[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

Would you mind posting the Kittopia code before testing it ingame? We can't make out your file path from that wall of text... did you checked if the textures are the same format as the ones you (suposely) provided in the code?
In Kittopia you probably specified an invalid texture, probably because you forgot the file extension.

The file extensions and paths are fine, I checked those beforehand.

vertexColorMap = (MapSO) and heightMap = (MapSO) is likely your problem.

Remember when you save a planet config from kittopia you need to edit the file and add back in the path to you textures. Also you can make the config more readable by removing entirely things that you don't change, such as PQSMod_OceanFX, PQSMod_RemoveQuadMap, PQSMod_UVPlanetRelativePosition, PQSMod_AerialPerspectiveMaterial, ect.

Hmm, I'll get to investigating.

Owersome! now, would you mind sharing with me the configs and the _map texture? I am also developing an oceanic moon for my pack but oceans don't seem to appear even if the configs are not different from the ones from OPM or OP+!

My kittopia config:

// CustomData

PlanetPandora
{
AdditionalData
{
Stock = False
AddAtmoFx = False
AtmoWaveColour = RGBA(0.700, 0.400, 0.400, 0.000)
AddOceanFx = False
OceanLoadTextures = False
UnlitOcean = False
ModScaledAtmoShader = True
AddRings = False
AddParticles = False
DisableOrbitRenderer = False
}

CelestialBody
{
atmosphere = True
staticPressureASL = 2
atmosphereScaleHeight = 6
atmosphereContainsOxygen = True
maxAtmosphereAltitude = 85000
altitudeMultiplier = 1.4285
altitudeOffset = 0
atmoshpereTemperatureMultiplier = -3
useLegacyAtmosphere = True
atmosphereMultiplier = 2
pressureMultiplier = 2
rotates = True
rotationPeriod = 32400
atmosphericAmbientColor = RGBA(0.300, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000)
}
PQS
{

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
heightMap = GameData/Kopernicus/Textures/Pandora_height.png
heightMapDeformity = -110
heightMapOffset = -4999
scaleDeformityByRadius = False
modEnabled = True
order = 100
Parent = Pandora
}
PQSMod_VertexColorMap
{
vertexColorMap = GameData/Kopernicus/Textures/Pandora_map.png
modEnabled = True
order = 100
Parent = Pandora
}
}
}

My Kopernicus config:

Body    {
name = Pandora
flightGlobalsIndex = 602
Template
{
name = Laythe
}
Properties
{
radius = 2110000
geeASL = 0.91
description = Pandora
ScienceValues
{
landedDataValue = 0
splashedDataValue = 0
flyingLowDataValue = 0
flyingHighDataValue = 0
inSpaceLowDataValue = 3
inSpaceHighDataValue = 2
recoveryValue = 5
}
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Nemesis
inclination = -2
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 400000000
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 52
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
color = 0.0,0.8,0.8
}
Atmosphere
{
ScaleHeight = 6
ContainsOxygen = False
maxAltitude = 85000
Multiplier = 2.1
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = Kopernicus/Textures/Pandora_map
normals = Kopernicus/Textures/Pandora_normal
rimPower = 1.0
rimBlend = 0.8
}
}

Edited by Artyomka15

Hey guys, what's the average image size for planet textures? I've been messing with 10K textures just by myself, but I've been wanting to create a new planet pack lately and 10K is far too large (just one planet can make the game crash!).

You don't need that large of textures. In fact I'v noticed with smaller bodies larger textures actually make things look worse. Larger size does not equal better quality. You will get much better quality if you actually take the time to edit your heightmap so that things are smoother instead of getting jagged points from where space engine throws tiny dots of white all over the place.

You should not ever need to go larger than 8k, while 4k is the "standard". However I've had good results using 1k and even 512. It's really about how well you understand what you're doing.

As to your ocean problem, perhaps you should post your configs instead? Would be a lot easier to troubleshoot than just saying "help it doesn't work".

So uh, i'm creating an object, and when i try to land or even enter orbit around it, it looks like Minmus, except more rocky?

Here's it's Kittopia CFG.

//CustomData

PlanetFloe

{

AdditionalData

{

Stock = False

AddAtmoFx = False

AddOceanFx = False

OceanLoadTextures = False

UnlitOcean = False

ModScaledAtmoShader = False

AddRings = False

AddParticles = False

DisableOrbitRenderer = False

}

PQS

{

PQSMod_HeightColorMap

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSCity

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

heightMap = GameData/SylandrosGasGiants/Textures/Floe_height.png

heightMapDeformity = 2500

heightMapOffset = 0

scaleDeformityByRadius = False

}

PQSMod_VertexColorMap

{

modEnabled = true

vertexColorMap = GameData/SylandrosGasGiants/Textures/Floe_map.png

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeight

{

seed = 957

deformity = 300

octaves = 8

persistence = 0.5

frequency = 12

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute

{

seed = 811

deformity = 100

octaves = 3

persistence = 0.5

frequency = 0.8

}

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightMap

{

modEnabled = False

}

PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight

{

modEnabled = False

}

}

}

And it's Kopernicus CFG.

