Tech tree modifications

mossman

Not so much a request as a general query.

I'm quite dissatisfied with the stock tech tree, mostly because you start out with manned capsules, and robotic probes are much further down the line. I'd also like manned fixed-wing flight to come before manned rockets, and I'd like a simple tech-tree addon that accomplishes this without any complicated system of dependent addons (such as BTSM). I've also noticed that there are several utilities that allow modification of the technology tree, all of which seem to be outdated (We have Treeloader, TechManager and at least one other which I can't find at the moment).

Does anyone know of any fairly lightweight addons that accomplishes something like this, or where I can find more up to date info on modding the tech tree? I'm going to start trying to edit some of the unofficial configs that come with TechManager (which, while last updated for .25, still works with 0.90... I think) anyway but if there's already one out there that does something like what I want it'll save me some trouble.

It's a real pain to sort through a lot of this information since it's scattered across so many posts in different threads in the addon forums. Just need some pointers in the right direction.

Better than starting manned?

I mentioned in the OP that I don't want to involve any specific set of dependencies, as that mod does (rather I'd be mixing and matching individual addons to my own preference).

Straight from the BTSM thread:

It should be noted that other than the "required" and recommended mods, BTSM is intended to be played alone .... Overall, BTSM is intended to provide a tight, balanced, focused gameplay experience, not a broad one, or one that is open to a large number of player options.

Which is why I'm not using it (otherwise I would).

Edited by mossman

The SETI-BalanceMod (link in signature) starts with probes, continues with manned atmospheric flight and/or better probes and only then progresses with manned space flight.

It offers meaningful choices even in the beginning, and specifically supports lots of other gameplay mods, while every mod for stock should work in general.

TVxQqCC.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.