[1.4.x] Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor [v1.7.1] [2018-03-30]

nightingale

Alright, this is officially re-certified on KSP 1.0.2, no new version required (although you'll need the new Contract Configurator from here).

Looks like I missed my 5 hour estimate... Too much to clean up for a new KSP version! I'll make it up to OWK with a new update to Tourism in a day or two (if that's what floats your boat).

I'm not sure if I did it wrong, but when I loaded my save after the update and downloading the new Contract Configurator, all my Anomaly missions failed simultaneously, and they don't seem to be respawning. Are these things gone for good? Is there any way to reset my savegame's tracking of the missions to let them respawn?

Edit: Nevermind. Forgot to re-add the Anomaly contract pack when I deleted and re-installed Configurator. :blush:

Alrighty, it was closer than I though, so I pushed through and got Tourism Plus all done up. Forget this day or two business!

I'm not sure if I did it wrong, but when I loaded my save after the update and downloading the new Contract Configurator, all my Anomaly missions failed simultaneously, and they don't seem to be respawning. Are these things gone for good? Is there any way to reset my savegame's tracking of the missions to let them respawn?

Edit: Nevermind. Forgot to re-add the Anomaly contract pack when I deleted and re-installed Configurator. :blush:

Hopefully your save recovered reasonably well - been making changes to have Contract Configurator handle that more gracefully over the past few releases (it used to just throw a ton of exceptions).

Hey, Uh apparently using the default land quality does this to the anomalies
http://i.imgur.com/yJtZeg8.jpg
I can't get the contract complete either

Yup, sadly that's just KSP - there's a lot of anomalies that are a lot worse. Some that I just didn't include in the pack at all because they were so bad (like 100's of meters underground). Anyway, your contract looks okay so far... it says you've visited the first of four waypoints (at least, that's what I'm seeing from the screenshot, let me know if there's something I've missed).

Yup, sadly that's just KSP - there's a lot of anomalies that are a lot worse. Some that I just didn't include in the pack at all because they were so bad (like 100's of meters underground). Anyway, your contract looks okay so far... it says you've visited the first of four waypoints (at least, that's what I'm seeing from the screenshot, let me know if there's something I've missed).

Eh I didn't notice that, Oops, The waypoint to go there is still there though, is this intentional?

Eh I didn't notice that, Oops, The waypoint to go there is still there though, is this intentional?

Sort of. Currently Contract Configurator doesn't support making the waypoint disappear, but it would make sense since that makes it consistent with stock contracts. Raised [#205] to enable that behaviour.

This may be more of a gameplay / building question -- and I apologize for asking when I don't have details in front of me -- but I'm having trouble getting to altitude for one of the earlier anomaly contracts.

I'm having a hard time getting to altitude (16,500 meters?) on the very next contract after KSP Island with standard jets, so maybe I just need to be creative / accurate with a rocket, but I'm wondering if in earlier versions of the tech tree the turbojet was closer to the beginning, and making that contract a bit easier.

But maybe my early-aircraft skills need help. :)

All-in-all a super-fun contract pack. I'm adoring it with waypoint manager! Thanks so much!

This may be more of a gameplay / building question -- and I apologize for asking when I don't have details in front of me -- but I'm having trouble getting to altitude for one of the earlier anomaly contracts.

I'm having a hard time getting to altitude (16,500 meters?) on the very next contract after KSP Island with standard jets, so maybe I just need to be creative / accurate with a rocket, but I'm wondering if in earlier versions of the tech tree the turbojet was closer to the beginning, and making that contract a bit easier.

But maybe my early-aircraft skills need help. :)

All-in-all a super-fun contract pack. I'm adoring it with waypoint manager! Thanks so much!

Hmm.... maybe I do need the details for this one - all of the Anomaly Surveyor contracts are on the ground! Also, progression-wise, most of the contracts have fairly arbitrary requirements - so there isn't a contract that's really "after" the Island Airfield one!

Hmm.... maybe I do need the details for this one - all of the Anomaly Surveyor contracts are on the ground! Also, progression-wise, most of the contracts have fairly arbitrary requirements - so there isn't a contract that's really "after" the Island Airfield one!

Oh! These must be more generic "survey" contracts. I've not played 1.0 as vanilla for long, so I assumed the survey stuff was contributed by this mod. :) I'll just assume that these were just arbitrarily hard ones that I need to wait to do or just dismiss for now. The Pyramid survey contract did pop up, so maybe that one is "next" for me to achieve.

Thanks for the response!

Oh! These must be more generic "survey" contracts. I've not played 1.0 as vanilla for long, so I assumed the survey stuff was contributed by this mod. :) I'll just assume that these were just arbitrarily hard ones that I need to wait to do or just dismiss for now. The Pyramid survey contract did pop up, so maybe that one is "next" for me to achieve.

Thanks for the response!

Ah yes, the survey contracts were introduced in 0.90 (when Fine Print became stock). Those are for surveying things that are not anomalies. :D

Ah yes, the survey contracts were introduced in 0.90 (when Fine Print became stock). Those are for surveying things that are not anomalies. :D

Oh yes! The Fine Print integration. I forgot about that. The career game has come a long way in a short time. :)

New version up. Hard to explain the change without spoilers. Suffice it to say there will be minor spoilery graphical glitches on the Jool contract if you use 1.1.0 with Contract Configurator 1.0.3 when it comes out (in the next few days hopefully). So download here!

