A Sneak Peek at Resources

SQUAD

Can we have a actual mine/ oil drill? :P

the abandoned stock drill, karbonite, kethane drill look like a drill that use in renovation

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/files/2011/11/81705896.jpg

Those two mod's drill can extract something as soon as they touch the ground, I think it even faster than taking blood sample from our arms.

Those valuable substances should located in deep under the surface, the drill should take same time to drill deep enough to extract those substances.

Also the drill should "dock" to surface before it start to work, those two mod's drill can drill the surface on a moving rover, it is crazy....

As someone who works in the industry, I laughed a little at this. Sorry, no offense but that isn't a drill, it's a pump. Don't feel bad though, everyone makes that mistake.

This is a drilling rig.

https://power2switch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/drilling_rig.jpg

As someone who works in the industry, I laughed a little at this. Sorry, no offense but that isn't a drill, it's a pump. Don't feel bad though, everyone makes that mistake.

This is a drilling rig.

https://power2switch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/drilling_rig.jpg

Maybe it's both. This is a game, not real life. Creative license is being exercised.

The picture was not a game, it was a real life rod pump. I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I believe the reason the real life picture was comparing the in-game "drill" part to a real life mining rig. The response was saying that it doesn't have to be exactly the same, as long as it's recognizable. (creative license)

(disclaimer: i haven't been watching this thread closely so i could be wrong)

I believe the reason the real life picture was comparing the in-game "drill" part to a real life mining rig. The response was saying that it doesn't have to be exactly the same, as long as it's recognizable. (creative license)

(disclaimer: i haven't been watching this thread closely so i could be wrong)

I never said it did. I was merely commenting on the picture. He said "Can we have a actual mine/ oil drill?" and then posted a picture of a rod pump which is neither a mine nor a drill.

I'm just happy that a resource version will be stock.

Some ideas:

- Add more biomes (or regions within biomes) so you can have a difference between the north and south pole. Or that the ocean biome is not planet-wide.

- Add a way to weight one end of the biome more then the other by resource, so that the far east end has a 10% concentration and the far west end is only a 2% concentration.

I dislike those drills. There should be a spinning jenny and a turntable that is fed pipe from a snail drum via automated power tongs so there isn't a drill length issue. Adding/tripping pipe would just be a loop until the drill bit hits whatever total depth is determined by the game. And instead of a well cap an arm could just lock onto the pipe head and a little pump could suck whatever out of the ground. And there should be a little control platform requiring a kerbal to man it. Or kerbal it. I'm not sure what the correct verb would be. But it should require a Kerbal... perhaps specifically an Engineer to act as driller?

Maybe I should make an actual model and post it in the Suggestions forum for people to mock. :P

Oh, and a drill that folds/tips back 90° for storage so we can mount drills in cargo bays.

Over-analysis of the drill structure aside, some of us have been griping that there's little reason for our Kerbals to ever go EVA aside from science bumps. I'd love more EVA interactions for the Kerbals, and the drills would be a good start.

As it is they're just another kind of science part, which are dull as dirt right now.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.