Body

{

name = Floe

flightGlobalsIndex = 200

Template

{

name = Minmus

}

Properties

{

description = Floe is a small, icy moon of Gepitu. Good for interplanetary ski trips, although the Kerbal Interplanetary Vacation Society highly discourages this, though. But Jeb encourages it!

radius = 98500

geeASL = 0.23

rotationPeriod = 12952

}

Orbit

{

referenceBody = Gepitu

color = 0,0.895,1.045

inclination = 3.14

eccentricity = 0.015

semiMajorAxis = 77850000

longitudeOfAscendingNode = 67

argumentOfPeriapsis = 50

meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 96

epoch = 0

}

ScaledVersion

{

Material

{

texture = SylandrosGasGiants/Textures/Floe_map

normals = SylandrosGasGiants/Textures/Floe_normal

}

}

}

}

Hey guys, what's the average image size for planet textures? I've been messing with 10K textures just by myself, but I've been wanting to create a new planet pack lately and 10K is far too large (just one planet can make the game crash!).

I've had a look at the stock planets and their textures and it has some great ideas for making stuff look great:

Planets/moons with oceans have normal and color maps at 4K. A 4K color map is useful to get the coastline to look good

Large and medium planets/moons without oceans with have color maps at 2K, but normal maps at 4K. The 4K normal makes the planet look detailed in map view

Small planets/moons have color maps at 1K, but normal maps at 2K. Same story as the one above, but because they're smaller they don't need 2K/4K textures to look good

Gas giants don't need normals and can look good with 1K/2K color maps, depending on the detail of its gas clouds

Thank you mate also, how to make my ocean planet textures 4k? I allready think thay are at 2048x pixels...

- - - Updated - - -

So uh, i'm creating an object, and when i try to land or even enter orbit around it, it looks like Minmus, except more rocky?

Here's it's Kittopia CFG.

And it's Kopernicus CFG.

Well, make sure the texture format is matching with the paths In Kittopia. O no longer have your planet... nlw the only thing bugging me is that ocean planet!

I've had a look at the stock planets and their textures and it has some great ideas for making stuff look great:

Planets/moons with oceans have normal and color maps at 4K. A 4K color map is useful to get the coastline to look good

Large and medium planets/moons without oceans with have color maps at 2K, but normal maps at 4K. The 4K normal makes the planet look detailed in map view

Small planets/moons have color maps at 1K, but normal maps at 2K. Same story as the one above, but because they're smaller they don't need 2K/4K textures to look good

Gas giants don't need normals and can look good with 1K/2K color maps, depending on the detail of its gas clouds

Thanks for the feedback, CaptRobau! Working with huge files get tiring after a while. :)

Oh good, I was going to see about tackling that myself so glad I didn't start on it hehe.

Yeah... I had to fix it before you did, so I would not need to make another apology post. :P

Nice info, thanks! :)

By the way, how did you check out the textures of the stock planets?

What did you typed in the "targed body in Kittopia for the particles? I made a comet too when I was forking on OP+ with Augustus. I basicaly made a phantom body, pitch black, 200 meters radius, 0 gravity, almost invisible orbit that was made so that the "phantom body" would orbit the same time as the comet so if the comet was orbiting close to sun, the phantom body would be opposed from the comet so the particles would allways point out from the Sun.

Unforcenately the idea was scrapped by Augustus and so after some trubbles we had with each other I am curently not active on developing the new OP+. Now I work alone on my stand alone Kerbol+ that will add more planets to Kerbol based on Nova's old plans, unlike OPM that aims to add kerbalised IRL analogs.

Gravitasi, it's been a month since the last update! Please release 0.122 or 0.13 (which ever version is next).

I'm getting so impatient!

I would be careful what you say, its comments like this that put a lot of pressure on me, and the sheer pressure (Including a lot of other factors) of maintaining my plugin caused me to give up.

If you want updates quickly, you could always learn C#, fork the project, and help.

I would be careful what you say, its comments like this that put a lot of pressure on me, and the sheer pressure (Including a lot of other factors) of maintaining my plugin caused me to give up.

If you want updates quickly, you could always learn C#, fork the project, and help.

Couldn't agree more

I am working in using KT to replace RSS for resizing the stock solar system. The issue I am having now is I've doubled the radius of kerbin, but KSC is almost underwater the beach has moved up right near the runway. I am looking for help to modify the terrain to better match stock right now it is flattened by the increase radius. Here a link to my thread to keep this one on topic. Thank you.

Edited by Svm420

Hello i am working on recreating the Sol System in ksp and i am wondering if there is a way to make a star with kopernicus because everytime i try it crashes my game or the system does not show up ( i am useing jool right now as a temperary replacement for sol )

link : https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/571/The%20Sol%20Project

//Sol System
// By: TheBlackDwarf

@Kopernicus
{
Body
{
name = Sol
flightGlobalsIndex = 750
Template
{
name = Jool