Do ANY females/girl gamers play KSP?

sedativechunk

Are you a female kerbonaut?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a female kerbonaut?

• Yes
    • No

Yes, it is another one of "those" post... I was just on another thread that was talking about KSP's impact in the world and in real life space travel and that got me thinking... is there ANY women out there that play Kerbal Space Program? :huh:

Seriously, if there is ever a more male-dominated video game in the world, this got to be it. Other games you come across or hear from females even on the forums. I don't think in all my time playing this game have I ever seen a women post on these forums. Unless their username wasn't conspicuous. None on YouTube, none on Twitch, none on Reddit, none on here. There are female scientist and astronauts out there. I am curious who is enthusiastic about this game of the opposite gender.

So without ado... are you a girl gamer who plays KSP? (cricket_soundeffect.wav)

Honestly. I bet there are female players (or do you prefer them fresh and underage asking for girl players?). Not as many as male players, but they are out there. But as far as I know them, they don't like to expose themselves openly. Would you open or answer a thread with something like: "Yes, I am male." ? I think not. Why should they? Sounds like sexism to me actually.

None on YouTube, none on Twitch (...)

You do know Tanuki Chau, right? Prolific KSP streamer, part of KSP TV, worked with Squad to paint all the new biomes in .90...?

There absolutely are girls and women who love and play KSP, I assure you! :)

Adding female kerbals is not only to 'appease' female players, I think it will also encourage a lot of them to sign up and start playing.

As for me, I'm just a lowly astrophysicist of doom...

*begins concocting some ridiculous formula while laughing away and rubbing hands together*

Edited by shadowsutekh
No gray or white colored text please.

Honestly. I bet there are female players (or do you prefer them fresh and underage asking for girl players?). Not as many as male players, but they are out there. But as far as I know them, they don't like to expose themselves openly. Would you open or answer a thread with something like: "Yes, I am male." ? I think not. Why should they? Sounds like sexism to me actually.

THIS.

And the fact it's a public poll is the icing on the cake really.

wait, what? There's another one on the forums?

ave nex alea

saluto nex alea

P.S. You should change your avatar, it's too lewd.

Oh God. You're not going to start ranting about fixed-wing prejudice are you? Jet fighters have rights too!

You could say I am a deviant, I sorta like the jib of the Rafale. It has a touch of exotism. Not to mention the on-board croissant oven.

Edited by Axelord FTW

If you openly doubt the existence of a group, don't be surprised if they're a bit reticent to announce themselves to you... >.>

Precisely. Beginning with that premise tends to create the impression that they will be subject to scrutiny if they step forward. Sure, you might get a few of the bolder ones to step up, but for the most part you'll almost certainly find that they will prefer to avoid the spotlight.

Operating under the assumption that there are none and requesting proof that they are present tends to create an unfriendly atmosphere around the whole issue.

On one hand I think there's probably tons of girls/women playing KSP. I also think that this community in particular would be just as welcoming to a girl as it is to guys. I kinda believe it wouldn't change much about the interactions that already happen.

On the other hand why the hell is the poll open? :x At the very least it could be interpreted as a very lame pick up attempt... Not that I would insinuate that's what the OP was aiming for. As far as I know he's a she and just want's to share experiences or something like that.

Either way I can't imagine a reason why this thread would benefit more from an open poll then it does from the (default) closed poll... It's just bad taste in my opinion.

-snip-

So without ado... are you a girl gamer who plays KSP? (cricket_soundeffect.wav)

The icing for me is in the last sentence actually.

If you openly doubt the existence of a group, don't be surprised if they're a bit reticent to announce themselves to you... >.>

Give it a moment, I would be very sad if this thread did not get a very special announcement (too).

Adding female kerbals is not only to 'appease' female players, I think it will also encourage a lot of them to sign up and start playing.

It adds variety to the clones that stock kerbals are up until now - TextureReplacer!! (although I always imagined the Trio to be a bit younger) - and variety is the reason for me to pick female characters in MMOs, especially if they lack different races (e.g. Elves, Klingons etc.) - although my human sorceress in WoW made me THINK in a girls voice after some hours ... evil witch! :mad:

Edited by KasperVld

So what percentage of female players will make it okay to discriminate against them?

#RhetoricalQuestion

Captain Picard: How many people does it take, Admiral, before it becomes wrong? Hmm? A thousand, fifty thousand, a million? How many people does it take, Admiral?

A lot of them might not pop up and they may be right in feeling they neither have to nor should.

Doing so would be like taking a step forward when a drillhat asks for a volunteer.

Not to mention that one might not want to define themselves to other via their gender.

People play KSP, not men and women.

Seriously, if there is ever a more male-dominated video game in the world, this got to be it. Other games you come across or hear from females even on the forums.

I seriously doubt it. It sounds to me like you think girls don't like KSP because they're not into science, which is a very wrong assumption. So you don't see female players on the forums? Does that say something about the game, the female players, or the forums?

Seriously, if there is ever a more male-dominated video game in the world, this got to be it. Other games you come across or hear from females even on the forums.

There are a lot of women that play KSP. And plenty on the forums that I know of. As I said most don't speak up about it because we're instantly treated differently.

This kind of thread is as old as the forum, and always ended up closed, so I will attempt to keep this thread open for as long as possible.

I am a male player, but I know of a few women/girls/females playing KSP on the forums. (since I do not have friends IRL :()

I would like to put some other words here, but I don't think it's a good idea.

With people like this SedativeChunk on the forums, no wonder women are reluctant to come forward.

My shame at being in this community due to the OP was more than allayed by you guys' responses. There is hope yet!