ExceptionDetector 1.1 [KSP ANY VERSION]

godarklight

I just like to ask for a function to add to this mod.

The windows pops up as expected, but they are so fast dissapearing. Nor can I save the thing even with prntscr nor copyand paste.

And in the debug window there aren't show up.

So can you please make it save it into the debug log as well and maybe a optional button or something to set the window timing??? The first one should be easier. just each time a window closing save its text to the debug log please.

I do not have output log somehow, and each modler asking for it.

I am willing to help but can't in this way.

Oh and the most important thing. Please add AVC support to this mod. Maybe my ask is out of question since but didn't noticed a newer version or something... I know only what I see. The ExceptionDetector.dll is 8.0k and dated 2015.febr.04

Thank you in advance.

I just like to ask for a function to add to this mod.

The windows pops up as expected, but they are so fast dissapearing. Nor can I save the thing even with prntscr nor copyand paste.

And in the debug window there aren't show up.

So can you please make it save it into the debug log as well and maybe a optional button or something to set the window timing??? The first one should be easier. just each time a window closing save its text to the debug log please.

I do not have output log somehow, and each modler asking for it.

I am willing to help but can't in this way.

Oh and the most important thing. Please add AVC support to this mod. Maybe my ask is out of question since but didn't noticed a newer version or something... I know only what I see. The ExceptionDetector.dll is 8.0k and dated 2015.febr.04

Thank you in advance.

i think that is highly unlikely. If KSP really isn't generating a outputlog, your install is borked and should be fixed with a new clean install. More than likely you are looking in the wrong place.

From the stickied post in the Support thread:

When KSP crashes it will general a folder with files with details surrounding the crash. Usually a window will pop up ingame asking you to send this information to the developers, along with the name of the folder. You can find this folder in the KSP install directory.

If KSP doesn't crash, start KSP and cause the problem. Quit KSP and find the output_log.txt (not the KSP.log) at the location below:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt -OR- KSP_win64\KSP_x64_DATA\output_log.txt (depending on which used)
    - In case you installed KSP into a Windows protected directory (C:\Users, C:\Program Files or C:\Windows\ and their subfolders) the output log file may be stored in the folder called C:\Users\[username]\Appdata, this folder is usually hidden so you should enable the view hidden folders option (more information). Note that for the demo you should find the output_log.txt file located in the KSP_Data folder.
    - Steam users should right click KSP in Steam, click on Properties, then in the Properties box, click Local Files, then Browse Local Files.
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: The log is written to /home/user/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

You can upload these files to any file sharing site (such as Dropbox, Mediafire or File2web). These sites will give you a link you can include in your posts to share your files.

The output and crash logs are useful because they help us understand exactly what you were doing when the issue happened by providing a "play-by-play reenactment" (in text form) of your KSP session. Anything out of the ordinary will often show up in the log files, and it gives us a good idea of where to start looking for solutions.

I looked into the options of the launcher and found out that generate logs was turned off. I must have set that up because of the text in () ... which say something about speeding up the game to not generate them. But this was long, long time ago. I didn't thinked about it when I wrote this post.

I know that what you write about the created directories. But those are error.log 's and somebody already said that file is not what he needs to correct his mod. Unfortunately no answer was get for the question about where can I find the correct one. But here is yours. So thank you.

Didn't searched for output_log.txt yet.

Now:

There is one in the KSP_data/ but 0 byte. (I am still in the game though maybe I should restart it to fully set it to "normal". Long playtimes for me are rare visitors recently :D So I tend to keep em around.)

Thank you again for the information It was usefull and I'll sure generate more logs and upload it to my server and link it to the posts.

but still: I'd like to ask the same that if that neat little window closes or opens the information should be available at the debug.log too (alt+F12 -> debug) I am write about.

It would be good to have a place where I can Copy it from, into the memory.

And if I missing a window I can still look into it inside that log. Maybe spotting more than I can on the fly.

For me reading and translating is a bit slower process than for anyone who is a born english speaker.

And this is just an idea how can make this tool more usefull in the future. Anyway keep up the good work as this thing is already a must have one.

I just installed this, thanks.

So far (I have >94 mods installed), i've seen exceptions from planetshine and ATM just getting to the main screen.

Will be testing as I go, thanks for creating this.

I have it installed and I see NOTHING! Not even ATM or MechJeb. Although MechJeb can be mostly ignored.

Those popups should be visible. Maybe you are lucky to not have them. or accidentaly installed this one wrong?

It was 2 days before my first window came out. Since then it is a bit annoying how much times it popping in.

Mostly for ATM and MJ as you write. Try create a MJ custom window, with surface biome, ship-bottom altitude and show landing predictions that throwed me a lot of these.

Even Logspamming...

Not a good Idea, but if you want those windows, here is my recipe ^^^^ :D

*grumble grumble* That's it, I'm going to do a clean install and put in each mod, one. at. a. time. to find out which thing is freaking causing the problem!

I was going to move the entire folder onto the desktop, but instead I'll use steams backup function.

Edit: I think I'll do it anyway because steams backup is a bunch of compressed files and I can't see the full folders.

Popup window confirmed with just ATM and MJ, saw the ATM one come up. Now to find out which freaking one is breaking it.......................

Edited by smjjames

I find this 'lil plugin to be highly useful and unbelievably depressing to watch in action. If you are one of those people who sees a problem and can't resist the urge to track down the problem and fix it, then for the love of God do not use this!

:P

I find this 'lil plugin to be highly useful and unbelievably depressing to watch in action. If you are one of those people who sees a problem and can't resist the urge to track down the problem and fix it, then for the love of God do not use this!

