[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

Hi there!

You're probably trying to texture it using RSS. Don't do that!

Use Kopernicus to texture the scaled space and normal map, and KT to texture it's color and height maps.

Using RSS settings you mean?

I have really no idea how to use Kopernicus to texture the SS textures.

When I add a Scaled Space config to my clone planet file, the game does not load the planet anymore.

Also weird shadows (not the sun, the shadows :P)

vL4fGKD.png

Edited by pozine

Using RSS settings you mean?

I have really no idea how to use Kopernicus to texture the SS textures.

When I add a Scaled Space config to my clone planet file, the game does not load the planet anymore.

Also weird shadows (not the sun, the shadows :P)

http://i.imgur.com/vL4fGKD.png

Ah, this is easily fixed, you need to pud your scaled space (Pretty sure thats what it is) you need to give it a 50% trancparency. If you convert all of your textures to a DDS format, it automaticly does it for you

Ah, this is easily fixed, you need to pud your scaled space (Pretty sure thats what it is) you need to give it a 50% trancparency. If you convert all of your textures to a DDS format, it automaticly does it for you

Uhhh Why?

There are two ways to add Scaled Space to KSP.

In the RSS cfg.

In a dedicated cfg file (planet clone).

Which one is the correct way to do it in RSS? Neither?

Edited by pozine

nOTEgC9.jpg

Work on the biomes for Ice is coming along nicely....

Is it possible to adds the blurbs yet? Meaning, if you took a soil sample (are soil samples possible), we could have a custom description for the experiment?

EUREKA! It works!!!!

sorry for the confusion, but glad that you got it to work! I meant to say you need to make the scaled space texture (which I think is also the map texture) at 50% transparency, and that fixed the 90degree offset for lighting and what-not!

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible to adds the blurbs yet? Meaning, if you took a soil sample (are soil samples possible), we could have a custom description for the experiment?

Yes it is, you need to define them in your science.cfg file, with the science experiment being "EVAsurfaceSample" or something like that, you can give them a custom blurb, and I think you might even be able to make multiples, and that would look something like this (I dont' know exactly what it looks like, but you can look at configs for Stock biomes and get a better example):

{
@Ice
[BiomeID]
EVASurfaceSample= Hmm, the ground here is cold, it might make a good coolant for the rocket!
EVASurfaceSample= After many requests, Mission Control continues to say that taking your helmet off to lick the ground would be a very bad idea
EVASurfaceSample= As you study the material, you here a very scary sounding crack coming from your lander, and decide staying any longer would be a bad idea
}
}
}

Something along those lines, and when you do the surface sample, it should randomly choose one of those reports to display. Don't take my word for it, nor copy what I wrote (unless you like the blurbs, then you can take those and use them however you want :3) I still suggest looking at the default science.cfg file thing that comes with the stock game!

Edited by Drakoflame

sorry for the confusion, but glad that you got it to work! I meant to say you need to make the scaled space texture (which I think is also the map texture) at 50% transparency, and that fixed the 90degree offset for lighting and what-not!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is, you need to define them in your science.cfg file, with the science experiment being "EVAsurfaceSample" or something like that, you can give them a custom blurb, and I think you might even be able to make multiples, and that would look something like this (I dont' know exactly what it looks like, but you can look at configs for Stock biomes and get a better example):

{
@Ice
[BiomeID]
EVASurfaceSample= Hmm, the ground here is cold, it might make a good coolant for the rocket!
EVASurfaceSample= After many requests, Mission Control continues to say that taking your helmet off to lick the ground would be a very bad idea
EVASurfaceSample= As you study the material, you here a very scary sounding crack coming from your lander, and decide staying any longer would be a bad idea
}
}
}

Something along those lines, and when you do the surface sample, it should randomly choose one of those reports to display. Don't take my word for it, nor copy what I wrote (unless you like the blurbs, then you can take those and use them however you want :3) I still suggest looking at the default science.cfg file thing that comes with the stock game!

Hmm can a science.cfg go anywhere? Also how can I find my biome id?

edit: Lovely photo I got of Porp just now

ZbHt6kj.png

Edited by Lillz

So this is weird.... I'm getting an issue where the ocean on ice seems to break near the north pole.... The height map is definitely low enough there so this doesn't make sense.... anyone know whats up?

j2AFgaD.jpg

Okay, I just thought about something to explain the orbits of the stars that is WAY more plausible than companions or StarSystems:

You see, up until the 1600s-ish, Copernicus' theory had a slight twist: The stars also orbited the Sun in far-away orbits.

This was perfectly plausible at the time, considering that they knew more distant objects moved more slowly.

Therefore, what if Kerbals never really understood that they orbit a galactic center? That would be a perfect explanation!

Nice idea. Though you can have a perfectly modern-physics-friendly interpretation too. As long as other star systems had realistically sized SOIs you can just make a case that Kerbol is the reference frame in the Kerbals' universe. Other stars rotating about an imaginary galactic center, in this reference frame, seem to be orbiting Kerbin. (if you ignore the skybox stars, which remain stationary).

