Rockets" and NovaSilisko's was called "SIDR", Tiberion combined them after their creators moved on to other things to make the perennial NovaPunch pack.

All these were pre-plugin mods. Another great one was foamy's "Instant Orbits", a decoupler that through absurd dimensions would put you in orbit or on a Munar transfer trajectory as soon as it was decoupled (this was way before things like HyperEdit were even possible).

I actually have a working BFE-9000.

I want it! Can I have it?

Heck I would even give you rep if I can not have it... if I knew how.

Edit: Found it. The mobile site has no rep button.

+Rep for you good sir, for showing the size comparison NASA - BFE-9000

Edited by Baenki

I remember when Nova and Sunday Punch were separate. There was this one really bulbous orange tank I liked that had an outrageous amount of fuel and then there was this cool "ion" engine that was just a normal engine with only 50 thrust but outrageous ISP. Then another mod added what was in effect an asteroid (if memory serves, it was around a class D in size) as a part you could add to your ship. The description said it was the Mun, and questioned why it was down here then tells you to get it back up there. The only way I was ever able to get that damn thing into orbit was using those OP orange tanks. But I did it.

Looking at that thread for the red fuel tanks was weird. I wonder if any of those people are still around?

I actually have a working BFE-9000 that I ported to KSP 0.25 (and which should work in 0.90 too), but I didn't post it due to worries about licensing. Is it okay for me to repost ports of defunct mods without the original creators' approval?

http://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/17/27/45/47/clipbo11.jpg

I'd say that depends on the license they released it under. Usually if no license is specified, it's best to assume "all rights reserved", however I don't think that necessarily precludes just making it available again if they were distributing it for free themselves.

But, I'm not a lawyer. ;)

I actually have a working BFE-9000 that I ported to KSP 0.25 (and which should work in 0.90 too), but I didn't post it due to worries about licensing. Is it okay for me to repost ports of defunct mods without the original creators' approval?

http://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/17/27/45/47/clipbo11.jpg

I'd say that depends on the license they released it under. Usually if no license is specified, it's best to assume "all rights reserved", however I don't think that necessarily precludes just making it available again if they were distributing it for free themselves.

But, I'm not a lawyer. ;)

I missed this when reading the thread earlier. NecroBones is right that the default license is "All Rights Reserved" unless otherwise specified. One of the rights that are reserved is the right to redistribute, so unfortunately it is not OK to repost your version, parameciumkid. (Which is too bad, I would love to play with it again.)

This policy may seem a bit draconian, but part of supporting a healthy mod community is respecting the intellectual property and licensing choices of the modders.

That's probably for the best, actually.

Before licensing became a thing with mods, the modders were extremely persnickety when work was stolen, or when someone else came along and used their work without their permission. For example, poking back through some old forum threads from December 2011 turned up several threads for what were basically just somewhat poor-quality retextures of stock KSP parts and/or other modders' parts. The original modders were not super happy about it, hehehe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.