[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

Hey Eudae! Have you tried the new update of Kopernicus? I've already managed to make a star system with it! Still needs testing trough... Also, no Kittopia!!!1 link to the star system: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114374-0-90-heavy-WIP-Interstellar-Adventure-a-journey-to-distant-stars?p=1813219#post1813219

No I haven't seen the update yet. CaptRobau will surely be made aware of it soon enough so I'll let him make the decision on that. My work on OPM is on hold until June/July while I'm tackling some big projects IRL. I still lurk on the forums obviously if you or anyone has any questions that I can help with.

Guys, this mod has been rendered obsolete now! Tekno has made a new beta of Kopernicus that allows for 100% custom planets.

Please, don't jump the gun. We need to make sure the new Kopernicus is working at least as well as the old Kittopia based PQS, and to give time for planet packs to be updated. This mod is not obsolete until the main planet packs no longer support it.

To make some things clear: Kopernicus PQS is in a very very alpha stage, it allows just 5-6 Mods yet. Also, its just a beta, and there can be still bugs. I But because Tekno and I will finish the PQSMods soon , I wouldn't start or continue the development of planets made with KopernicusTech, because you can't use your Kittopa configs in Kopernicus. ;)

Obviously! Anyway, since I only worked with PQSMod_Height and PQSMod_VertexHeightMap and PQSMod_ColorMap I won' the have any big problems with the still limited Kopernicus mods... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Please, don't jump the gun. We need to make sure the new Kopernicus is working at least as well as the old Kittopia based PQS, and to give time for planet packs to be updated. This mod is not obsolete until the main planet packs no longer support it.

Do my packs count as "main"? Because I already started experimenting with porting Kerbol Plus to Kopernicus... It will be ready in about a weak and a half.

A new Kopernicus ... Aah - and I just figured out how to take the ugly 'default texture' off of Laythe in Kittopia so that I can put my height map without horrid distortions. I have an almost completely flat and smooth planet now - except it does have a slight ghost of the islands of Laythe - just trying to get rid of that now, but at least it doesn't have the horrid 'thousand-lakes-in-distorted-craters-with-ridgeline-hills' look anymore.

Guys, this mod has been rendered obsolete now! Tekno has made a new beta of Kopernicus that allows for 100% custom planets.

Until Kopernicus adds an ingame UI for editing PQS components, this mod remains relevant. And the particle system thingy in KittopiaTech has yet to be integrated into Kopernicus, so that's one more reason this mod is still relevant.

Don't demoralise Gravitasi with sayings like that, as he is the only person to ever show an interest, and skill, in continuing my plugin.

Until Kopernicus adds an ingame UI for editing PQS components, this mod remains relevant. And the particle system thingy in KittopiaTech has yet to be integrated into Kopernicus, so that's one more reason this mod is still relevant.

Don't demoralise Gravitasi with sayings like that, as he is the only person to ever show an interest, and skill, in continuing my plugin.

The pastor has spoken! All rise!

Does anyone know how to change the surface pattern - you know - like the pattern on the surface of Mun or the little sand dunes of Laythe or the mountains texture of Kerbin, or the grassland texture?

Its really weird - my surface pattern was 'Mun', but when I added PQSMod_AltitudeAlpha and set it as my atmosphere altitude, suddenly the surface changed to 'little Laythe sand dunes'.

Edited by michaelmozzienz

@KCreator, et al. :

Thanks for the support guys! :)

I have to agree with KCreator's argument, so guess I should develop the plugin a little bit more... But, I think I have to change the development priority more on things that could be potentially added to Kopernicus later on.

Just got some interesting ideas this morning; I will try to test them out in some following days from now. :) I hope it's possible...

Edit: Nevermind... It's working, but some people have proposed it already.

Edited by Gravitasi

Would it be possible for the fix for KSC recovery being 900 somthing Km away being at least added to this version of kopernicus. I know kopernicus will eventually overtake this, but while we wait for kopernicus to be finished and all the KT pack to be converted it would be great to have that fix. IF it would be too much work to integrate feel free to ignore the request no hard feelings. Thanks!

When stars are in kopernicus with colors and stuff I had a idea Wheres there one object called 'Universe' and 'Kerbal' and 'Kandromeda' and you guessed it Galaxys Just an Idea we could have things like Superclusters galactic groups ect It would probably eat the ram until there is no ram left. when there Is star support I guess I could attempt this.

When stars are in kopernicus with colors and stuff I had a idea Wheres there one object called 'Universe' and 'Kerbal' and 'Kandromeda' and you guessed it Galaxys Just an Idea we could have things like Superclusters galactic groups ect It would probably eat the ram until there is no ram left. when there Is star support I guess I could attempt this.

I while back Daniel L. and I exchanged ideas about creating an actual image of a galaxy disk in the Kerbal universe. Then we would have other stars orbiting around the central black hole of this galaxy and players could not only go interstellar but in proper visual style. You could look up at the night sky, see the galactic band, and actually go there!

