[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

Hmmm... If I remember correctly, I tried doing that, but it had no effect. But, I'll try again in the morning.

There's two atmosphere settings in Kittopia you can play with, one with more noticeable of an effect. The first is at the bottom of CB settings. This is ambient light, which is the same kind of idea as planet shine. It just casts a light on objects landed on the planet. This is the not very noticeable one. The second is under atmosphere fx settings -- It's called wavecolour. This is the one you want to play with.

It worked!

http://i.imgur.com/owOFEbw.png

It turns out, that the little colored graphic KittopiaTech displays under the sliders has NOTHING to do with the actual color you'll see in game. Odd.

Yes it is very odd. Clearly the three sliders have some sort of rgb input, but also the values closer to 0 yield a much brighter color.

Has there been any progress yet in fixing the way a ring's inclination is handled with respect to the parent planet and the moons around it? I made a post a while ago in this thread regarding the issue but no one commented on it in any way.

My idea was to essentially get the rings to act as an orbiting object, with a modifiable longitude of ascending node so that they are always oriented in the same direction as the matching moons on a planet.

Hi it seems i can not figure out this mod the coding is a little confusing compared to what i did with planet factory i know you start out with

@Kopernicus
{
Body

but i can get one planet in but when i try to add another neither planets load in

// Jupiter
// By: TheBlackDwarf

@Kopernicus
{
Body
{
name = Jupiter
flightGlobalsIndex = 1700
Template
{
name = Jool
}
Properties
{
description =
radius = 122000
geeASL = 0.1464
tidallyLocked = False
rotationPeriod = 118918
ScienceValues
{
flyingLowDataValue = 10
flyingHighDataValue = 9.5
inSpaceLowDataValue = 9
inSpaceHighDataValue = 8.5
recoveryValue = 9
flyingAltitudeThreshold = 275000
spaceAltitudeThreshold = 3500000
}
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Sol
inclination = 22
eccentricity = 0.00559999980032444
semiMajorAxis = 3007165184
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 21
argumentOfPeriapsis = 2
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 3
epoch = 4
color = 0.275, 0.472, 0.781, 0.775
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Sol/Textures/Jupiter_map
}
}
}
Body
{
name = IO
flightGlobalsIndex = 450
Template
{
name = Gilly
}
Properties
{
description =
radius = 8000000
geeASL = 2.2
tidallyLocked = False
rotationPeriod = 55754
initialRotation = 30
ScienceValues
{
}
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Sol
inclination = 3.5
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 1300000
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
color = 0.35,0.325,0.3,1.0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Sol/Textures/IO_map
}
}
}

Any suggestions ? , i am using the latest version of Kopernicus Tech

Hi it seems i can not figure out this mod the coding is a little confusing compared to what i did with planet factory i know you start out with

@Kopernicus
{
Body

but i can get one planet in but when i try to add another neither planets load in

// Jupiter
// By: TheBlackDwarf

@Kopernicus
{
Body
{
name = Jupiter
flightGlobalsIndex = 1700
Template
{
name = Jool
}
Properties
{
description =
radius = 122000
geeASL = 0.1464
tidallyLocked = False
rotationPeriod = 118918
ScienceValues
{
flyingLowDataValue = 10
flyingHighDataValue = 9.5
inSpaceLowDataValue = 9
inSpaceHighDataValue = 8.5
recoveryValue = 9
flyingAltitudeThreshold = 275000
spaceAltitudeThreshold = 3500000
}
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Sol
inclination = 22
eccentricity = 0.00559999980032444
semiMajorAxis = 3007165184
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 21
argumentOfPeriapsis = 2
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 3
epoch = 4
color = 0.275, 0.472, 0.781, 0.775
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Sol/Textures/Jupiter_map
}
}
}
Body
{
name = IO
flightGlobalsIndex = 450
Template
{
name = Gilly
}
Properties
{
description =
radius = 8000000
geeASL = 2.2
tidallyLocked = False
rotationPeriod = 55754
initialRotation = 30
ScienceValues
{
}
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Sol
inclination = 3.5
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 1300000
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
color = 0.35,0.325,0.3,1.0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Sol/Textures/IO_map
}
}
}

Any suggestions ? , i am using the latest version of Kopernicus Tech

If that is your complete config file, you're missing a closing } bracket at the very end to close @Kopernicus. I recommend using a text editor like Notepad++ to edit config files. You can select a bracket and it will highlight the matching bracket so you can keep track of silly mistakes like this really easy. Also you need to specify a description, you left it blank and it doesn't like that.

Edited by Borisbee

I've been wondering the same thing, too. I haven't been able to get my planets to look like anything more than a sphere.

Yah, and it's weird cause the first time I exported with Kittopia in 8k, the map view looked awesome but I can't figure out how to get it to look so good again...

Yah, and it's weird cause the first time I exported with Kittopia in 8k, the map view looked awesome but I can't figure out how to get it to look so good again...

Yeah, that was really awesome. I even spent two days trying to create 8K planets because of your post! :)

Time for another teaser.

MQt7DQb.png

That's a pretty large Oblate applied to that planet just so the effects are clearly seen for testing purposes, and yet it still shows up in map view. This is done using just PQS mod and no heightmap editing. I got curious as to whether the old Planetfactory mods would work with scaled export so I added PQSMod_PFOblate into kittopia and tried it. It seems to work as the picture shows. There are a few side effects of using this, although nothing serious, but I wanted to have the option of using them so if nothing else I can recreate the planets Ablate and Inaccessible from PF.

Every day I mess with this stuff I learn something new, and it's giving me more and more ideas and things to fix in the current code.

What are the drawbacks? And could PM me the code. It might be useful for my Ovok.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been wondering the same thing, too. I haven't been able to get my planets to look like anything more than a sphere.

The map view for large planets is solely determined by the color map and the normal map. If you export in the Kittopia window it adds all the Kittopia settings to the height map and also makes a normal map of that, which is rough and set too high contrast. You can recreate the look by taking the height map and making a normal map out of that and replacing the version that you had before in your Kopernicus or whatever folder you have your Kopernicus stuff in.

What are the drawbacks? And could PM me the code. It might be useful for my Ovok.

Unfortunately there's more testing I have to do. There are some issues that make it unplayable that I was not aware of when I posted the image. The problem is it lowers/raises the vertices of the planet and so you end up hitting "sealevel" before you actually touch the surface which makes you go "inside" the planet. I'll see if I can work it out later, but that's on the backburner for now as there's more important stuff to work on.

- - - Updated - - -

The map view for large planets is solely determined by the color map and the normal map. If you export in the Kittopia window it adds all the Kittopia settings to the height map and also makes a normal map of that, which is rough and set too high contrast. You can recreate the look by taking the height map and making a normal map out of that and replacing the version that you had before in your Kopernicus or whatever folder you have your Kopernicus stuff in.

Right, but there was some setting in PQS that made the map view look a lot better than the one's I'm getting now. Maybe it was the height offset? The planet Thomas and I are talking about had an offset of 10500, so maybe that's why it looked so good in map view....

well, on Io you should have included a normal map under the "testure =" field. Also, the reference body is Sun not Sol.

you don't actually need a normal map, and the reference body is Sun because his mod obviously deals with our solar system and he added a "Sun" object. The real issue is he did not include descriptions for the planets. By leaving it blank it causes it to not load. If you don't want a description it's best to just not include the Description field at all so that the template description is used instead.

I started a wiki (couple days ago, but didn't had time yet) that will give information about all the planets in the Kerbol System.

By this I ask if the planet creators can add their own planets (I'll have a template for it later this day), if you don't have time, I'll add them for them.