[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

Dammit, I have no idea how to build one of these. The rotor keeps falling out. Any help, o lord-king of stock turbines?

Sure, with building bearings, there are these rules to start with:

Rule number one: Never let the wheels of the landing gear clip with the shaft. KSP/Unity don't respect the colliders well when loading, resulting in an immediate jam.

Rule number two: both too wide and too narrow clearance results in power loss. Too narrow means the collider mesh of the shaft pushes the wheels too much up their suspension struts, resulting in power loss. Too wide and the shaft starts too tumble, again pushing the wheels too much up their struts but now with a larger force due to an imbalace.

Rule number three: After first attaching and rotating/offset the landing gears to have the proper clearance with the shaft, launch craft, return to editor and adjust the wheels again. Due to a bug, the first time the location/orientation is not respected by KSP.

Rule number four: Four wheels per bearing is not enough for reliable operation! A shaft of 1.25m requires a minimum of six and a max of 8 wheels.

Additionally, user Kuzzter had the following remarks when he looked at my PO2R:

1. Symmetry on symmetry. Azimech put two (symmetrical) gear bays on each of four posts with mirror symmetry, then put the four posts around the shaft with radial symmetry. This way one can adjust clearance by moving the four (or six, or eight) posts, and keep clearance constant all the way around.

2. Gear bays for thrust bearings, too. There are two wheels at each end of the shaft to keep it from moving axially. I might try this with the wheels impinging on a cone rather than the flat end of the shaft.

3. Use a separator to detach the rotor shaft from the rest of the craft. The craft must start out as one piece, then in operation the rotor and stator have to be two separate pieces. I tried using clampos first, but I suspect the magnetics were interfering with rotation.

4. SPH clearances can be (visually) deceiving. When i looked at the shaft in SPH it appeared there was lots of daylight between the gear wheels and the shaft. In operation, every wheel seemed to be in contact with the shaft all the way around. Good thing this design and SPH 'gizmos' make it easy to tweak clearance (see #1)

Edited by Azimech

Unfortunately I haven't used welding on any of my planes, the reason is I want them to be available to everyone. In the future, I might start doing so.

Using my newest PO4+4RE 217kN engine, this late WW2 plane is quite a performer. It looks a bit like a well known model although that wasn't the primary objective. Work in progress.

34gDBLw.png

nNxRgrN.png

otitlLB.png

your crafts are amazing. not only that the engines are working great, these planes almost fly like the real ones, and the cockpits are historically correct, too. There is so much work in these things. great!

your crafts are amazing. not only that the engines are working great, these planes almost fly like the real ones, and the cockpits are historically correct, too. There is so much work in these things. great!

Thank you!

P47 is released! Check the OP!

High attitudes? You mean an angle close to the direction of flight? That works all right, it's just that acceleration and climb speed suffer. But it's fine for reaching a high top speed at high altitude without overspeeding the engine. For example my P47 has a 6 times stacked prop, each blade has an angle somewhere between 5 and 20 degrees. If you want pulling power, do the opposite but don't be surprised if the top speed is somewhere in the 30m/s range and the engine blows up.

New engine type, threefold symmetry. The TR6R produced 150kN on the first run. That's not wrong at all, compared to my IL8R (168kN) and PO8RE (183kN). I've got an 8 blower producing 217kN, maybe that's the max for this shaft diameter, maybe not. So with this one producing 25kN per blower, there's room for a little improvement.

KSktvdp.png

Ea98nZ2.png

Edited by Azimech

So I refined my engine design a bit. I'm up to ~50% more power on 4 jets than I had previously, and was able to build this;

Javascript is disabled. View full album

K-65 Hyllus (Basically a 2 engine C-130 Hercules)

https://gfycat.com/SolidLawfulGrunion

With a 15 minute fuel load level flight at sea level is ~47m/s, Or cruises in the low 40's with full fuel (~55 minutes of fuel) & a light-ish payload. It's capable of flying on one engine as well, and with a bit of work you can even take off on a single engine with 50% fuel load. Default cargo bay load-outs include up to 5 micro-rovers capable of airdrop, cabin seating for 12 passengers, or even a small aircraft that can deploy from and return to the bay mid-flight. Props are 4 blade (3 segment blades),angled at 60 degrees for increase speed, and spin at 26 rad/s (248.2 RPM or 4.13 RPS) Engines are custom 4 Jet radials designed for compactness.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.