Think of it like this. You're sitting on a Ferris wheel (the galaxy). Your chair represents Kerbol. It always faces up. Now someone tied a fishing pole to the wheel's structure next to your chair, not to your chair, so it always points outwards (or in some other direction, it doesn't matter as long as it is rotating with the wheel and not with your chair). At the top of the wheel the end of the fishing pole (other star) would be above you, and at the bottom of the wheel it would be below you. The only thing you need to do is mod all of the stars' orbital periods around Kerbol to be the same, so the constellation keeps its shape. The orbital period of all the stars represents the rotational period of the whole galaxy.

Edited by sdj64

My mod already does it, so check that out to see how its done. The science descriptions are in the OPM folder.

Hmm can a science.cfg go anywhere? Also how can I find my biome id?

edit: Lovely photo I got of Porp just now

http://i.imgur.com/ZbHt6kj.png

Okay, I just checked in Squads folder, the science thing is really called ScienceDefs.cfg, and it goes into a folder called Resources. as for the layout of an EVA surface sample, it looks like this:

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION

{

id = surfaceSample

title = Surface Sample

baseValue = 30

scienceCap = 40

dataScale = 1

requireAtmosphere = False

situationMask = 3

biomeMask = 3

requiredExperimentLevel = 0.5

RESULTS

{

IceLanded[name of the biome] = Hmm, the ground here is cold, it might make a good coolant for the rocket!

IceLanded[name of the biome] = After many requests, Mission Control continues to say that taking your helmet off to lick the ground would be a very bad idea

IceLanded[name of the biome] = As you study the material, you here a very scary sounding crack coming from your lander, and decide staying any longer would be a bad idea

Now, as for the SituationMask, biomeMask, and requiredExperimentLevel, I don't know what those are, you'll have to ask someone (Like anyone else who has successfully made a planet)

but thats basically set it up, and replace the [name of the biome] with the biome that is on Ice that your making the blurb for!

Okay, I just checked in Squads folder, the science thing is really called ScienceDefs.cfg, and it goes into a folder called Resources. as for the layout of an EVA surface sample, it looks like this:

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION

{

id = surfaceSample

title = Surface Sample

baseValue = 30

scienceCap = 40

dataScale = 1

requireAtmosphere = False

situationMask = 3

biomeMask = 3

requiredExperimentLevel = 0.5

RESULTS

{

IceLanded[name of the biome] = Hmm, the ground here is cold, it might make a good coolant for the rocket!

IceLanded[name of the biome] = After many requests, Mission Control continues to say that taking your helmet off to lick the ground would be a very bad idea

IceLanded[name of the biome] = As you study the material, you here a very scary sounding crack coming from your lander, and decide staying any longer would be a bad idea

Now, as for the SituationMask, biomeMask, and requiredExperimentLevel, I don't know what those are, you'll have to ask someone (Like anyone else who has successfully made a planet)

but thats basically set it up, and replace the [name of the biome] with the biome that is on Ice that your making the blurb for!

Configs with science defs in them don't need to be in a folder called Resources and the cfg can be called anything. And IceLanded is not correct as far as I know. It should be IceSrfLanded.

The situation and biomemask refer to the situations in which experiments work and if they're biome specific or not. For an overview how that is set up for the stock experiments: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science#Possible_combinations_of_Activity.2C_Situation.2C_and_Biome

Ah, thanks CaptRobau, I didn't know, I was only going by what I could easily see by looking into pre-made files! You know more than I do about making science things like that xnx

I myself am still trying to figure out what exactly I'm going to do with my mod, I know for sure I want it to be heavily based on probes, so that the science will have full return values!

Nah :( sadly it does not even work. Shadows are still at 90degres It's so disapointing

Nah :( sadly it does not even work. Shadows are still at 90degres It's so disapointing

Your map texture and scaledspace map texture should be fully opaque. It's your normal map texture you need to make transparent. Just start with any old normal map and use Kittopia's "Update Scaledspace" in game with the export button checked to generate a good normal map. Then replace your old normal map with that one.

Your map texture and scaledspace map texture should be fully opaque. It's your normal map texture you need to make transparent. Just start with any old normal map and use Kittopia's "Update Scaledspace" in game with the export button checked to generate a good normal map. Then replace your old normal map with that one.

Yap. I've actually decided I don't really like the way Kittopia exports height and normal maps.... i think they're better straight out of SE. I just then set the normal map to 50% opacity in PS. After that i play around with PQS offset to make the height map not be too crazy.

I have a huge problem here guys, and it's preventing me from getting my Odysseus pack ready for public download. You see, Penelope's ocean are not high enough, so naturally I either increase the PQS radius of the ocean or decrease the PQS radius of Penelope itself, either I have found to work. However, once I save my changes in KittopiaTech and upon restarting the game, Penelope all of a sudden will not load terrain, as if it is stuck in Scaled Space. When I try to land Penelope vanishes, like when you're trying to land on Jool and the gas giant's texture disappears as you get closer.

Also, this isn't exclusive to changing the ocean or terrain, it involves any changes I make in Kittopia whatsoever. What am I doing wrong?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks it worked. In what folder is the export created?

Edited by pozine