[DEV THREAD] REPOSoftTech - AmpYear Power Manager, Reserve Power , Ion RCS v0.18 23rd June 2015

JPLRepo

Should I continue with 'Cabin Craziness' Feature?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should I continue with 'Cabin Craziness' Feature?

• Split it off into another mod
    • Keep going
    • Scrap it

this is spamming wrong BTSM messages in the log file. I see many similar reports of log spam, but not for this one specifically.

I do not use BTSM so yes the version will be wrong... :P

BTSM wold be wrong no matter what - seeing as how it is not updated for KSP 1.0.x yet and I haven't updated this mod for any KSP 1.0.x version of BTSM - obviously. I don't get this problem without BTSM installed and surprised you would either. I'd need more info to do any further investigation. Ie: what version of AmpYear are you using and a log file please.

can do... I s just using the version CKAN gave me. but I will re install it and see what happens. if the problem is still there I will give you the log.

Problem is the log file was over 500MB it had so many of these error messages in it. Another symptom is my FPS drops to slide show speeds, (or even slower... oil painting speeds) when I have this mod installed. I assume it is because the game is so busy writing log entries it cant be bothered to actually run the game...

I will reinstall and report back

can do... I s just using the version CKAN gave me. but I will re install it and see what happens. if the problem is still there I will give you the log.

Problem is the log file was over 500MB it had so many of these error messages in it. Another symptom is my FPS drops to slide show speeds, (or even slower... oil painting speeds) when I have this mod installed. I assume it is because the game is so busy writing log entries it cant be bothered to actually run the game...

I will reinstall and report back

Thanks. I don't support CKAN. I didn't put this mod on CKAN. If you are having issues with CKAN installs please install manually from the download links in the OP. I don't trust CKAN.

Also check you don't have a BTSM.DLL somewhere in your install.

Also, if you get it to do it again, please post steps of how to re-create the problem and a log file. I've had a look just tonight at the code, and my own installs. I can't get this issue myself, and like I said BTSM has not been updated for KSP 1.0.X. So unless you have a old copy of BTSM installed.. you should not get this error.

Does it occur in VAB(editor) or flight? or both?

Edited by JPLRepo

never get to flight so I do not know. but the VAB is so laggy the game just ends up crashing after a few min. and the log file is 500MB as I said. here is a log file after only a short time in the VAB. maybe a minute.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75023494/output_log.txt

ampyear.dll "properties window" reports file version 0.14.5596.37114

I do not find any BTSM.dll anywhere on my computer.

And just to be sure, if I remove AY and KabinKrazy the lag is gone, and game runs fine for hours.

never get to flight so I do not know. but the VAB is so laggy the game just ends up crashing after a few min. and the log file is 500MB as I said. here is a log file after only a short time in the VAB. maybe a minute.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75023494/output_log.txt

ampyear.dll "properties window" reports file version 0.14.5596.37114

I do not find any BTSM.dll anywhere on my computer.

And just to be sure, if I remove AY and KabinKrazy the lag is gone, and game runs fine for hours.

You are two versions behind the latest and there was a bug that was spamming the log in the VAB. but it is fixed in v0.16a. See the changelog in the Opening Post. As suggested before, delete the mod version you have installed and download and re-install manually from kerbalstuff or GitHub. See OP links.

Edited by JPLRepo

Wow man, many thanks for keeping this mod alive!

Also, 90- and 45-degree angled 5- and 4-way ion & teflon RCS parts could be good, too :-D Albeit with reduced thrust.

Edit: This seems to make my FPS sooo low, TimeControl (which I do not have enabled usually, unless something's laggy) said I have only 26% of speed. AmpYear seems to poo in KSP log every second. Said log is available at https://www.sendspace.com/file/e1nu3n , please take a look.

Edited by cipherpunks
add

Wow man, many thanks for keeping this mod alive!

Also, 90- and 45-degree angled 5- and 4-way ion & teflon RCS parts could be good, too :-D Albeit with reduced thrust.

Edit: This seems to make my FPS sooo low, TimeControl (which I do not have enabled usually, unless something's laggy) said I have only 26% of speed. AmpYear seems to poo in KSP log every second. Said log is available at https://www.sendspace.com/file/e1nu3n , please take a look.

That's easy to fix. You have debugging on.

go into the Settings Menu for AmpYear in the Spacecenter and turn the 'Debug Mode' Radio button OFF, then click 'Save Settings' IE: The light next to it is off (not green) then save settings.

