How will resources change your game?

Valley

Maybe somebody already asked this but I can't help but feel it will change my game - A LOT! I barely get anything out of the Kerbin-Mun orbit. Why? Because of fuel, fuel, fuel - I can never figure out how to get enough mass and fuel into orbit. On the other hand, if I can supply my stations (AKA orbital gas stations) with fuel from the Mun, I can focus on making better ships and not worry about them having little to no fuel by the time they get into stable orbit. Also more crews will be able to return from the Mun. It changes so many things - and also means making new, cool designs for tankers, fuel stations, everything. It will make things both easier AND more fun as I set up a supply network AND have real reasons for a Mun base. MINING!

I don't see it affecting my Kerbin-Mun-Minmus missions much, but I can easily see it opening up more complex ops at Duna (using Ike as the mine) and backup options around Jool (using Bop, Pol, or Vall as the mine).

Maybe if I did career mode more often, I could see it affecting my vehicles from Kerbin, but otherwise Kerbin is a bottomless fuel depot. the real value of in-situ resource gathering is that it means less complexity involved in refueling exploratory vessels around other planets.

Seeing as I already use Karbonite and/or Kethane (which depends on if Kethane is up to date for the current version of KSP or not), probably not much is going to actually change.

Same here. The only significant change will be the use of a stock system instead of a mod.

The extra memory needed for all the new things promised in 1.0 will probably make KSP unplayable for me, unless there's also a major memory-optimisation pass as well.

If it does work (or when I save enough to buy a new machine) it'll be nice to have a reason for bases but it'll also make everything so much easier there'll be no reason for decent vehicles (pace OP).

I have been looking forward to stock resources for a long time since I don't care to use mods. I love building interplanetary ships in orbit, but fueling them around Kerbin is a pain. I'm thinking building around the Mun, sending a large ship out that'll be mostly empty by the time it gets there, refuel on the Mun and then go up and fuel the construction will be awesome.

I'll just have to find a way to make it cost effective...

I don't see it affecting my Kerbin-Mun-Minmus missions much, but I can easily see it opening up more complex ops at Duna (using Ike as the mine) and backup options around Jool (using Bop, Pol, or Vall as the mine).

Maybe if I did career mode more often, I could see it affecting my vehicles from Kerbin, but otherwise Kerbin is a bottomless fuel depot. the real value of in-situ resource gathering is that it means less complexity involved in refueling exploratory vessels around other planets.

It helps for larger missions like bases, add that Minmus is perfect for cheap fuel. Mine on Minmus then bring back to LKO and use to fuel ships going other places.

You save a lot on launches if they can reach LKO empty.

Yes if you use MK3 fuel spaceplanes you can also get fuel up pretty cheap.

Especially in the Jool system mining on the outer moons makes operations far easier, as the dV requiremets to enter orbit around all the moons is higher than going to Jool.

Refueling also make an Tylo SSTO plausible if it can mine fuel on surface, note that anything who has dV to land can also reach orbit again if tanks is full and you have decent twr

Considering I already use karbonite and so have this functionality already it probably wont change much beyond the parts I'm using and some balance changes. I'm sure there will be some differences between whatever they cook up for stock vs karbonite/kethane but I doubt it will be much of a paradigm shift for me.

I think it was once hinted that it was going to be related to asteroids, which makes it different from kethane/karbonite: instead of building a mining rig at a surface, you could potentially haul the "fuel" with you, specially at lot dv destinations like Eve or Duna. I would like to know what kind of ship can circularize an asteroid in Moho, though.

I think the difference is in having the "fuel" already in orbit. Mining, converting and ferrying fuel from the surface can be a hassle (specially if you need several trips) and Minmus doesn't offer a nice spot for launching interplanetary missions. Asteroids, OTOH, mean you don't have to pinpoint the landing spot of your tanker, fuel the tanker, take off, rv, rinse and repeat. If it's with asteroids, you either use a simpler orbital tanker or direct your fuel deprived ship to your refueling station

Probably not much, i do intend to use them for bases and stuff, but in general im not going to use the resources for most ships as infinite dV makes engineering pointless. Im still gonna make my SSTOs laythe and back capable without refueling/cheat engines like kraken drives.

Also, how much i use it depends on how its implemented. I would prefer it to not be awkward or tedious to use. If its just park on a planet, and drill until ur tanks are filled with some conversions perhaps im all for it. But if it requires a crapload of work just to get it to work, ill stick to the good old fashioned drag fuel from kerbin method.

defenetely gonna try it, as the whole idea makes ground bases and stuff way more useful outside of MP, videos, or just screwing around trying to replicate stuff from sci-fi. Might actually be able to make the final addition to my LC building set, an actual refinery that can obtain resources. Now all we need are plasma beam cannons and i can have a full blown LC base actually made.

I'm not sure how useful it would be to refine fuel from asteroids. What fraction of an asteroid's mass is going to be convertable to fuel? It would take a lot of fuel just to move the asteroid to location where you could use it. Maybe you rendezvous a refinery ship with lots of empty tanks with a passing asteroid...then quickly refine all the fuel out of it that you can, and then separate the refinery with full tanks and take it where you need it. That way you only have to shift the fuel, and not the useless rock mass. Possibly this could be economical.

But I think refining fuel from the celestial bodies you are exploring (or nearby low-gravity moons) would be more economical because then the fuel is closer to where you need it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.