[1.0.x] Trans-Keptunian - Outer dwarf planet pack (v0.4 - 06/07/15)

Gravitasi

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Just thought I would hop in and say I been workin the last last week almost getting a system designed for my resource KSP SIM; these planets/moons will be in it for the most part (!); I had to delete and move several of them for various reasons; I did the same for the OPM/OP+/OPM+ as there were some incompatibilities using vearious versions of Kopernicus...

I will let ya'll know I am using OPM1.7/OP+1.6 and had to port in OPM+ planets/moons as it's version of Kopernicus was incompatible; it took me several days and nights to figure all this out; the TK planets/moons here ported in nicely...but...

All planets/moons seem to have an issue where PQS data is not being loaded (all planet packs for Kopernicus); missing PQS map files etc...incompatible dds files; it is a bit of a mess; I also tried to port in Planet Factory planets/moons - ALL FAIL (due to incompatible dds files - I think). Also I need to do a test or 2 in career mode as those errors may have to do with that...

Now tonite after I look at things some more I need to land on everything to make sure I can do that as some planets/moons just werent there (only in map mode not ship mode); all of your planets/moons ported over nice I just didnt check them all for landability; I am checking the ones I am keeping tonite: Es, Dhar (now orbits Kerbin !!), Nuu, Oorma (maybe), Phoe, Putto which will get a name change and go around Sarnus, and Rheis which is now a special...ya Rheis is special !

Cmdr Zeta

Trans-Keptunian v0.3 has been released!

TqduP1P.jpg

Here are some important changes on the update:

Outer Planets Mod support

This plugin is now officially support Outer Planets Mod! If you have OPM installed, all of the planets will be adjusted automatically. Here are some things that will be changed:

• Orbital distance will be increased (to beyond Neidon), so they will serve as analogues of the four plutoids (Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris).
  • Science multipliers will be adjusted. The adjustment is consistent with multiplier changes made by OPM.

Rheis improvements

Its terrain is more detailed and less pixelated now. There are probably some more improvements that I will add in the future, but, for now, I'm pretty satisfied with the current result. Terrain improvements outside Putto system soon follow.

Fade limit adjustments

There is something on the pack that has bugged me for a very long time: the planets look horrible if they are being seen from orbit. But the problem is no more; since fade limits for all the bodies have been adjusted.

Ingame planet descriptions

The update adds some descriptions for bodies on Putto system. Since stockalikeness is the main goal of the pack, I tried to make the descriptions as stockalike as possible. Btw, thanks to _Augustus_ for giving me some ideas for Putto's description.

Here's the complete changes from changelog:

v0.3
26 Mar 2015
- Added support for Outer Planets Mod.
- Improved Rheis terrain quality.
- Fixed Flo terrain height map.
- Added ingame descriptions for Putto, Dhar, and Rheis.
- Adjusted fade limits of all the bodies.
- Put all KittopiaTech config files on a subfolder.
- Updated KopernicusTech to version 0.13.

Download it here.

Have fun! :)

P.S. Oh, I almost forgot. If you have the previous version installed, please delete all KittopiaTech config files for the planets on the pack in "KittopiaSpace\SaveLoad" folder. All config files now reside in "KittopiaSpace\SaveLoad\Trans-Keptunian".

- - - Updated - - -

I assume Nuu was named for the sound various kerbals made as they missed it?

Haha, not bad... It's quite funny. :D

Actually, the name was derived from "new", since it's a recently discovered moon of Arane. FYI, Arane's real life analogue, Makemake, has no known moons so far.

Edited by Gravitasi

Before I go ahead and replace OPM+ with this, can you tell me what you did with Plock and Putto in Outer Planets? Being that they're both Pluto analogs, did you move Putto or Plock or do they occupy similar orbits?

The config on the plugin doesn't change Plock at all; even more, it doesn't change any properties that planets on OPM has. It only adjusts SMA of the Trans-Keptunian planets.

