[1.0.x] Trans-Keptunian - Outer dwarf planet pack (v0.4 - 06/07/15)

Gravitasi

...A long, epic journey to distant planets...

Descriptions

This plugin adds some outer dwarf planets to the Kerbol system. Each of the dwarf planets is analogue of the real world dwarf planets (e.g. Pluto, Eris). Currently, there are 4 new dwarf planets and 5 new moons to explore.

These planets are very distant and quite challenging to reach; gravity assist is a must for a more efficient journey.

Expect missions that span for decades!

This is the Kopernicus version of Trans-Keptunian Planet Pack. For the PlanetFactory CE version, please go here instead.

Preview

KottabosGames's review for the planet pack (v0.1) (thanks for the review!):

Plugin Goals

Stockalikeness is always been the main goal of this plugin. I take this matter VERY seriously, since I'm a hardcore stock player myself. I never wish to make a planet pack that seems detached from existing planets. So, eventually, the planet pack will have all feature that stock planets have. Some of them are (but not limited to):

• Stockalike descriptions (full of Kerbal silliness, and with paragraphs)
  • Stockalike biome conventions (Highlands, Lowlands, Poles, etc.)
  • Stockalike science blurbs
  • etc.... and of course, some Easter eggs. ;-)

Realism is good; I will, and have added, some aspect of realism on the pack. But, stockalikeness always comes first.

Downloads

Trans-Keptunian Planet Pack for Kopernicus (v0.4) [Download]

Unofficial update by Borisbee (featuring ALL biomes!) [Download] (still needs the main pack above)

• Downloading tips: Close/ignore the Dropbox registration dialog, and proceed with the download.
  • The plugin redistributes Kopernicus, which includes ModuleManager. [Link]

Changelog

Changelog
---------

v0.4
7 Jun 2015
- Updated Kopernicus to version 0.0.7.
- Updated ModuleManager to version 2.6.3.
- Removed KopernicusTech & DDSLoader from the downloads; they are no longer needed.
- Added biome to Dhar.
- Readjusted science multiplier, to make it in line with multiplier on stock planets.

v0.3
26 Mar 2015
- Added support for Outer Planets Mod.
- Improved Rheis terrain quality.
- Fixed Flo terrain height map.
- Added ingame descriptions for Putto, Dhar, and Rheis.
- Adjusted fade limits of all the bodies.
- Put all KittopiaTech config files on a subfolder.
- Updated KopernicusTech to version 0.13.

v0.21
19 Feb 2015
- Fixed Arane terrain height map.

v0.2
11 Feb 2015
- Changed Putto significantly; it has a new texture and terrain.
- DDS texture format is now used.
- Changed directories placement; to comply with Kopernicus standard.
- Improved Dhar surface; its terrain is less spiky now.
- Nuu is no longer tidally locked to Arane.
- Changed Rheis orbit visibility range.
- Updated science altitude limit for all of the bodies.

v0.1
31 Jan 2015
- Initial release.

To-Dos

• Some terrain reworks.
  • Coloring with landclasses instead of textures.
  • Custom ground textures (if necessary).
  • Adding (stock-feel) descriptions to all bodies.
  • Adding custom science definitions.
  • Adding biomes.
  • ...suggestions are always welcome!

Credits

• Developer of SpaceEngine, from which all of the planets on this pack are based.
  • Kragrathea, for making PlanetFactory CE. Some configs on the pack are based from it.
  • CaptRobau, for making Outer Planets Mod, which I used as preliminary study.
  • _Augustus_, for giving me the idea for Putto's description.
  • sarbian, for developing DDSLoader.

Licenses

Edited by Gravitasi

Glad to see this has been ported to a better platform, and even better to see that you made some changes to the existing plugins. I think these are pretty damn good planets and I'll be sure to use them in my next career. First Outerplanets, now this. I'm still patiently waiting for someone to come out with some well done atmospheric planets.

Not sure your stance on CKAN, but would be pretty nice if you could add support for it.

Edited by Borisbee

These are actually low-res. Stock planets are generally 4k, this pack is 2k.

Are you one of those people with a potato for a computer or something?

