That stutter every x seconds

Interval ranging from ~4 to ~9 seconds, duration a few 100 ms. It might not be so noticeable with stock KSP and/or on a PC well above minimum specs - can it be resolved? I'v gathered it has something to do with garbage collection.

I know i'm not the only one who experiences it, i notice it in KSP youtube videos (both visual and sound - it's actually the reason why i turned off the music in the game), and it has been mentioned before.

It does get rather annoying after a while. Been living with for a few years, i hope i won't have to much longer.

Funny enough, I was just about to complain about this. It doesn't start off so bad, but after a short while, it gets pretty noticeable, and it's driving me crazy. I think it appeared in 0.23.5 or somewhere around there, but that doesn't matter; what matters is fixing it :P

That and the damned right-click bug, but we'll save that for another thread.

Frozen, if it was your antivirus, did you just add KSP to the exceptions list? I may try it if you actually managed to resolve it. Hell, I'll just try it anyway.

I run into this with larger savegames (lots of things on rails in the background). Usually not with a new career. Since I have been playing mostly smaller games, just for testing parts and the like, I'd almost forgotten about this. But yes, when it's happening, it's hugely annoying.

Turned out that it was my antivirus that was doing it.

I tried that, temporarily disabled the virus scanner. Makes no difference.

Also the interval varies in length depending on the physics-delta that the game uses, as indicated by the color of the in-game clock. The interval is longer the higher the physics-delta, which i think indicates the cause is in the game, not external.

With the game running at about 2/3 to 3/4 physics speed, the interval is about 16 seconds. The 9 seconds in mentioned earlier is while driving around KSC, where the game barely slows down at all.

It's not the antivirus. I'm on linux and get it with large part ships. I don't have antivirus because of linux. I've been assuming it's the CPU limitation. It happens when I have large parts and my one CPU core is riding at 100% for a long time and gets worse as I rise up the parts count in VAB. Not sure if it's related to it jumping the 100% core from core to core or not. I have not watched enough. But it does that also. It may not be relevant though. It's either performance issues or some other underlying software issue.

I can't wait to one day be able to use my 1200-2500+ parts ships virtually lag free! 8) Hopefully one day. I have 5 frickin cores to use still. I can do 600 with ease so.... 3600 should not be an issue(and 600 may be a small estimate). Then I get to find out my GPU limit. Does this game even use the GPU?

Phenom II 1100t

560ti (Drivers uncertain. I get alot of driver updates and no difference so I doubt it matters.)

8gb ram

240gb mushkin ssd

Fedora 21 64bit

.9x(current I think) KSP 64 bit with the startup line for C language issue in Steams startup line.

If that helps anyone figure it out.

Edited by Arugela

how do you change the delta time settings? Is that in the settings or something you change manually in a file? My personal settings are as low as the game can get them.

Edit: Found it. In the settings prior to loading any saved games! 8)

Edited by Arugela

I've seen this happen. I have a particular rocket that is fine in "normal" flight, but experiences significant audio "stutter" if I switch to either the orbital map screen or jump into the capsule in IVA mode. As the rocket ascends and parts start falling away, the stutter lessens. It's completely gone by the time I reach orbit.

When testing Nav Utilities I noticed something odd, that stutter happens every 6km. So it's krackensbane recentering the universe. It's an issue with larger ships because every part has to be recentered. At least, that's the most probable answer.

Have you changed your delta time setting? KSP could be trying to do too many physics calculations and causing the stutter that way.

It is as low as it gets: 0.03.

And the stuttering also happens when the ingame clock is green (not yellow/red), it's just less noticeable.

When testing Nav Utilities I noticed something odd, that stutter happens every 6km. So it's krackensbane recentering the universe. It's an issue with larger ships because every part has to be recentered. At least, that's the most probable answer.

I have noticed that to but i think it is a separate issue. I get stutter just driving around KSC. No way my rover travels 6km every few seconds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.