Build the biggest airplane (that can land)

I love that last one.

After seeing this thread I thought I'd give a pencil-o-plane a go. I was really impressed with how this thing flew actually.

Not really holding a candle to how big some are here, though.

I like the over head wing design, that should help with wing tips hitting the ground on landing and take offs I seem to get a lot:(.

SO after something like 12+ hours I can hopefully say I have the biggest plane to ever fly the Kerbal skys. THE BIG (1 AFFAA) The letters at the end indicate which model this is, there was easily 60+ failed attempts at this thing working. This plane is CRAZY! The wing span has to be "1,000 meters+" wide? looking at the little Kerbals in the space station makes me think each one is like a jumbo jet wing and there are 10 (wide) on either side of the fuselage! The wings were the tricky part, easily overshadowing the largest and heaviest plane body I've ever seen, the wings generate so much lift yet produce so much leverage at either end that having them simply not fall off a the beginning of each runway start was harder then keeping them on when I actually took off. In order to hold it together the plane is extremely slow and does nothing in a hurry, it takes off at 66 m/s and flies at 78m/s, takes over 10 minutes to do a 180, "never had the opportunity though, simply turned for 5 minutes and landed on the cost." lands at 35 m/s I have no idea how high it will fly it's so slow that I'll have to figure that out later. The plane lands reasonably well, except for the fact that the wings will happly fall off if they encounter a small hill or variation of elevated land, which is highly probable considering how much land they cover while landing. Eventually I'll find a flat and long enough landing patch to not lose the wings.

70% of this plane is struts and cables!

1510.jpg

Wing span compensating for something?

1610.jpg

All those derbies in the back are the wings after hitting a small hill.

2010.jpg

1810.jpg

@Hammer Bridges: Nice, you have a place on the leaderbord.

@foamyesque: Not follow the rules, please read the rules first.

@TouhouTorpedo: Nice plane, only not big enough for the leaderbords.

I read the rules. That picture's a year old. :P

The runway didn't exist at that time and I don't have any pictures of it landing, sadly. Do have one of it in flight:

KSP%20-%20Jumbo%20Ultralight.png

I don't think there's any reason to bother trying to pass it onto the leaderboards... Is a large plane, though.

The challenge is: Build the biggest airplane (that can land).

And there are rules, if I will remove them, the whole leaderbord will be not right.

Anyway...

After seeing the size of some of the entries here, I don't know why I even tried; but this is my largest plane - Eyclasa;

8090947546_1f1c274536.jpg

8090943494_2d4e6113a8.jpg

8090941074_d24758f3d5.jpg

8090937714_2890b580a6.jpg

8090930719_93244fcd21.jpg

8090929033_5a79c53dc8.jpg

8090931520_c74336ef55.jpg

8090926713_b691cf275e.jpg

8090926633_f1eddd239e.jpg

Maby not as big as some other but still a realy good looking plane! how does it handle in air?

Here my 3th entry:

screenshot31o.png

screenshot38.png

screenshot40j.png

I cann't make it bigger, my computer cann't handel to big planes :(.

Interesting design! :) My computer dont like alot of wings and just parts that "go into each other" try make a plane with lesser parts that just go into each other and see if you comp can handle that! :)

Maby not as big as some other but still a realy good looking plane! how does it handle in air?

It handles pretty well; although that's only from 2-ish minutes of flying. I spent more time trying to fly the four-engined predecessor, which seems to have problems with lower thrust levels.

EDIT: Started a successor to it following the same design principal.

8094494632_64327ee30b.jpg

Don't plan on pressing that green button with a rocket on it anytime soon...

Edited by Nooblet68

No first place? If I may inquire as to how I don't have the largest plane? It's the tallest,

and widest, I will say it is shorter then Nuclear_Hamster's plane but not by as much as it's

wing span is wider then 1st and 2nd place. Diio's plane seems to extend from the end of the (60)

to just past the start of the lines, while my plane is probably about 30% longer while wing span wise

is about 6.2x wider then the runway which is also 6.2x wider then Diio's, as for height..

well it's quite a bit taller obviously:rolleyes:

I apologize for my overly competitive spirit, but.. I'm overly competitive:).

No first place? If I may inquire as to how I don't have the largest plane? It's the tallest,

and widest, I will say it is shorter then Nuclear_Hamster's plane but not by as much as it's

wing span is wider then 1st and 2nd place. Diio's plane seems to extend from the end of the (60)

to just past the start of the lines, while my plane is probably about 30% longer while wing span wise

is about 6.2x wider then the runway which is also 6.2x wider then Diio's, as for height..

well it's quite a bit taller obviously:rolleyes:

I apologize for my overly competitive spirit, but.. I'm overly competitive:).

It accrued to me that perhaps you just didn’t accept my largest plane and instead took my second largest plane because my largest plane‘s landed shot showed it with it’s wings smashed off due to my poor landing attempt, thus disqualifying it. That would make a lot of sense and is fair, so here is an actual landing of my largest plane with zero damage and all wing and parts intact:)

2810.jpg

2710.jpg

3010.jpg

:cool:

3710.jpg

Edited by Hammer Bridges
space ship pad

Hammer: Dont know if you "need" to start from the landing strip and not the rocket platform? thats the only thing i can think of ??

impressive plane tho :) also the 2 place hoders plane is longer then mine but maby its the area m^2 that hes after ? if you know what meen?

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.