[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

I have no clue, I'm afraid. :( It's weird that it's happening to you, because I've never noticed that glitch on any of my planets before.

It's not really a glitch, stock bodies even have it... I mostly notice it on asteroid bodies, but I also know certain pqs settings can have a positive effect on it, I'm just not sure which ones :P

Huh! Never knew that.

Yah if you land at the exact north pole of the mun you can see a good example of it

Depending on your settings your bodies might have a noticeable one too, if you land at their north poles

I have a huge problem here guys, and it's preventing me from getting my Odysseus pack ready for public download. You see, Penelope's ocean are not high enough, so naturally I either increase the PQS radius of the ocean or decrease the PQS radius of Penelope itself, either I have found to work. However, once I save my changes in KittopiaTech and upon restarting the game, Penelope all of a sudden will not load terrain, as if it is stuck in Scaled Space. When I try to land Penelope vanishes, like when you're trying to land on Jool and the gas giant's texture disappears as you get closer.

Also, this isn't exclusive to changing the ocean or terrain, it involves any changes I make in Kittopia whatsoever. What am I doing wrong?

http://imgur.com/a/B8wOB

You cannot change the radius of the ocean pqs to offset the height. The ocean pqs and the planet pqs need to be the same. If you want a deeper ocean you need to use a heightmap and play with the offset.

You cannot change the radius of the ocean pqs to offset the height. The ocean pqs and the planet pqs need to be the same. If you want a deeper ocean you need to use a heightmap and play with the offset.

Okay then, I'll try that. Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Wait, where can I find the offset option? I didn't realize I didn't know that until I posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, does anyone know how to oblate a planet in KT? Is that even possible? I could've sworn I once saw a post about that, but this thread has gotten so large I can't find it.

Edited by Thomas988

Okay then, I'll try that. Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Wait, where can I find the offset option? I didn't realize I didn't know that until I posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, does anyone know how to oblate a planet in KT? Is that even possible? I could've sworn I once saw a post about that, but this thread has gotten so large I can't find it.

As far as I know there is no PQS oblate. You could maybe make an oblate effect by playing with the height map in an image editor. Add a semi-transparent layer with a gradient that is white in the middle and black at the top and bottom, then flatten the image down. (this is just hypothetical, I have no idea if it would work)

You absolutely can't oblate an ocean planet or an atmospheric planet, since those are both spherical. And if your height map is mountainous, you might want to lower the contrast on it before adding the gradient layer, and increasing the HeightMapDeformity a lot to make up for it.

Krag made a bit of code for PlanetFactory that would make planets oblate, but it isn't a PQS and it isn't in KopernicusTech.

To offset a heightmap in Kittopia:

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

heightMap = GameData/TerrestrialPlanetPack/Textures/Cantor_height.png

heightMapDeformity = 5000

heightMapOffset = 300

scaleDeformityByRadius = False

}

As far as I know there is no PQS oblate. You could maybe make an oblate effect by playing with the height map in an image editor. Add a semi-transparent layer with a gradient that is white in the middle and black at the top and bottom, then flatten the image down. (this is just hypothetical, I have no idea if it would work)

You absolutely can't oblate an ocean planet or an atmospheric planet, since those are both spherical. And if your height map is mountainous, you might want to lower the contrast on it before adding the gradient layer, and increasing the HeightMapDeformity a lot to make up for it.

Krag made a bit of code for PlanetFactory that would make planets oblate, but it isn't a PQS and it isn't in KopernicusTech.

To offset a heightmap in Kittopia:

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

heightMap = GameData/TerrestrialPlanetPack/Textures/Cantor_height.png

heightMapDeformity = 5000

heightMapOffset = 300

scaleDeformityByRadius = False

}

Thanks again for the reply! It's a little late for planet-making now, so hopefully I can give these things a go tomorrow. :)

Hi there!

Okay, I just thought about something to explain the orbits of the stars that is WAY more plausible than companions or StarSystems:

You see, up until the 1600s-ish, Copernicus' theory had a slight twist: The stars also orbited the Sun in far-away orbits.

This was perfectly plausible at the time, considering that they knew more distant objects moved more slowly.

