Quicksaving: What's your worst moment when you forgot to quicksave?

OscarWilde

My worst quicksave moment was the opposite - I had no idea about the parachute deployed + quicksave bug. Tons of science from every Minmus biome, Jeb hurling towards the ocean at 120 m/s and only a teeny tiny parachute to slow him down. Worst part is I landed just fine before but decided to do it again just for fun.

And oh boy the fun I had.

It was in a 0.90 career, so Jeb as a pilot was unable to cut->repack->deploy. I ended up messing with the quicksafe.sfs, manually changing the chute state from deployed to stowed. But it took me at least 20 minutes of panic before I figured it out.

My mothership did a perfect aerobrake at Jool resulting in a perfect transfer orbit to Laythe. Another perfect aerobrake at Laythe, so i barely needed to adjust my orbit. I undock my lander and fire the throwaway ion engines to deorbit. When i enter the atmosphere i get into a nice and gentle glide towards one of the island. Then my 14 month old son decides to mash the keyboard and manages to trigger the action group for ditching the landing stage with retro rockets and landing gear. The chutes slowed down my craft enough for an improvised landing, but the takeoff engine didn't survive. Then, having no gear to stand on, the lander fell over and rolled into the ocean, stranding 3 kerbals with only 2 days of life support. No rescue mission would have gotten there in time, so i let them succumb to a combination of oxygen depravation and sea sickness.

Okay, so this is a kind of long story...

Jeb Bob and Bill had retired, so they went to live out their retirement on a Minmus base. Another one of my brave Kerbals decided to then meet them up there. The big solar panels on the side of the small spacecraft reminded Jeb of his glory days as a spaceplane flyer, I guess... So he took it for a spin. He flew it like a plane (as much as that's possible) around Minmus for a while, and then decided to land it. He landed, and then noticed he was running out of fuel. And the base was on the other side of Minmus. *facepalm* (Now, already you realize that I should have quicksaved before I left the base.) He got into an orbit and realized he missed these kinds of missions that he had back in the space program. So he decided to go home. Jeb is weird. So he eventually got a gravity assist at the Mun and was around his periapsis when he realized he was out of fuel. Jumping out of the cockpit, he activated his jetpack and got ready to get back to Kerbin. So he got his periapsis in the atmosphere of Kerbin and was ready to come down right on the land and turn on his helmet to save himself. He came in, burned up... etc etc.... Wait, why is the land over there? JETPACK JETPACK JETPACK. Oops. He came down right by the shore and made a quite anticlimactic splash in the water. My trajectory was almost perfect... It was just by a few meters that Jeb missed saving his life. I could have quicksaved so many times here... But I didn't.

20a3ab75b5499b55526c0389b7cfed0c.jpg

I use quicksave, because game can glitch or crash at any moment.

So worst time to forget about F5 is just before crash, or the moment SAS decides that flying straight is for rookies and shakes my craft apart in seconds.

Damn, I hate SAS Kraken!

A long time ago, my first trip to Jool. I forgot to quicksave before I started blind experimentation with aerobraking. My first attempt took them too deep...and goodbye, crew! Quickload took me all the way back to Kerbin, just before my transfer burn. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.