Switching to Linux and Steam Version

I'm planning to switch to Linux (x64 Xubuntu) and I've questions about linux x64 version of KSP.

Currently I own a steam version for Windows, do I need to purchase the Linux version separately?

I run a mod-heavy install and want to know in advance - will I run into compatibility issues after I have migrated?

Is there anything else I need to know before I switched?

I agree with sal_vager. I would do things as follows:

Install Linux.

Install graphics drivers on Linux.

Install Steam.

Install KSP through Steam.

Optionally, copy KSP from the Steam folders to somewhere else.

Install KSP mods.

Copy saves from Windows KSP into Linux KSP.

I did exactly this 2 months ago and have never looked back. I mod like crazy - my current save runs at 8-9GB, but it almost never crashes. The Linux 64bit build really is as good as everyone says.

I'm not convinced by the 'Mint > Ubuntu for beginners' argument. I installed Kubuntu, as a first time Linux user - and I find it very intuitive. I partitioned my disk and kept Windows, but I should not have bothered, because I never use it anymore. In fact I've become a really tedious Linux fanboy; I never stop proselytising

I started using Ubuntu before some of the modern problems with it and privacy. It was fun(Especially when it was more rustic feeling! 8p), but then I moved to Mint found it had similar problems with how they used firefox for funding and then moved to Fedora. the biggest problem I've had with it was the root partition being 50gb by default. Once I reinstalled and set it to 15-16gb(which is very easy with their installer) Haven't had much of a problem since. Wayland doesn't work for me though.

Sadly it doesn't help the cpu issue but it runs really nice on 64bit as far as I can tell besides that. I just make really high part count planes(still learning and experimenting). I did get an update recently that did give a nice general performance boost. Not sure if it was a driver/system update or if it was one of KSPs updates.

I just wish I had alot more ram and could afford to do some other upgrades to my computer.

• 4 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting a dead thread - but I just installed Fedora on a partition on my hard drive to start to learn Linux. I thought it might be fun to install KSP over there to play with, and I am having a hell of a time getting Steam to function on Fedora.|

If you bought the Steam version of KSP, is it possible to download the Linux version from somewhere without the Steam client?

Failing that, does anyone know of a decent step-by-step guide to installing Steam on Fedora?

Do you have an Nvidia card?

If not, the game probably won't run well (or at all) due to the sorry state of the ATI/AMD drivers in Linux.

For Nvidia, as long as you use the propretary driver (the one from Nvidia), it should run just fine...

Stay away from "Nouveau" (Open Source driver for Nvidia cards), it is full of bugs, plus the performance sucks.

I thought it might be fun to install KSP over there to play with, and I am having a hell of a time getting Steam to function on Fedora.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux#Fedora

There's also an active Linux-Thread in the support forum: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92231-The-Linux-Thread

If not, the game probably won't run well (or at all) due to the sorry state of the ATI/AMD drivers in Linux.

It's running fine on my HD 7700.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.