Therefore, what if Kerbals never really understood that they orbit a galactic center? That would be a perfect explanation!

I have a few question about your Stella expansion pack. Does Stella produce its own light? Can that light power solar panels. When around Stella, is Kerbol's light visible? Finally, how can I make Stella work with the newer KopernicusTech? I've tried it, but it seems that the plugin doesn't recognize the format used by Stella. When I try it, it doesn't show up and the other planets I've added in also cease to show up. Help is much appreciated. Thanks.

I have a few question about your Stella expansion pack. Does Stella produce its own light? Can that light power solar panels. When around Stella, is Kerbol's light visible? Finally, how can I make Stella work with the newer KopernicusTech? I've tried it, but it seems that the plugin doesn't recognize the format used by Stella. When I try it, it doesn't show up and the other planets I've added in also cease to show up. Help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, Stella produces it's own light.Yes, it powers solar panels.No, Kerbol light is not visible.The reason why Stella doesn't work and your other planets as well is because they requires Kopernicus Core, not KopernicusTech.Kopernicus Core has been defunct since KopernicusTech came in.

This isn't entirely accurate actually. There is a PQSMod_VertexHeightOblate and offset, however the changes will not take effect in scaledspace. So it's not really usable, but it does indeed exist and you can see the changes if you play around with it.

Now with that out of the way, I want to give some teaser screenshots of something I'v been working on.

1gKFHQ1.png

YjEwIU2.png

If you can't tell by the screenshots, this is a planet using Vall as a template. I have changed the color through landclasses, and even more noteworthy you will notice the obvious craters. Yes that means I have PQSMod_VoronoiCraters working. Still have some work to do, but when I'm done I'll send a pull request to Gravitasi so he can incorporate my changes in the .dll for everyone to use.

For those who don't know what landclasses are, Vall for example uses a HeightColorMap mod, which uses landclasses to supply color. You can specify a color and height range for each color, and then it colors the terrain accordingly. This means you only need a heightmap and not a full color texture.

Edited by Borisbee

Yes, Stella produces it's own light.Yes, it powers solar panels.No, Kerbol light is not visible.The reason why Stella doesn't work and your other planets as well is because they requires Kopernicus Core, not KopernicusTech.Kopernicus Core has been defunct since KopernicusTech came in.

Thank you. Is there some way to jury rig Stella to work with KopernicusTech? If not, is there another pack that provides the same functionality but with KopernicusTech? If not, is there a way I can create a new star that does all the things Stella did?

Thank you. Is there some way to jury rig Stella to work with KopernicusTech? If not, is there another pack that provides the same functionality but with KopernicusTech? If not, is there a way I can create a new star that does all the things Stella did?

I'm the developer of Stella, by the way.

You can't really make stars with KopernicusTech right now for some reason, they cause Kopernicus to not load. And for the record, they don't power solar panels. I'll bring back Stella along with it's sister Lavinia when making actual stars is possible again.

However, you can make a Jool-templated gas giant, resize it to star size, and give it BetterAtmospheres sun effects and starfix.

You can download the Kirius pack if you want a new star (It does the idea specified above), I'm helping with it. Link is in the "My Mods" link in my sig.

Edited by _Augustus_

I'm the developer of Stella, by the way.

You can't really make stars with KopernicusTech right now for some reason, they cause Kopernicus to not load. And for the record, they don't power solar panels. I'll bring back Stella along with it's sister Lavinia when making actual stars is possible again.

However, you can make a Jool-templated gas giant, resize it to star size, and give it BetterAtmospheres sun effects and starfix.

You can download the Kirius pack if you want a new star (It does the idea specified above), I'm helping with it. Link is in the "My Mods" link in my sig.

Does it do the same things as Stella such as producing light that can power panels, and obscuring Kerbol's light when within its SOI? If so then that's perfect. Thanks much.

Does it do the same things as Stella such as producing light that can power panels, and obscuring Kerbol's light when within its SOI? If so then that's perfect. Thanks much.

It obscure's Kerbol's light, though starfix does not yet work with solar panels. Use RTGS for power.

It obscure's Kerbol's light, though starfix does not yet work with solar panels. Use RTGS for power.

