Quicksaving: What's your worst moment when you forgot to quicksave?

OscarWilde

Was just working on my space station and had my shuttle floating nearby. Using KAS I had it attached via a winch to hold it in place!

I was out working (attaching struts to make the station stable) on EVA and hit the dark side of the earth which makes it to hard to see and work. So I went back into the ship and started to fast forward until we came around the other side of the earth.

As I was fast forwarding I noticed the shuttle was moving towards the ship (obvious when your moving fast forward) so I went back to normal time and KAS glitched causing the winch to think it was in "docked" mode... which, for those of you not using KAS, means the station and shuttle are now controlled simultaneously. So I suddenly couldn't RCS backward (because the station was thrusting in the same direction..) and the shuttle slammed into the back of my station blowing off the last docking port and the last module attached and destroying two of the four parachutes on my shuttle...

Didn't quicksave during any of that... and now my station can't expand any more (since it has no more docking ports..) and I don't know if my shuttle can land safely (Columbia...)so I may have to send a rescue team up to bring them back.

So frustrating!! Just a quick press of F5 before fast forwarding and I would still be working away! No issues!

2015_02_03_00005.jpg

Blew up everything from the 5-way hub out.. leaving just the control module and solar array intact. Should be able to undock below the Control module and start back from there..

Similar experiences? What are your worst disasters?

It was so long ago that I have forgotten, but recently I've had the opposite problem - quicksaving when I shouldn't and causing me to have to either revert to an earlier "backup" save or edit my persistent file to get rid of the extra experience points I'd accidentally cheated in.

What happened, specifically, is that I wanted to test out my Tylo lander and was too lazy to copypaste it into my Sandbox game, so I HyperEdited it to Tylo orbit and quicksaved out of habit before landing. I eventually landed it and felt proud of myself, but then when I tried to warp it back to KSC I forgot to account for the Kerbal getting tons of Experience and me getting tons of Reputation and Science for landing on Tylo. In order to undo this I had to scroll through my save file and remove all references to having visited Tylo, and I came uncomfortably close to corrupting the whole thing and losing the whole save.

I had one incident recently early in a career where bob was in a ship orbiting mun colecting EVA reports. several reports had been taken just fine but then right after he got out of the pod to take another his orbital velocity droped to 0 for no apparent reason. So here he is at 35km above the surface falling strait down as his ship takes off without him. no quicksave to undo the bug so I boost him to orbit on his jetpack. He has just enough to make it to orbit and get close to the same orbit as his craft but ran out just as he was geting close with about 2 m/s difference and not lined up enough to hit the door. Couldn't control his original pod (had probe for SAS but RT2 and I forgot to extend the antina) Sent up a rescue craft but after several faild passes trying to manuver a craft so a free floating kerbal could grab a ladder I gave up and edited the persist to give him a touch of EVA fuel. Dont feel too bad about haveing to cheat a bit since it was a glitch that caused the problem in the first place.

I have had so many moments where I should have quicksaved... But back then I didn't know quicksaving was a thing. Now I still never use them, just because it's a little too tedious for me. I guess reverting flights is tedious too, though... Hmm....

I guess I'll have to start quicksaving.

Landed on Duna with Jeb conducting some science. Then I tried to take off and realized I was grossly underpowered and there was no way he was going home. I use a flight stick with 2 buttons set for the quick save and reload. Hit the quick save by accident. Jeb is still waiting to get picked up...4 years later.

I've got a tool that version controls every autosave the game makes and every quicksave I make (without wasting space). With every autosave being tracked so I can revert to any previous one, I don't have to think about remembering to quicksave. here's the tool if you want it. I've not updated it in a while, but aside from a few minor bugs it works in 0.90.

I launched a refuel mission to my LKO station and still had a bit of fuel left in the 2nd stage, and used most of it to burn toward the station. As I burned retro to slow my approach, the second stage ran out and I hit the spacebar and hurled the spent stage directly into my beautiful station. All I could do is sit and watch the show...BOOM! had to revert all the way back to launch.