This will turn off all the debug msgs in the log.

Yeah, that fixed it, thanks. TBH that's what I thought that may be the case too, but I wasn't sure and had no time to test that then; thanks for doing my homework :-)

This module IS really helpful, even with 1-axis ion RCS as it is now (5-axis or even 2-axis would be better for sure, and maybe modelling it as it was on Mir station would be better too - I recall they had some low-thrust ion RCS back in 1990s).

Yeah, that fixed it, thanks. TBH that's what I thought that may be the case too, but I wasn't sure and had no time to test that then; thanks for doing my homework :-)

This module IS really helpful, even with 1-axis ion RCS as it is now (5-axis or even 2-axis would be better for sure, and maybe modelling it as it was on Mir station would be better too - I recall they had some low-thrust ion RCS back in 1990s).

I'll look into the multi way RCS. But have a lot going on at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you're using a large chunk of code from Fusebox, I thought you might want to know that Squad accepted a change request for RequestResource. It hasn't yet been implemented but hopefully "soon". The change is to allow delegate callbacks whenever ResourceRequest is called with resource and part granularity. Meaning resource tracking for charge will work for all modded parts without having to jump through hoops.

Do you update your core on FB releases or was it just a one off usage? I've been meaning to rewrite parts and I could make it more modular if it'd be useful.

Since you're using a large chunk of code from Fusebox, I thought you might want to know that Squad accepted a change request for RequestResource. It hasn't yet been implemented but hopefully "soon". The change is to allow delegate callbacks whenever ResourceRequest is called with resource and part granularity. Meaning resource tracking for charge will work for all modded parts without having to jump through hoops.

Do you update your core on FB releases or was it just a one off usage? I've been meaning to rewrite parts and I could make it more modular if it'd be useful.

Hey, yes I did re-use a chunk of code originally.. This mod was my first foray into code cutting for about 10+ years.

I'm not sure I gave credit in the code for it. But I used bits of code from all over the place. I'll check I have included credit to your code on the weekend in the source.

do you have a link to the info about ResourceRequest? Assume this is on their bug log? - This would be awesome if they do fix it.

I haven't gone back to the fusebox code and I have changed it a fair bit. It was a once-off. I've learnt a fair bit since I did this mod update and I'd probably like to go back and fix it up but don't have the time at the moment.

thanks again.

Hey, yes I did re-use a chunk of code originally.. This mod was my first foray into code cutting for about 10+ years.

I'm not sure I gave credit in the code for it. But I used bits of code from all over the place. I'll check I have included credit to your code on the weekend in the source.

do you have a link to the info about ResourceRequest? Assume this is on their bug log? - This would be awesome if they do fix it.

I haven't gone back to the fusebox code and I have changed it a fair bit. It was a once-off. I've learnt a fair bit since I did this mod update and I'd probably like to go back and fix it up but don't have the time at the moment.

thanks again.

No link I'm afraid, just a message from Maxmaps saying "Tasked. Shouldn't be much of a hassle. " We all write the same way, no big deal. Free software naturally builds on pre-existing work or we'd spend all our time reinventing basics. I keep putting off my own big re-write. First this callback stuff is in the pipeline and now they're moving to Unity 5, any large pieces of effort now would be kinda wasted to be honest.

No link I'm afraid, just a message from Maxmaps saying "Tasked. Shouldn't be much of a hassle. " We all write the same way, no big deal. Free software naturally builds on pre-existing work or we'd spend all our time reinventing basics. I keep putting off my own big re-write. First this callback stuff is in the pipeline and now they're moving to Unity 5, any large pieces of effort now would be kinda wasted to be honest.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait 'til they fix EC, requestresource and timewarp issues.

Unity 5 though will bring so much more awesomeness. but yes a lot of re-work.

Reporting an exception in location:

AY.AYController.CheckVsIUpdate

About 40 to 60 times a second when my craft crashes until I get the flight results.

Can you post the full exception details please? I don't need the 40-60 times a second... assuming they are all the same error.

and to clarify how I re-produce this error and the circumstances.. you crash a vessel.. and the dialog box comes up but this error continues until you click the box to get the flight results?

Can you post the full exception details please? I don't need the 40-60 times a second... assuming they are all the same error.

and to clarify how I re-produce this error and the circumstances.. you crash a vessel.. and the dialog box comes up but this error continues until you click the box to get the flight results?