ContractPack-AnomalySurveyor 1.1.1

• Future proof Jool Monolith contract against changes upcoming in Contract Configurator 1.0.3.

So, let's say I start a career and already performed the first Anomaly Surveyor mission... I don't think the 2nd has shown up in Mission Control yet... And let's say I have decided NOW that I want to incorporate SCANsat into my game.

Would adding the Anomaly Surveyor SCANsat requirements break something? I'll probably risk it anyways, but I figure if the answer is "DEFINITELY YES" then maybe I can be stopped in time. And if it's "probably not" then I won't have to hold my breath when I try it out. :)

Thanks!

So, let's say I start a career and already performed the first Anomaly Surveyor mission... I don't think the 2nd has shown up in Mission Control yet... And let's say I have decided NOW that I want to incorporate SCANsat into my game.

Would adding the Anomaly Surveyor SCANsat requirements break something? I'll probably risk it anyways, but I figure if the answer is "DEFINITELY YES" then maybe I can be stopped in time. And if it's "probably not" then I won't have to hold my breath when I try it out. :)

Thanks!

The first two missions don't require scansat coverage anyway so it should all be good.

Correct. All that SCANsat changes is (for some contracts) requires you to have done an orbital scan of the specific location before the contract is offered. If you add in SCANsat later, those requirements will just get enabled via ModuleManager.

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying these contracts. I've been working my way (slowly) through a career save since 1.0.2 and these contracts provide real, rather than arbitrary, sights to see and visit. I just finished a seat-of-my-pants Mun return visit to the Armstrong memorial, and it was glorious. My favorite parts of KSP involve trying to figure out ways around oversights and unforeseen problems. The Anomaly pack provides plenty of opportunity for that, and a unique reward when you get there. Thanks!

Any plans - or technical possibility at all - to add the requirememt of an orbital resource scan, instead of SCANsat I mean?

Support for the resource scanner was added in Contract Configurator 1.1.0, so it is technically possible, but I have no plans to make it work based on the resource scanner.

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying these contracts. I've been working my way (slowly) through a career save since 1.0.2 and these contracts provide real, rather than arbitrary, sights to see and visit. I just finished a seat-of-my-pants Mun return visit to the Armstrong memorial, and it was glorious. My favorite parts of KSP involve trying to figure out ways around oversights and unforeseen problems. The Anomaly pack provides plenty of opportunity for that, and a unique reward when you get there. Thanks!

You're very welcome!

I've seen quite a few threads asking for some kind of overarching goal for career mode and Anomaly Surveyor is the best mod I've seen that addresses that issue by providing some actual exploration goals.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really address one of the fundamental issues with career mode (it's pretty much entirely deterministic other than the contracts) since the anomalies are static.

Would it be possible to create a contract pack that generates random anomalies? I know that the contracts themselves would be trivial (basically modified survey contracts), but to really make it interesting it would be neat if there was some way of placing models (maybe tie in with something like Kerbin-side? I just noticed that they added a contract pack) so there's actually something there to find. Having the anomalies unlock extra bonuses would be even more awesome (that's another idea for contract configurator: allow special unlocks from completing certain contracts).

Anyways, just throwing my random ideas out here after reading threads on the topic of expanding career mode and seeing all the awesome work that's been happening recently with the science contracts.

I've seen quite a few threads asking for some kind of overarching goal for career mode and Anomaly Surveyor is the best mod I've seen that addresses that issue by providing some actual exploration goals.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really address one of the fundamental issues with career mode (it's pretty much entirely deterministic other than the contracts) since the anomalies are static.

Would it be possible to create a contract pack that generates random anomalies? I know that the contracts themselves would be trivial (basically modified survey contracts), but to really make it interesting it would be neat if there was some way of placing models (maybe tie in with something like Kerbin-side? I just noticed that they added a contract pack) so there's actually something there to find. Having the anomalies unlock extra bonuses would be even more awesome (that's another idea for contract configurator: allow special unlocks from completing certain contracts).

Anyways, just throwing my random ideas out here after reading threads on the topic of expanding career mode and seeing all the awesome work that's been happening recently with the science contracts.

It's a pretty neat idea, but I can imagine it's pretty intensive work to create interesting anomalies. Also, randomly placing them could be a pain - you have to be careful to pick a reasonably flat spot, among other things.

And yeah, Kerbin-Side (or more accurately Kerbal Konstructs) is definitely where you want to go for this. The Contract Configurator side to it is actually fairly easy (and if the objects in game have a PQS City, then it'll work out of the box even with random placement).

Support for the resource scanner was added in Contract Configurator 1.1.0, so it is technically possible, but I have no plans to make it work based on the resource scanner.

Would this be correct then?

REQUIREMENT:NEEDS[SCANsat]
{
name = WP0
type = SCANsatLocationCoverage

latitude = 17.0571
longitude = -85.4587
}

complemented with:

@CONTRACT_TYPE[AS_*]

REQUIREMENT:NEEDS[!SCANsat]
{
name = PerformOrbitalSurvey
type = PerformOrbitalSurvey
}

For reference from CC HowTo:

REQUIREMENT
{
name = PerformOrbitalSurvey
type = PerformOrbitalSurvey

// Target body - if not supplied will be defaulted from the contract.
targetBody = Kerbin
}

Might need more specific changes for Kerbin's anomalies though ...

Edited by KerbMav

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.