ExceptionDetector 1.1 [KSP ANY VERSION]

godarklight

Um, it doesn't seem to be working because theres a bunch of exceptions in my output log and this plugin didn't notify about them in any way.

To show what I mean, heres the output log of the session I just ended a bit ago: http://sta.sh/0wbbrhm54a3

I put the folder into the gamedata folder, so, I know it's installed correctly, but it's not doing what I think (from what I read and the screenshot) it's supposed to do.

Edit: Oh, the download that I grabbed was through the build server link on the OP.

Edit2: I don't know if this would affect it (and I really doubt it), but I'm using the force opengl trick through steam to reduce memory usage. Just mentioning in case it would affect it somehow.

Edited by smjjames

Any idea what I could be doing wrong if it's working for other people? O.o

I uninstalled what i had and put in the one from kerbalstuff, lets see if this works.

Well, I had a bunch of NREs and reflection exceptions and it didn't notify them in any way.

Anybody? Seems like I'm the only one for whom it actually isn't working.

Edited by smjjames

This is exactly what I've been needing! My game will sometimes get to the point where I can't change scenes or save, and a number of things start calculating wrong, like Target velocity. My log ends up with sometimes 6 hundred thousand lines of NREs, and I can never find out what the root cause was. Hoping this helps, and will definitely come back with my results!

It will only pop up for a few seconds in the upper left corner when a exception is detected. If you don't get the pop up then everything is ok :D

What about the exceptions in the log that I posted a bit earlier? Is it supposed to pop up with those or....?

It pops up for every NullReference that is detected.

The problem is that I DON'T get any popups, none, zero, nada, zilch, absolute zero.

So, if it's doing those reflection exceptions (no idea where those are coming from) and it's not doing a pop up, then somethings wrong.

*bump*

Anybody? Though I guess really only godarklight can help figure out why it's not triggering even though I'm getting exceptions.

Some things to look for:

Did you use the dll provided in the official download or did you compile it yourself? Are you sure you installed it correctly? Have you checked for nested folders? Have you tried deleting the Exception detector folder from Gamedata and reinstalling it?

Some things to look for:

Did you use the dll provided in the official download or did you compile it yourself? Are you sure you installed it correctly? Have you checked for nested folders? Have you tried deleting the Exception detector folder from Gamedata and reinstalling it?

I used the dll from the download, I wouldn't know how to compile it.

As for nested folders, all the downloaded zip has was the gamedata in there, then exception folder, and then the dll and license info. I put the exception folder (the one in the zips gamedata folder) into KSPs gamedata folder.

I did a resinstall once already, but I suppose I can try again. I'll delete MMs cache just to be sure.

Nope, not triggering, I've had these exceptions so far. Oh, I've just noticed that the output log reads exception detectors version as 0.0.0.0 for some reason.:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.SetupLoaders () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KConfigDocumentationGenerator.GenerateAssemblyDocumentation (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KConfigDocumentationGenerator.Generate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KConfigDocumentationGenerator.OnLevelWasLoaded (Int32 level) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(I'm having a lot of these, no idea where they're coming from)

at ExLP.ExToolbar_BuildWindow.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

MechJeb module MechJebKMGimbal2Ext threw an exception in OnStart: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'km_Gimbal_2.0, Version=1.0.5347.43069, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

File name: 'km_Gimbal_2.0, Version=1.0.5347.43069, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(not sure what is up with this one)

Edited by smjjames

I suppose I should post a list of my mods if anybody wants to figure out why the heck this isn't working for me. I've posted an output log or two already.

Untitled_zps6viebilx.png

Most of them are self explainatory, Nereid is nereids SAVE backup system, the USI folder has FTT, Karbonite, and MKS/OKS in it.

Edited by smjjames
updated the modlist image

I'm not seeing the exception detector folder. So...is it nested in one of the folders? You probably will have to look in each one.

Oh whoop, that's a slightly old image, but the exception detector folder is in there. Though maybe I should just update the image.

Edit: *grumble* Since KSP decided to just now crash when I recovered a vessel, I'll just update now. I'm grumbling over the crash, not the updating.

Edit2: *whacks the forum software wif a trout* Stop thinking I want to delete the post when I go advanced edit :P

Edit3: Modlist image now 100% up to date.

Edited by smjjames

Since nobody seems to have any idea how to help (beyond the basic stuff already said) and godarklight hasn't been around, I'm going to have to slowly remove mods and see which one it is. Although I have a suspicion of which one might be interfering.

I've got nothing. I don't see any window either, but then I may not be experiencing any exceptions at the moment. I sorta wish I would get an exception though, cause I'm getting some oddities in the game right now that would sure benefit from a trackable exception or two.

I've got nothing. I don't see any window either, but then I may not be experiencing any exceptions at the moment. I sorta wish I would get an exception though, cause I'm getting some oddities in the game right now that would sure benefit from a trackable exception or two.

What's your modlist? Seeing possible correlations might help.

That's gonna be a visit to hell for you I'm afraid. I'm involved with a number of projects that involve me compiling my own variations of other mods to figure out compatibility issues and such, so there's so many possibilities.

Besides, I have enough mods installed that it takes me a good hour or so to compile the list. I'm not desperate for your mod to work for me though, considering I really do actually need to see the exception in the logs to track down the cause.

It's not MY mod, silly.

The only thing I temporarily removed was nereids backup system thing because I have no clue what else it could be. Besides, I have stuff like the USI packs and B9, which are rather complex and some have a few interdependencies.

Woah, I checked on this thread every day for a week or two, and all of a sudden it blows up - I didn't notice :P

I *think* there is a way to screw this up, if there is a mod that throws in OnGUI that is alphabetically before ExceptionDetector, It will likely cancel the rest of the OnGUI call which means the window will never pop up. I have no idea how to fix this other than renaming the folder to 0000_ExceptionDetector...

This mod is mainly to light a fire under mod developers to stop throwing, and to provide players with some type of hope of diagnosing a broken install without looking at the logs.

I don't mind helping people out directly though - I can usually get in touch with other mod devs if I need to forward on any issues :)

Hm, I looked at the output log and the only OnGui is in an NRE really late into the output log:

at PatchedConicRenderer.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 (happened while warping maybe?)

I'll give your suggestion a try though.

Also, I may have actually seen the exception thing trigger the box a split second before a crash, but that's not even helpful in any way.

Edit: If there are mods which give the OnGUI call after exception detector, will those be affected?

Can you give some examples of exeptions that it's supposed to show? In the current one (which just crashed due to memory leak), theres a few:

at ExLP.ExToolbar_BuildWindow.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(this has come up a few times)

ATM threw one early on.

Theres a few from MechJeb, but Sarbian said that they are harmless and MechJeb throws exceptions at everything.

Theres a couple from Nereids S.A.V.E. backup system that it itself caught.

And then theres this one which happened REALLY early on, though I've seen it happen at other times. I think I'll ask about it in the thread for the mod:

AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'RCSBuildAidToolbar': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'RCSBuildAid.Toolbar' from assembly 'RCSBuildAidToolbar, Version=0.6.1.27988, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

edit2: I asked and the reflection exception one is a harmless and normal thing, the EPL one may be the same. So, I guess that log didn't have any exceptions to worry about.

Edited by smjjames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.