It starts happening immediately when the craft crashes and it stops happening when the Flight Results dialog box appears. Recent log is at http://overminddl1.com/Kerbal/KSP.log.201506101832.tar.gz and the relevant lines in it are:

[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][EXC 19:43:38.005] InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object[/COLOR]
System.Linq.Enumerable.First[ModuleCommand] (IEnumerable`1 source)
AY.AYController.CheckVslUpdate ()
AY.AYController.FixedUpdate ()
[/FONT]

It starts happening immediately when the craft crashes and it stops happening when the Flight Results dialog box appears. Recent log is at http://overminddl1.com/Kerbal/KSP.log.201506101832.tar.gz and the relevant lines in it are:

[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][EXC 19:43:38.005] InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object[/COLOR]
System.Linq.Enumerable.First[ModuleCommand] (IEnumerable`1 source)
AY.AYController.CheckVslUpdate ()
AY.AYController.FixedUpdate ()
[/FONT]

Ok thanks for that. so the code is still looking for the destroyed vessel. It shouldn't cause any other dramas, just need to fix this to stop the log spam.

I assume once you close the flight results the issue goes away and everything goes back to normal?..

In which case, I'll put it on the list of things to fix in the next version.

Tracking issues on github.

Thanks again.

Edited by JPLRepo

Ok thanks for that. so the code is still looking for the destroyed vessel. It shouldn't cause any other dramas, just need to fix this to stop the log spam.

I assume once you close the flight results the issue goes away and everything goes back to normal?..

In which case, I'll put it on the list of things to fix in the next version.

Tracking issues on github.

Thanks again.

Yep, goes back to normal at that time. The only real thing it causes in game is just cutting the FPS by a bit, but at that time it does not matter anyway so it is not a big issue. I am just reporting all exceptions that I find to all mod authors as NPE's (NRE's in .NET parlance? I am a C++/Java dev by trade) tends to indicate a bug and even if it only happens once it can still have lasting effects, thus I am quite allergic to exceptions as I believe all developers should be. :-)

Yep, goes back to normal at that time. The only real thing it causes in game is just cutting the FPS by a bit, but at that time it does not matter anyway so it is not a big issue. I am just reporting all exceptions that I find to all mod authors as NPE's (NRE's in .NET parlance? I am a C++/Java dev by trade) tends to indicate a bug and even if it only happens once it can still have lasting effects, thus I am quite allergic to exceptions as I believe all developers should be. :-)

totally agree with you. I will fix it, just trying to prioritize the urgency. the challenge here is writing code that is modifying a compiled game, with no access to the source and unable to do proper debugging. I also am a qualified programmer (well I was when I finished University about 22 years ago). :)

But until I started mucking around with KSP modding I hadn't written any code for about 10 years.

Thanks again.

Edited by JPLRepo

Thanks for doing it. This mod is really appreciated - saved oh so many probes for me.

While You at it, please make 45 degrees angled 4-way version of RCS block too. TIA.

Forgive me ignorance... can you provide an example of what you are talking about?

For example, see RM-105-45 Micro RCS Block, that is, PART[RLA_rcs_micro45] in RLA_Stockalike. Those are 4-way ports with up/down nozzles unchanged, but side nozzles angled at 45 degrees to mid-part (and thus 90 degrees to each other), not at 90-to-midpart or 180 degrees. They enable us to add RCS to those crafts where sticking RCS at 90 degree symmetry is impossible (sticking 90-angled blocks at 45-degree symmetry will inevitably lead to gross RCS dV losses). TIA.

Quick bug report...

The four-port thrusters are NOT functioning properly. I get one direction of thrust, but that's it. Any idea what could be causing this?

Oh, and mods that I have installed that may affect this are RCSBuildAid, MechJeb, ModuleRCXFX, and RCSSounds.

Quick bug report...

The four-port thrusters are NOT functioning properly. I get one direction of thrust, but that's it. Any idea what could be causing this?

Oh, and mods that I have installed that may affect this are RCSBuildAid, MechJeb, ModuleRCXFX, and RCSSounds.

Hmmm, worked good in test. Must be a mod conflict.

Is that all the mods you have installed? Can I ask you to supply a log file? even better, go into AmpYear menu in the spacecenter and turn on debugging, reproduce your vessel, error and then post a log? That would expedite debugging.