Both Plock and Putto occupy similar orbits (Pluto-like). Fortunately, they have different inclination and LAN (in other words, both are inclined in different direction). Therefore, they are different enough in terms of orbital properties, so there's no reason to change any of them.

Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker, so the previous paragraph may be unclear for you. I think it's best to use a picture instead:

TqduP1P.jpg

The dark grey one is Plock's orbit, and the yellow one is Putto's.

This looks like an awesome mod, but it will obviously be really hard to actually get to any of those outer planets without KSP Interstellar or Near Future. I went ahead and installed it anyway, in the off chance I can actually get that far out!

Keep up the good work!

Good Brother
This looks like an awesome mod, but it will obviously be really hard to actually get to any of those outer planets without KSP Interstellar or Near Future. I went ahead and installed it anyway, in the off chance I can actually get that far out!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! :)

Actually, it's not really as hard as you may think. I have successfully reached the planets with only stock parts numerous times (and sometimes with return trip as well). The key is using gravity assist to change your orbital inclination, and consequently, to save some fuel.

Typically, you need around 3000+ of delta-V from low Kerbin orbit to get an encounter with one of them (using Jool/Eve to change the inclination). I believe it could be lower, since I'm not really an expert on doing gravity assist myself. After that, you need around 1000+ dV for orbital insertion.

Once you get yourself into orbit around the planet, the whole system is yours.:wink: Because of their weak gravity, delta-v requirement to explore the system (landing, moon transfer, etc) is relatively low. So, you can do basically anything you want without too much effort.

Edited by Gravitasi

Hey can anyone tell me what the memory footprint of this mod is?

Regretfully I had to remove OPM because its large memory footprint, which made my KSP hit its ram limit too soon with other mods installed.

But I do like to have a lightweight planetary bodies mod, which adds some proto planets to the stock system and this mod seems like a good contender :)

Edit: just went ahead for a test, really like what it adds! The only con for me is, regretfully, the same as with OPM. Thus I will pass untill KSP improves enough on the memory management department.

Edited by Gkirmathal

Nice planets, these dont seem like some copies of stock ones when it comes o shape.

And have nice colours.

Thanks!

would it be possible to have regular texture images for those using ATM? Having DDSLoader seems a bit redundant

To be honest, I'm not really sure about it, since the texture loading procedure was taken straight from RSS, which always use DDSLoader AFAIK.

I guess the developer of Sigma Mod Expansions already have answered your question. :)

May i ask you?

When the new horizons will make it into Pluto's SOI and make nice photos of Pluto, will you change the the texture acordinngly to the photos?

Take inspiration from the photos: probably. Simply replace the texture with the real one: very unlikely, since Squad themselves didn't use textures of the Solar System planets (or care to make them realistic) in the first place.

Edit: just went ahead for a test, really like what it adds! The only con for me is, regretfully, the same as with OPM. Thus I will pass untill KSP improves enough on the memory management department.

Thank you. That's alright... :)

• 3 weeks later...
Is there a non-dropbox download link (Git, KerbalStuff, Curse, etc.)? I don't want to register any accounts anywhere to download, always hated that.

You don't need to register to the site in order to download AFAIK. Simply select cancel, and you can proceed with the download.

Btw, I'm sorry, the site wasn't behaving like this a few months ago (showing us a popup for registration). I'll consider using another file hosting service in the future.

Works for 1.0

Good to know! :)

I love this mod for OPM compatibility - do you know how its working with new version of OPM (1.7)?

Sorry, I don't think it's compatible, since both use different version of Kopernicus (the OPM one is more up-to-date). I have to update the planet pack in order to make them compatible again.

Sorry, I don't think it's compatible, since both use different version of Kopernicus (the OPM one is more up-to-date). I have to update the planet pack in order to make them compatible again.

Thanks for answer. I hope that you will keep maintaining Trans-Keptunian - together with OPM it's imo best planet pack for KSP :)

• 3 weeks later...