Do ANY females/girl gamers play KSP?

sedativechunk

Are you a female kerbonaut?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a female kerbonaut?

• Yes
    • No

Well, lets try rephrasing the question: Instead of asking "Do ANY female play the game?" we can simply ask, "Does women exist?"

I can answer with confident, a resounding "yes".

Human are complex, and the gender identity of a person is not sufficient enough to define who they are or what they are interested in. Don't buy into essentialism and reduce half of humanity into a series of preconceptions and stereotypes.

And science doesn't give a damn who you are. If you mess with it, it will explode your rockets, no matter if you are a girl or a guy.

Offcourse there are no females here. For that matter, there are no males either.

Personally, I'm a squid

In all seriousness, what does it matter? Personally, when I interect with someone through a media that makes it impossible to tell gender, I just asume they are gender neutral. Because for the purpose of my interaction with them, they might aswel be

I managed to stir at least partial interest in my playing up to the point that she actually started asking question like 'who are these green guys?', 'why my rockets lose parts in flight?', 'oh, my, what exactly have you built?', 'will it fly?', etc. :D

I am a space merperson. With lazers.

In all seriousness, what does it matter? Personally, when I interect with someone through a media that makes it impossible to tell gender, I just asume they are gender neutral. Because for the purpose of my interaction with them, they might aswel be

This is a good point. Remember, if you don't know, opt to use "They" rather than him or her.

Edited by Tw1

This is a good point. Remember, if you don't know, opt to use "They" rather than him or her.

This is linguistically interesting.

English has (mostly?) gender-neutral nouns and the 3rd person singular pronouns he, she, it.

It also has a gender-neutral pronoun: they (3rd person plural).

German has a feminine variant (often ~in) for (almost?) every noun and the 3rd person singular pronouns er, sie, es.

It has a gender-neutral pronoun: sie (3rd person plural).

Wikipedia tells me:

"... attempts to invent pronouns for this purpose date back to at least 1850, although the use of singular they as a natural gender-neutral pronoun in English is much older."

Although I am unsure if it is grammatically correct to use it as a singular, as I only know it as a plural and the article seems to suggest just that.

Yet:

"If a person is born of a . . . gloomy temper . . . they cannot help it." Chesterfield, Letter to his son (1759);[20] quoted in Fowler's

"Your friends have arrived – they were early"

I am puzzled.

Wikipedia gives another example:

"If anybody comes, tell him." Here the masculine pronoun him refers to a person of unknown

So in German/English:

Wenn der Patient kommt, sag es ihm. / If the patient comes, tell him.

Wenn die Patientin kommt, sag es ihr. / If the patient comes, tell her.

Wenn ein Patient kommt, sag es ihm. / If a patient comes, tell him.

For me as a German it comes natural to call a poster on the forums "he" - because it is a masculine word in German and the gender-neutral form falls back to using the masculine.

The Poster = app. Der Schreiber

(We use lots of English words when it comes to new media: he posted/twittered - er hat gepostet/getwittert)

Curiously I would never write "Look at this flower, she is beautiful." just because Blume is a feminine noun in German, but I learned to not call a person an "it", and I know a flower is an "object".

Edited by KerbMav

Yes, girls play KSP.

yes, i'm one of them.

No, a shared interest in KSP is not really enough to base a close friendship or other personal relationship on.

Aaw, now what am I going to do with this bouquet I built out of rockets :(

I am puzzled.

Wikipedia gives another example:

"If anybody comes, tell him." Here the masculine pronoun him refers to a person of unknown

"He" often was used as the default, but as it refers quite specifically to a male, using it this way is less acceptable nowadays. One of the things that started to change as we worked out we should have gender equality.

In books, they tend to say "he or she", but this is cumbersome. The use of 'they' rather than 'he' is a relatively recent development, and is mostly on the internet, or in circles with high levels of transgender awareness.

Word genders are a really strange concept to english speakers, at least, to ones, who've never studied another language. It's strange when first given a list which sorts inanimate objects, or animal names, into genders, when all these things either don't reproduce, and therefore, seem like they shouldn't logically be gendered...(I studied French.)

"One" is another gender neutral third person, or formal first person singular, but is very formal and old fashioned.

Edited by Tw1

"He" often was used as the default, but as it refers quite specifically to a male, using it this way is less acceptable nowadays. One of the things that started to change as we worked out we should have gender equality.

In books, they tend to say "he or she", but this is cumbersome. The use of 'they' rather than 'he' is a relatively recent development, and is mostly on the internet, or in circles with high levels of transgender awareness.

Word genders are a really strange concept to english speakers,

Be lucky you do not have word genders ...

"Dear citizens" / "Liebe Bürgerinnen und Bürger" - its shorter and its starting to cause silly stuff "Liebe BürgerInnen" ... it looks outright awful ...

"One" is another gender neutral third person, or formal first person singular, but is very formal and old fashioned.

Hm, I always liked to use it instead of "you" in lots of cases in which I am specifically talking to someone but about a general fact.

If you ask the question, "are there any [member of arbitrary subgrouping of humanity] who [do activity]?" the answer will, almost certainly be "yes" for just about any way of filling in those blanks.

Man less than 1 out of 20! Thats.. really discouraging. Its also sad that gals feel intimidated to speak up, but with odds like that I get it. Mainly Id just hope the guys here would really make an effort sometimes to think about how stuff sounds when they say it. This could be a really great game for everyone, and a great community too. I just hope we can be as welcoming and cool as possible to everyone who wants to play and geek out on this stuff.

I'm biologically male, but I identify as an air conditioner.

That said, there are always women playing any given game. They just hide because... well... no one knows. It doesn't matter how many women post on these forums, no one ever sees them because the universe must maintain the stereotype that only guys can game.

Edited by Icarus_Vice