I was thinking, and maybe you get the jet black planets because you use the stock kittopia dll and not the modified , are you?

Glad to see this has been ported to a better platform, and even better to see that you made some changes to the existing plugins. I think these are pretty damn good planets and I'll be sure to use them in my next career. First Outerplanets, now this. I'm still patiently waiting for someone to come out with some well done atmospheric planets.

Not sure your stance on CKAN, but would be pretty nice if you could add support for it.

Thank you. For CKAN, I have heard about it, but I still have no idea what it is... (I'm not really active on the forum :D) I'll look into it later.

Could you tell me where did you get this information? I always wonder about texture resolution used on stock planets...

Could you tell me where did you get this information? I always wonder about texture resolution used on stock planets...

Only planet I found that was 4K was Kerbin. Others have 2K resolutions and some even have only 1K. Squad can do more with those resolutions though, as they know the system better and have direct access. So they can make 4K resolutions feel like 8K and so on.

Only planet I found that was 4K was Kerbin. Others have 2K resolutions and some even have only 1K. Squad can do more with those resolutions though, as they know the system better and have direct access. So they can make 4K resolutions feel like 8K and so on.

I see... Thanks for the information!

Are you one of those people with a potato for a computer or something?

Nope... It was a question because the Outer Planets Mod had them. Just was curious about it as a possibility.

Nope... It was a question because the Outer Planets Mod had them. Just was curious about it as a possibility.

Hmm... I'll consider it. But first, I have to check whether there are any technical problems if lower texture resolutions are used.

Two Questions:

1) Does this work with OPM?

2) Ever considered a Sedna analog? With a highly eccentric orbit but still really far out?

This mod is really great by the way, I orbited Oorma awhile ago when it was in PlanetFactory CE, but Planetfactory used up a ton of RAM. Going to reinstall not that it has Kopernicus.

Two Questions:

2) Ever considered a Sedna analog? With a highly eccentric orbit but still really far out?

This mod is really great by the way, I orbited Oorma awhile ago when it was in PlanetFactory CE, but Planetfactory used up a ton of RAM. Going to reinstall not that it has Kopernicus.

Flo is the Sedna analog, and no it does not because OPM uses a different Kopernicus version.

What do you mean support for OPM? As in make them orbit the gas giants instead?

I think he meant that I should move all of the planet orbit to somewhere beyond Neidon, just like in real life (so we will have a complete solar system analogue). In case you don't realize it, all of the planets on the pack are actually real-life analogues to the four plutoids:

Putto → Pluto

Oorma → Haumea

Arane → Makemake

Flo → Eris

Two Questions:

1. It will work, but not now... We have to wait until OPM team update KopernicusTech to latest version, which I believe will happen in the next release.

2. It was planned on the initial release of PF:CE version, but I remembered there was some technical difficulties, so I decided to drop it altogether... I think I will try to add it again in the future.

Thank you, but I honestly believe that there are still a lot of things that needs to be done. :)

Edited by Gravitasi

I think he meant that I should move all of the planet orbit to somewhere beyond Neidon, just like in real life (so we will have a complete solar system analogue). In case you don't realize it, all of the planets on the pack are actually real-life analogues to the four plutoids:

Putto → Pluto

Oorma → Haumea

Arane → Makemake

Flo → Eris

1. It will work, but not now... We have to wait until OPM team update KopernicusTech to latest version, which I believe will happen in the next release.

2. It was planned on the initial release of PF:CE version, but I remembered there was some technical difficulties, so I decided to drop it altogether... I think I will try to add it again in the future.

Thank you, but I honestly believe that there are still a lot of things that needs to be done. :)

I would say that maybe you should make a separate config for OPM that you include in the zip.

Putto → Pluto

Oorma → Haumea

Arane → Makemake

Flo → Eris

Ah, yea I didn't realize that. I'm not too worried about having things match up with real life bodies. As long as planets look cool and have interesting features I'm happy.

I'd still like for someone to create our solar system planets for kopernicus. I never bothered with RSS because I don't like the x10 scale of the planets. Makes them really flat and boring, and the kerbin scale config didn't seem to work too well.