Azimech

[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] 1.4 problems

45 minutes ago, boomchacle said:

Could you send me a link? I've been trying to find another stock one since I started this but I was unable to.

Not 100 percent sure but this might be what Azimech is talking about https://kerbalx.com/klond/supersonic-helicopter

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

@Pds314 That swashplate is incredible... is there any chance you could upload your design so I could build off it? I tried making a 250 ton Osprey but wasn't able to get it fully working and got rather burned out trying to get it to fly in both positions. I also attempted to make a semi-cyclic bearing but that was rather buggy for how much it did. All of this was done before the addition of stock hinges, so I wager it would be possible to do now.

A new and improved version that's more yaw stable with a nicer-looking fuselage and less bulk. Also the swashplate can now be copied and moved and such without disassembling it because it is on a plate.

Also I reduced the rotor diameter on this helicopter because it weighs substantially less and a small, fast-spinning rotor can fling it into the air quite aggressively. No need for large and ungainly 4-long blades.

Warranty void if Jeb not onboard.
https://kerbalx.com/pds314/Swashplate-04

sx0PFNm.png

Edited by Pds314

Man... I can't believe that has no SAS

1 minute ago, Avera9eJoe said:

You'll believe it when you crash it into something lol.

Posted (edited)

Although it's not to say you can't be precise with it. Landing on the top of the Island where the Island Runway is, gracefully enough that no damage was done to the helicopter (I launched from the Island runway itself).

Xk7WXXF.png

Edited by Pds314

Posted (edited)

It can also go at partial throttle in the water, allowing it to maneuver in all directions at reasonably good speeds, while neither taking off nor fully landing in the water and reaching high drag associated with that, and it can use the doors as rescue bays for any stranded skydivers.

IBE4Hh3.png

Or you can be more aggressive. Landing on the Island Runway hanger undamaged within 14 seconds.

1Jplx47.png

Edited by Pds314

Posted (edited)

For another challenge: reduced fuel load version shown.

For the same challenge:

Showing off:

Edited by Pds314

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pds314 said:

It can also go at partial throttle in the water, allowing it to maneuver in all directions at reasonably good speeds, while neither taking off nor fully landing in the water and reaching high drag associated with that, and it can use the doors as rescue bays for any stranded skydivers.

IBE4Hh3.png

Or you can be more aggressive. Landing on the Island Runway hanger undamaged within 14 seconds.

1Jplx47.png

The problems I had with my mega osprey stemmed from instability with forward momentum. If you tilt too far to one side, the change of plane causes it it to start automatically pitching itself back, making it wobble back and forth until eventually it loses altitude and crashes. Because of how heavy the craft weighed this was pretty slow all things considered, but it was pretty much a guaranteed crash once it started. I tried a lot of things to alleviate this (jet powered SAS, semi-cyclic blades via claws, gimballed rotors), but nothing really worked. I have a feeling too that I won't be able to get the RPMs that my old engines got even with the new motors coming out soon. I expect I still will need to use the old blower jet engine type. The limiting factor I was hitting near the end of my tests was the hardcoded RPM limit :D

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Posted (edited)

Well done Pds314I hope more people will start using new incredible features introduced with breaking ground. I think you can reduce parts in your swashplate so it will work even better. 

11 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

This has no SAS too.
And it's perfectly flying.
And it has cargobay capable to carry 8t load..
And it sank under other topics :c
k91BdXwl.png

Edited by IkranMakto

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, IkranMakto said:

Well done Pds314I hope more people will start using new incredible features introduced with breaking ground. I think you can reduce parts in your swashplate so it will work even better. 

This has no SAS too.
k91BdXwl.png

Woah, that looks awesome! Could you link me your post? I'd like to give it a fly if you've shared the craft file too.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

One question too, has anyone tried turning a hinge via engine exhaust? I.E. your standard jet driven props but with hinges instead of decoupling the blades.

14 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

One question too, has anyone tried turning a hinge via engine exhaust? I.E. your standard jet driven props but with hinges instead of decoupling the blades.

I think Klond has? Or someone else maybe?

I know there are people who've made crafts with ye olde methods of propulsion with BG stuff acting as bearings.

Posted (edited)

Gotcha, I might need to try myself. Just using them as bearings would help a ton for action groups and blade angle. Could make it so that with an osprey type craft the blades auto-pitch as the engine rotates too. I have little to no experience with the action window but I might stream later and try to figure it out. I've been dying to rebuild some crafts with the new hinges :)

Best of both worlds with getting ludicrous RPMS with exhaust, but hopefully retaining some strength/stability with hinges.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Woah, that looks awesome! Could you link me your post? I'd like to give it a fly if you've shared the craft file too.

I'll upload a minor craft update later. And maybe kind of guide to swashplates

Comment if you like it please! 

Edited by IkranMakto

4 hours ago, IkranMakto said:

This has no SAS too.
k91BdXwl.png

Nice. I will download and give it a try. Also to cross-reference your design and mine.

Sharing ideas always makes masterful designs :D