We came to the quick solution that this galactic disk would be created using EVE, but neither of us knew just how to get it to oblate into a disk instead of the sphere it does by default.

Hi guys, I have a (maybe silly) question.

How do I create new stars?

The changelog says it should be working, but I have no idea how.

Do they have to orbit the Kerbol? Or do I leave the Kerbol be as a "central" star, then create a few others to orbit it and change all stock planets to orbit the new stars? Some time ago I had the StarSystems installed and there the star-creation was really easy, but I'm completely lost here.

As per the OP instructions, I checked some example packs, but they don't include new stars, only planets.

If you have some experience with this, please share your secrets with me. Working examples would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, I have a (maybe silly) question.

How do I create new stars?

The changelog says it should be working, but I have no idea how.

Do they have to orbit the Kerbol? Or do I leave the Kerbol be as a "central" star, then create a few others to orbit it and change all stock planets to orbit the new stars? Some time ago I had the StarSystems installed and there the star-creation was really easy, but I'm completely lost here.

As per the OP instructions, I checked some example packs, but they don't include new stars, only planets.

If you have some experience with this, please share your secrets with me. Working examples would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Create a file with the name of your star and change it's extension to .cfg

Then open your file with a basic text editor (Notepad or somethin'), then copy and paste this in:

@Kopernicus
{
Body
{
name = Your star name
flightGlobalsIndex = 4794 // delete this and type in any number but not too large.But if you will make a pack and release it, make sure this number does not conflict with other packs, make it unique.
Template
{
name = Sun // leave this as it is
}
Properties
{
description = Description. //delete this and type in something about your star, this will appear in the Tracking Station info.
geeASL = 1.746 // the star's gravity.Kerbol(The sun) is 1.746.If your star is larger than the in-game Sun, make it's gravity lower to be able to still fly in the Kerbol system.
tidallyLocked = False // self-explanatory, assuming you know what tidal locking is...
rotationPeriod = 115643 // the amount of time it takes your star to rotate once around it's axis.You must write it in seconds.1 day is 86400 seconds.
initialRotation = 180 // don't know what this does, leave it
timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 8000 8000 25000 40000 80000 160000 250000 //time warp restrictions at certain altitudes, 1x, 5x, 10x, 50x, 100x, 1000x, 10000x, 100000x
ScienceValues
{
}
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Sun // leave this as it is
inclination = 0 // self-explanatory
eccentricity = 0 // self-explanatory
semiMajorAxis = 946052840000 // distance in meters from your the Sun to your star, note every real life light year is 10000x smaller in-game.This is 1 light year in-game
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0 // change this unless you know what you are doing, but i recommend you leave it at 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0 // change this unless you know what you are doing, but i recommend you leave it at 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0 // I don't really know what this does, i usually set it to 3.14, but the decision is up to you, but i think it's best you leave it at 0.
epoch = 0 // don't know what this does, leave it.
color = 0.910,0.761,0.278,0.525 // the orbit line color in-game, RGBA colors.
}
}
}

Now run the game and go to the tracking station.Zoom out until you see your star's orbit.Focus on it and open the Kittopia menu by pressing Ctrl+P.

Select your star's name under 'Planet Selection'.Once you did, scroll down and click the 'Modify Starlight Data' button.Once you did, below click the button 'Add Starfix To:'

Once you did, you will have 4 options: Flare Color, Light Color, Emit Color and Spot Color.

Flare color determines the color of the light your star will emit.Light color is practically the same option as flare color, don't touch it.

Emit color determines the color of the star itself.And spot color determines the color of the star's surface and the color of it's sunspots, however, the sunspots will remain black and unchangeable.

If you click on every option, you will see 4 sliders on each option.Now here you can have fun.Moving these sliders changes the colors of you star, play around with all 3 options until you are satisfied.Once you are, click 'Save Data' in the kittopia menu.

Anyways, glad you asked xfrankie! I hope this little tutorial helped you.

Can I use the star fix to edit the color of kerbol?

That's just what I was going to ask! I'm interested, because I want to turn Kerbol into a black hole and add another star with all stock planets around it as well as other real life inspired systems. Google Interstellar Adventure to find my previous alpha Kopernicus pure star systems mod.

That's just what I was going to ask! I'm interested, because I want to turn Kerbol into a black hole and add another star with all stock planets around it as well as other real life inspired systems. Google Interstellar Adventure to find my previous alpha Kopernicus pure star systems mod.

I want a pure white kerbol like BA, but hopefully better compatibility with resized solar sys.

Can somebody help me? When i update the scaled space on my planet Bruno (Bruno's template is laythe) I gain laythe's ocean, too. How can i fix this?

Is the ocean showing up when the terrain loads? The only time oceans have showed up in my scaled space exports is when there are oceans visible. If you want to raise or lower the terrain, I suggest using the offset variable.