What I'll do then is create a gas giant which produces light and say it's a failed star that got far enough to produce visible light, but not far enough to produce light capable of powering panels.

Now with that out of the way, I want to give some teaser screenshots of something I'v been working on.

http://i.imgur.com/1gKFHQ1.png

http://i.imgur.com/YjEwIU2.png

If you can't tell by the screenshots, this is a planet using Vall as a template. I have changed the color through landclasses, and even more noteworthy you will notice the obvious craters. Yes that means I have PQSMod_VoronoiCraters working. Still have some work to do, but when I'm done I'll send a pull request to Gravitasi so he can incorporate my changes in the .dll for everyone to use.

For those who don't know what landclasses are, Vall for example uses a HeightColorMap mod, which uses landclasses to supply color. You can specify a color and height range for each color, and then it colors the terrain accordingly. This means you only need a heightmap and not a full color texture.

Nice! Thanks a lot for this... I'll wait for the pull request. :) By the way, sorry that you have to fix the VoronoiCraters bug yourself; I have some other important stuffs to do lately.

Borisbee, any observations about RAM usage when using the voronoi craters pqsmod? I believe I once read somewhere RSS related that the two had a somewhat troublesome relationship, so I would be curious to know! And amazing work btw, glad to see so much done with Kopernicus!

Whenever I use any planet expansion pack with KopernicusTech, all my active contracts disappear, and any contracts I accept later disappear as soon as I enter the VAB e.g. Outer Planets, I accepted one to Explore Tekto, enter VAB, all contracts gone.

Nice! Thanks a lot for this... I'll wait for the pull request. :) By the way, sorry that you have to fix the VoronoiCraters bug yourself; I have some other important stuffs to do lately.

Np, been kind of fun. It might be a little while before I'm ready as things are going slow since I'm still learning how everything works and this is my first time writing ksp code, but progress is being made.

- - - Updated - - -

Borisbee, any observations about RAM usage when using the voronoi craters pqsmod? I believe I once read somewhere RSS related that the two had a somewhat troublesome relationship, so I would be curious to know! And amazing work btw, glad to see so much done with Kopernicus!

I haven't really checked, but there shouldn't be any huge ram increases as long as you stay reasonable with them. I'll check into it.

Whenever I use any planet expansion pack with KopernicusTech, all my active contracts disappear, and any contracts I accept later disappear as soon as I enter the VAB e.g. Outer Planets, I accepted one to Explore Tekto, enter VAB, all contracts gone.

I actually don't have that issue.

I'm trying to create a Ice Giant, Colas, and I have the size, texture and orbit down, I can't seem to be able to fix the atmosphere. Look here:

BbcxP9k.png

As you can see there's that thick light green line (And little light blue line under it), which looks really ugly. I'm trying to make it light(ish) pink, like the rest of the planet. So what am I doing wrong?

bqZkWUF.png

From a higher orbit, it looks like what is above.

Oh, I also noticed that there doesn't seem to be that "Haze" along the circumference of the planet:

UdvbxY8.png

There should be a pink "haze" along the circumference/perimeter, which there doesn't seem to be.

Compare it to this:

Jool.jpg

You can see the "haze", and you can also see that there isn't a "haze" on my Colas.

Also, here's my KittopiaTech cfg:

// CustomData

PlanetColas
{
AdditionalData
{
Stock = False
AddAtmoFx = False
AtmoWaveColour = RGBA(1.000, 0.046, 0.649, 0.000)
AddOceanFx = False
OceanLoadTextures = False
UnlitOcean = False
ModScaledAtmoShader = True
AddRings = False
AddParticles = False
DisableOrbitRenderer = False
}
Orbit
{
semiMajorAxis = 45100000000
eccentricity = 0.0534
inclination = 1
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
LAN = 184
RefBody = Sun
orbitColor = RGBA(0.990, 0.000, 0.396, 1.000)
}
CelestialBody
{
bodyName = Colas
bodyDescription = The ice giant orbiting between Jool and Duna.
GeeASL = 0.699999988079071
Radius = 5000000
Mass = 2.57229543117159E+24
gravParameter = 171674997076392
sphereOfInfluence = 1319589888
hillSphere = 2250237952
gMagnitudeAtCenter = 171674997076392
use_The_InName = False
isHomeWorld = False
ocean = False
atmosphere = True
staticPressureASL = 1
atmosphereScaleHeight = 10
atmosphereContainsOxygen = False
maxAtmosphereAltitude = 200000
altitudeMultiplier = 1
altitudeOffset = 0
atmoshpereTemperatureMultiplier = 5
useLegacyAtmosphere = True
atmosphereMultiplier = 15
pressureMultiplier = 0
rotates = True
rotationPeriod = 36000
solarRotationPeriod = False
initialRotation = 0
rotationAngle = 6.63399999999687
directRotAngle = -230.622591015626
tidallyLocked = False
inverseRotation = False
inverseRotThresholdAltitude = 1000000
angularV = 0.000174532925199433
atmosphericAmbientColor = RGBA(1.000, 0.483, 0.681, 1.000)
}
PQS
{
}
}

So, what's causing my problems?

Thanks in advance for helping!

I'm trying to create a Ice Giant, Colas, and I have the size, texture and orbit down, I can't seem to be able to fix the atmosphere. Look here:

http://i.imgur.com/BbcxP9k.png

As you can see there's that thick light green line (And little light blue line under it), which looks really ugly. I'm trying to make it light(ish) pink, like the rest of the planet. So what am I doing wrong?

http://i.imgur.com/bqZkWUF.png

From a higher orbit, it looks like what is above.

Oh, I also noticed that there doesn't seem to be that "Haze" along the circumference of the planet:

http://i.imgur.com/UdvbxY8.png

There should be a pink "haze" along the circumference/perimeter, which there doesn't seem to be.

Compare it to this:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/w/images/0/03/Jool.jpg

You can see the "haze", and you can also see that there isn't a "haze" on my Colas.

Also, here's my KittopiaTech cfg:

// CustomData

PlanetColas
{
AdditionalData
{
Stock = False
AddAtmoFx = False
AtmoWaveColour = RGBA(1.000, 0.046, 0.649, 0.000)
AddOceanFx = False
OceanLoadTextures = False
UnlitOcean = False
ModScaledAtmoShader = True
AddRings = False
AddParticles = False
DisableOrbitRenderer = False
}
Orbit
{
semiMajorAxis = 45100000000
eccentricity = 0.0534
inclination = 1
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
LAN = 184
RefBody = Sun
orbitColor = RGBA(0.990, 0.000, 0.396, 1.000)
}
CelestialBody
{
bodyName = Colas
bodyDescription = The ice giant orbiting between Jool and Duna.
GeeASL = 0.699999988079071
Radius = 5000000
Mass = 2.57229543117159E+24
gravParameter = 171674997076392
sphereOfInfluence = 1319589888
hillSphere = 2250237952
gMagnitudeAtCenter = 171674997076392
use_The_InName = False
isHomeWorld = False
ocean = False
atmosphere = True
staticPressureASL = 1
atmosphereScaleHeight = 10
atmosphereContainsOxygen = False
maxAtmosphereAltitude = 200000
altitudeMultiplier = 1
altitudeOffset = 0
atmoshpereTemperatureMultiplier = 5
useLegacyAtmosphere = True
atmosphereMultiplier = 15
pressureMultiplier = 0
rotates = True
rotationPeriod = 36000
solarRotationPeriod = False
initialRotation = 0
rotationAngle = 6.63399999999687
directRotAngle = -230.622591015626
tidallyLocked = False
inverseRotation = False
inverseRotThresholdAltitude = 1000000
angularV = 0.000174532925199433
atmosphericAmbientColor = RGBA(1.000, 0.483, 0.681, 1.000)
}
PQS
{
}
}

So, what's causing my problems?

Thanks in advance for helping!

I had this same problem. Those rgb numbers for atmosphere color aren't a straigh 0 to 1 255 value.... It's like 1/color^4 or something. Best way to get the right numbers is to load the game and go to low orbit/land on the body and open the atmosphere settings editor in Kittopia and play with the sliders till you have what you want. After that, copy the numbers and put them in your config.

Edited by Lillz