[DEV THREAD] REPOSoftTech - AmpYear Power Manager, Reserve Power , Ion RCS v0.18 23rd June 2015

JPLRepo

Should I continue with 'Cabin Craziness' Feature?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should I continue with 'Cabin Craziness' Feature?

• Split it off into another mod
    • Keep going
    • Scrap it

It's the only one I know of that adds tweaking of the reaction wheels. When I installed this it gave huge figures (like 3.642E8, now that is some heavy torque ;) ) but normal figures without. I'll reinstall this so I can get you a log. :)

Reinstalled with the same strange results for tweaking a manned command pod reaction settings. Got a lot and screen shots.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbtiqzwa9x6i9qp/output_log.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/093utbsukfcvl5c/screenshot0.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qy2rdlbazwrj68j/screenshot1.png?dl=0

Removing AmpYear make it all go back to normal, so something in definitely conflicting. Any testing you need to figure out what is going on let me know. This is a great idea so sorting out any compatibility issues would probably help a lot of users in the end. :)

Thanks I will take a look into it. I noticed the same, but only if you rescale the size of the pod first. Will require some investigation into how this other mod works because there is nothing obvious in the log. Except another bug which I fixed but it didn't fix this problem. I also saw lots if null refs in a bunch of your other installed mods you might want to check out. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Ok after a fair bit of testing. I don't believe this to be an issue with AmpYear. I can re-produce the crazy torque numbers error without AmpYear installed... but I found the only way I could do it was with TweakableEverything and Tweakscale together.. When I changed the command pod size with Tweakscale then the TweakableEverything torque numbers went crazy. In the pictures you posted it didn't see like you had Tweakscale installed.. but maybe you have something else conflicting with this mod? Because as I said, I reproduced this without AmpYear installed.

Not sure how the code for this works, but I have a suggestion for the cabin craziness stuff. For temperature, can parts that normally produce excess heat, like reactors, engines and RTGs be made to raise the internal ambient temp of crewable parts near them, requiring us to air condition it?

Not sure how the code for this works, but I have a suggestion for the cabin craziness stuff. For temperature, can parts that normally produce excess heat, like reactors, engines and RTGs be made to raise the internal ambient temp of crewable parts near them, requiring us to air condition it?

Currently how it works:

Each crewable part will slowly change temperature towards the outside ambient temperature... when it gets to that temperature it remains around that temperature.

I'm not sure what mechanic I could implement... when you say 'near' how close comes to mind? You would need to figure out.. how far is too far to affect the crew part.

Definitely no TweakScale. Even enough through the files for Internal Robotics to keep from having to have that thing. Did notice an update to Tweakable Everything so will try against that. Don't know what else could be looking at torque otherwise. :(

Hmm, good question. What about just having heat conduct through attachment nodes and through surface attachment of parts? So if a capsule is separated, and insulated, by a tank from an engine, it gets no heating.

Parts that cause heating should have some sort of scale or multiplier associated with them. Nuclear engines for example, should cause a whole lot more heating then a rocko 48-7S.

Edited by Errol

do you plan to add Pop corn machines, snack vending machines, ice cream automatic machines and stuff like that

I think kerbals would be into that kind of stuff :)

and maybe an espresso machine for the pilot

I think I'll leave that to the Snacks mod and other life support mods.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, good question. What about just having heat conduct through attachment nodes and through surface attachment of parts? So if a capsule is separated, and insulated, by a tank from an engine, it gets no heating.

Parts that cause heating should have some sort of scale or multiplier associated with them. Nuclear engines for example, should cause a whole lot more heating then a rocko 48-7S.

Hmmm. Interesting idea. I'll look at it.

Just a heads up:

- Seems to conflict with RealFuels. Fuel config dialog disappears on command pods; still there for tanks.

- Empty field in right click menu that changes to "**not found**" on toggle.

- No config window in ControlCenter. No button in stock, none in Blizzys Toolbar.

No errors in log file.

As I have 120+ mods installed (all playing along well) I can give you no further pointer as to where this may orign from. Sorry.

Just a heads up:

- Seems to conflict with RealFuels. Fuel config dialog disappears on command pods; still there for tanks.