Edited by vixr

Landing on Duna: 5000 m above ground. «Why can I see the shadow of the...?». Fiery death. Oh, no quick save since... before takeoff.

First time building a station: two hours trying to dock. Docking was so hard then. Finally get it aligned... getting closer... wait a minute, what happened to that docking port? It's backwards... the docking port is docked to the station, the station doesn't have a port. Kill all kerbals.

After landing on four of Jool's moons, I was taking my ion lander to the last one, Bop, but got distracted and missed the manoeuvre node. Okay, I'll just make a new one and go round again. Then I got encounters with Tylo, Vall and Laythe in a single orbit. That put me on a solar escape trajectory. Or it would have done if Jool hadn't been in the way. Even my ion powered Bop-lander didn't have enough delta-V to correct that. When was the last quicksave? I checked the quicksave.sfs file with the game still running to make sure it wasn't too long ago: landed at Tylo, which was the first one I visited. RIP Will Kerman.

Hmm. Too often that I have to replay hours....

The other way around is worse... You are trying to land, go a bit too fast and you want to reload, but hit f5 instead of f9..... Hmm my quicksave is now 100m above ground and am going 100mps.

The obvious three hours long mission that you screw up and then realize your last quicksave was at launch.

Now, I don't do any quickloading, reverting and quicksaving at all.

Early such careers had me lose about 40% of my crafts (and kerbals) due to some mistakes. I am now down to 15% losses on average.

Still, 15% failure rate still unnerving when you launch a ship worth 700,000.00 ish kerbdosh (this amount exclude the price of the lifter itself, NF reactors and stuff and not cheap). When that amount is about a third of you current total budget, failure is karmic and/or under the whims of the gods.

Everything went fine, though. My heart was beating like hell, though.

Spent about 3 hours trying to figure out docking the other night (still pretty new at this). I was trying for something along the lines of Gemini 7/6A with two kerballed craft rendezvousing in orbit but actually docking, then return to Kerbin. Seven reverts in I finally get a perfect intercept, I'm approaching the target. 30m out, dead straight for the docking port when BANG! Staging. Off comes the RCS and SAS (ready for rentry) leaving the now unpowered control pod tumbling about. Of course, hadn't quicksaved at all. Bugger (and other selected swear words) Spen. the next half hour chasing it about with the other craft to see if I could rescue what-his-kerb from spending all eternity on orbit, either by docking and reentering or at least nudging him into a degrading orbit.

After more than a hundred hours in a sandbox, with Interstellar and Kopernicus installed, I go for my first Interstellar flight. A huge ship builded in orbit, with 4 fusion reactors, 1 Antimatter reactor, one Antimatter Lab and a tiny lander docked in the front. 4 hours of orbital stuff cause the warp drive was a little bugged on Kopernicus and I arrived far from my target, then I finally reach a good orbit around the target planet, and a Kraken attack destroyed half of my warp ship, the warp drive itself, one fission reactor, the lab and the main engine. I quicksaved too early so I decided to go on. Lander undocked, good approach on the target, and perfect landing until 50 meters from the ground, when another Kraken attack made the lander wobble so it was destroyed. The capsule safely landed on the planet, with just two kerbal alive, the third was killed by the capsule trying to go Eva...

Now I quicksave every minutes...

• 1 month later...

Mine is an accidental quick save When I shouldn't have. Built a massive Jool interplanetary ship in orbit, completed the entire mission (Took me 1 hour a day for about 1 week) . I got back to Kerbin. Loads of science on board. I re-entered fine. But I used 4x acceleration to speed up the decent aaannnd then the parachutes opened and got ripped off and for some reason, I pressed quick save....... Spash..... My reaction....

(╯°□°)╯︵ ââ€Â»Ã¢â€Âââ€Â»

If you use KAC, it'll make backups of previous quicksaves you can access from the alt-F9 menu. It's saved my green bacon many times. That said, my worst moment is when I haven't quicksaved for a few hours of playtime, and then something goes wrong. Like discovering my interplanetary transfer has shifted way outside the target SoI and I'm too close to correct.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.