:P

Speaking as both a developer and an administrator, I find it very sad that people still don't bother to respond to exceptions and errors. I'm sure that the ATM and Planetshine exceptions I'm seeing at startup are harmless, as are the RealChute exceptions which I see occasionally. I have yet to see a divide-by-zero, but that I'll be reporting to whoever would be responsible. For now, I just ignore these.

At work, we have developers who have ignored error logs for years, to the point that we get thousands of messages a day. We are finally starting to clamp down on this, but it's still sad and depressing.

Speaking as both a developer and an administrator, I find it very sad that people still don't bother to respond to exceptions and errors. I'm sure that the ATM and Planetshine exceptions I'm seeing at startup are harmless, as are the RealChute exceptions which I see occasionally. I have yet to see a divide-by-zero, but that I'll be reporting to whoever would be responsible. For now, I just ignore these.

At work, we have developers who have ignored error logs for years, to the point that we get thousands of messages a day. We are finally starting to clamp down on this, but it's still sad and depressing.

It might be largely because people aren't seeing the exceptions and really only notice when something actually goes wrong ingame.

I try to report the exceptions myself though, and MechJeb is really having some problems with the 405 build.

As a bit of an update to my attempt to figure out what the hell is stopping exceptiondetector from working, Nereids S.A.V.E. backup system at least doesn't screw with it.

I have a better idea. Let's make a nasty, annoying beep each time an exception occurs instead of the pop-up and try to convince creators of popular mods to bundle your DLL together with their mods, so most players will have you mod installed. That will hopefully force mod developers to fix their bugs (or and players to curse and delete your DLLs).

Differences from the output log with and without RCSbuildaid (using notepad++, ignoring normal stuff):

Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RCSBuildAid\Plugins\RCSBuildAid.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RCSBuildAid\Plugins\RCSBuildAidToolbar.dll (this message is harmless)
AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'RCSBuildAidToolbar': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'RCSBuildAid.Toolbar' from assembly 'RCSBuildAidToolbar, Version=0.6.1.27988, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Mechjeb also threw an exception relating to RCSbuildaid, not sure if it's caused by MechJeb or caused by RCSbuildaid. It does give the same reference to a reflection exception.

MechJeb moduleRegistry creation threw an exception in LoadComputerModules loading RCSBuildAidToolbar, Version=0.6.1.27988, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.LoadComputerModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

While not an exception, it is related to RCSbuildaid.

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'SettingsLoader' from assembly 'RCSBuildAid'

File 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/../GameData/RCSBuildAid/settings.cfg' does not exist

Edit: Hm, the author of RCSbuildaid said that the exception is caused by the lack of blizzys toolbar and I can just delete the rcsbuildaid toolbar thing, so I'll see if that works.

Edit2: YEP THAT FIXED IT. I have no idea how the heck that rcsbuildaidtoolbar was screwing things up.

Edited by smjjames

It might be largely because people aren't seeing the exceptions and really only notice when something actually goes wrong ingame.

I try to report the exceptions myself though, and MechJeb is really having some problems with the 405 build.

As a bit of an update to my attempt to figure out what the hell is stopping exceptiondetector from working, Nereids S.A.V.E. backup system at least doesn't screw with it.

I hear you.

I hope that this mod will make it easier for developers to find their issues and fix them.

I hear you.

I hope that this mod will make it easier for developers to find their issues and fix them.

Yeah, no clue what was up with the blizzys toolbar plugin for RCS build aid, it was the only thing causing the problem.

Theres also some exception going on with extraplanetary launchpads which I suspect is related to the blizzy toolbar thing, or at least toolbar in general, already posted about it in the thread for it.

Edited by smjjames

FOUND IT

It's RCSbuildaid that is somehow stopping the exceptiondetector popup from appearing.

I don't think so. As I am using both this and RCSBuildAid too, to me getting an exeption window is quite common in my gaming periods. mostly every MJ action drops one.

I don't think so. As I am using both this and RCSBuildAid too, to me getting an exeption window is quite common in my gaming periods. mostly every MJ action drops one.

More specifically, it was the RCSbuildaidtoolbar.dll that was doing it, removing that fixed the problem.

• 1 month later...

Any word on updating to 1.0? Not trying to rush you or anything.

Maybe I'll see if it works out of the box.

Edit: I didn't get any incompat notice about it, so... maybe.

Edit2: Yep it works just fine in 1.0, detected some KSP exceptions.

Edited by smjjames

smjjames said:
Any word on updating to 1.0? Not trying to rush you or anything.

Maybe I'll see if it works out of the box.

Edit: I didn't get any incompat notice about it, so... maybe.

Edit2: Yep it works just fine in 1.0, detected some KSP exceptions.

According to [Moderator removed defunct website] it is listed as v1.0.2 compatible.

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
According to KerbalStuff.com it is listed as v1.0.2 compatible.
Sadly yes it does. I wish it said was 1.0.4 compatible. That way CKAN could install it. So far this has saved me a lot of hassle in finding mods that have problems or don't play nice together. Normally it gives me a big clue on how to avoid the bugs or a least something better to report back to modders. I really hope it gets updated soon.

Sadly yes it does. I wish it said was 1.0.4 compatible. That way CKAN could install it. So far this has saved me a lot of hassle in finding mods that have problems or don't play nice together. Normally it gives me a big clue on how to avoid the bugs or a least something better to report back to modders. I really hope it gets updated soon.

Many mods work without problems in 1.0.4 and this one is not an exception. Go ahead and install it.

Many mods work without problems in 1.0.4 and this one is not an exception. Go ahead and install it.
A manual installation. Sorry I am not that old fashioned :P If Kerbal Stuff says it is not compatible then it does get used by the majority. Edited by nobodyhasthis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.