- Empty field in right click menu that changes to "**not found**" on toggle.

- No config window in ControlCenter. No button in stock, none in Blizzys Toolbar.

No errors in log file.

As I have 120+ mods installed (all playing along well) I can give you no further pointer as to where this may orign from. Sorry.

Try the 0.12a release I just published in the OP post.

Some more updates. Version 0.12b released. More tweaks to Cabin Craziness calcs including distance from Kerbin and Cabin Temperature will now affect Craziness if the cabin temperature is outside 5 degrees from the Climate control setting.

See the OP Post for more details.

When using this mod the SAS semi-randomly turns off. It appears to happen more often when a vessels EC is numerically low, ie more batteries = more reliable SAS. This happens with manned and unmanned vessels, and doesn't seem to have any relationship to whether the reaction wheels are actively being used.

Is this an intended feature or a bug?

When using this mod the SAS semi-randomly turns off. It appears to happen more often when a vessels EC is numerically low, ie more batteries = more reliable SAS. This happens with manned and unmanned vessels, and doesn't seem to have any relationship to whether the reaction wheels are actively being used.

Is this an intended feature or a bug?

Intended feature. You must have AmpYear Manager ON for SAS to function.

That is on, I have EC (some but not much), and the SAS is still being turned off.

The mod does check if you have enough power or not. If you do not it powers down the SAS and waits until you have enough charge again then turns it on again. I'm guessing this might be happening? I'm assuming it's not the cabin craziness where the crew shuts it down, because you said this is happening for unmanned ships as well. But would need a lot more info. Eg: when it happens how much charge do you actually have? If you could share a save file and/or some screenshots and a log file (switch on debug mode and save settings in the AmpYear menu at the space enter first) would help.'d have to do some testing to see if I can figure out what's going on. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

The mod does check if you have enough power or not.

If this is a straight EC check and ignores power flow, then that would be the problem I'm having. Maybe even if it does check power flow. I'll go play with it some more to see if it's working as planned.

The ships I'm having the most problems with are unmanned satellites without any extra batteries. I am launching during the day and relying on the engine's generator to keep it powered until I could deploy the solar panels. After I get a stable orbit, I wait until the vessel isn't in shadow to do manoeuvres.

If this is a straight EC check and ignores power flow, then that would be the problem I'm having. Maybe even if it does check power flow. I'll go play with it some more to see if it's working as planned.

The ships I'm having the most problems with are unmanned satellites without any extra batteries. I am launching during the day and relying on the engine's generator to keep it powered until I could deploy the solar panels. After I get a stable orbit, I wait until the vessel isn't in shadow to do manoeuvres.

It is a straight EC check. It does not check power flow? if you mean power being generated by engine generators? to see how much charge you have. But it DOES include power being generated when showing the figures for how much charge is being created/used by the ship.

The minimum charge you need is approx. 5 EC. I say approx because it depends on how fast your PC is as to how fast the game runs.

Also, I went and checked the code, there is a number of debug messages that might help figure out what is going on. so if you want me to look further into it can you please go into the AmpYear menu in the space center and turn on "Debug Mode" - green light on. then perform normal game interactions to get the problem to recur and then post me your log file.

mean power being generated by engine generators? to see how much charge you have

That is what I meant.

After making ships with batteries I haven't been able to replicate the problem.

If I can break it again I'll post an output_log.

Thanks for the speedy support.

re: your poll

IMO you have 3 mods:

The RCS parts - just those parts

Kabin Krazyness - the crazy stat, effects, and everything under the Luxury tab

Power Management - the reserve batteries and resource, and everything under the Reserve and Subsys(tems) tabs

[edit]I see them as three mods because each can be coherent on its own even though they can have interoperability with each other[/edit]

After a little bit of playing with this, the way Reserve Power works feels backwards to me. I'm not sure how to change it, or even articulate more about what I feel the problem is. I'll think about it some, but if anyone understands what I mean discussion might help coalesce my thought.

Edited by Invader Myk

IMO you have 3 mods:

Power Management - the reserve batteries and resource, and everything under the Reserve and Subsys(tems) tabs

[edit]I see them as three mods because each can be coherent on its own even though they can have interoperability with each other[/edit]

After a little bit of playing with this, the way Reserve Power works feels backwards to me. I'm not sure how to change it, or even articulate more about what I feel the problem is. I'll think about it some, but if anyone understands what I mean discussion might help coalesce my thought.

Fully agree.

IMO you have 3 mods:

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by backwards? The Reserve Power is exactly that. The ship will draw electric charge from the main batteries first... when these run out you can transfer power from any Reserve Power you have. You can store Reserve power in Reserve Batteries just like you can store Electrical Charge in normal batteries.

Recharging - When the ship is producing more electrical charge than it is using it will first re-charge regular batteries (stock) and when they are full (well at a certain percentage to be exact, which you can set in the Settings panel) it will recharge the Reserve Batteries.

Finally, you can transfer power from Reserve to Main or Main to Reserve using the in-flight GUI.

Fully agree.

Thanks.

As I mentioned before to Errol. I am reticent to split the ION/PPT RCS from AmpYear as it was part of the original mod by SodiumEyes even though he has given permission to do what I will with it.

I'll have a think about it. The reason I put the poll is I am really trying to decide if I want to split the KabinKraziness, or to scrap it (cause I just don't know what it is adding to gameplay, perhaps some realism, not sure). anyway, I'll continue to ponder it. In the meantime been working on a new release which has fixed a number of bugs including fixing vessel switching when you go EVA (nasty bug I didn't even know about until I tried it myself). Re-balacing of the KabinCraziness calcs, I've removed Hibernation if you time warp, so everything keeps running in timewarp, but will drop you out of time warp if you hit a configurable Low Electrical Charge Percentage. Still got a few bugs and testing to do before I release it.. probably next week now as I will have little spare time this week.

Edited by JPLRepo

I say split it off...

I run heavily part modded games, so I pretty much dont use any mods that are just for aesthetics, realism, or more resources than a stock game...I like to keep the mods stripped down to what "I" consider bare minimum for my style of gameplay...If I had a more powerful computer, i would partake of the extra resources mods, but any extra resources are out at this time for me...

I REALLY like and want to use the power management part of this mod, as I really loved the original...But i would most likely NOT use any of the other features you have, except the Reserve Power (which I think is essential to the mod as a "power manager", anyway), and I like the TurnBooster...But I not be using the others...So i would prefer a stripped down version of the mod...

THAT being said, I like the idea of all the other features, even the "Kabin Kraziness"...I would NOT scrap that...Just split it off and offer it as a separate mod, that nicely interfaces with AmpYear....

You already put all the work into it, and I am SURE there WILL be people interested in it...It IS a pretty unique idea so far...

I figured out why the reserve power felt backwards.

The term got subconsciously associated with back-up generators. So the entire power flow scheme was flowing in reverse of what I was thinking it should be.

But it did get me thinking about a feature that might be interesting in this.

Designating a EC using part as critical. Critical systems can be powered, maybe at a lower efficiency, directly from reserve power without having to convert the resource to Electric Charge. This would be very useful for life support mods. Mark the air recyclers as critical and no longer worry about the crew suffocating while passing behind a planet.

Hmmm...i havent tried the new version of this mod yet, so I dont know if what I'm suggesting may be part of it or not, but Invader Myks above post just got me thinking...maybe it would be nice to have a feature kind of like TAC Fuel Balancer, where you could assign/prioritize separate parts, into critical/non-critical systems, which turn off/on, once certain power levels are reached...??

I know you can turn off/on electrical parts, and move EC between parts, with the stock right click menu, and do the same and even balance with TAC FB, but would be nice to have the added functionality to assign automatic actions once certain power levels are reached, rather than having scramble and do it all manually, right before you realise you are about to run out of power...

For example, once ship power reaches, say 20%, assign science, lighting, data transmission, and other non-essential parts to automatically shutdown, solar panels to activate...Then maybe at 10%, have navigation and possibly manuevering systems shutdown, and life support switch over to reserve power...

Anyway, i just think it would be kewl to be able to customize everything to mission parameters, using a GUI kind of like TAC Fuel Balancer...

Edited by Stone Blue