[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

10 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Not really, I tested my speed record plane in adjusted Aero and could see it would need quite a bit of adjustment to get the best speed, the first thing is because of the faster speeds the bearing is at it's limit in different places, as compared to stock Aero. I'm 70ms behind you guys in adjusted Aero, I might be even closer in FAR thanks to the streamlining, but the craft would need quite a few changes to get the best out of it.

I'm concentrating more on a stock speed record because it will probably be easier for others to compete against, if I have to use adjusted Aero or FAR for the dogfight challenge then so be it, but I don't think I will specifically tune the speed record for those regimes.

Edit: @Gman_builder @Azimech By the way I am claiming the 1.3.0,1.3.1 stock turboprop speed record in stock Aero and adjusted Aero :0.0: of 115.5ms and 206.6ms respectively, I'm sure it will only stand long enough for you guys to drag your old record holders out and show me my place! :wink:

I'm grabbing my popcorn for this.

11 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

As am I

@Azimech Someone feeling cocky? :wink: 

I don't mind, I've had the speed record for a few years, and I'm more focused on piston engines right now.

In the future I'd like to have a piston engine challenge as well, for boats.

Edited by Azimech

13 hours ago, Azimech said:

I don't mind, I've had the speed record for a few years, and I'm more focused on piston engines right now.

In the future I'd like to have a piston engine challenge as well, for boats.

Hey now, i held it for like 2 days back in 1.0.5. :P 

On 9/12/2017 at 8:45 PM, He_162 said:

I'm grabbing my popcorn for this.

You better. it's on now.

3 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Look at her go!

Puny speed record

Congrats! I knew it wouldn't last long, just thought I would get numbers on the board, is there anything I should know about it? Stock Aero, fuel cheat?

Edited by selfish_meme

4 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Congrats! I knew it wouldn't last long, just thought I would get numbers on the board, is there anything I should know about it? Stock Aero, fuel cheat?

Nothing funny going on here. Just decreased the drag. That's really the only way to get those kind of speeds without going electric.

6 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Nothing funny going on here. Just decreased the drag. That's really the only way to get those kind of speeds without going electric.

Whew! So adjusted aero, if you were a 100ms in front of me in stock aero it would be a tough hill to climb.

46 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Whew! So adjusted aero, if you were a 100ms in front of me in stock aero it would be a tough hill to climb.

Lol, yeah i think thats impossible currently. I'm only 1 m/s ahead of you. The plane bearing hsa a tendency to disintegrate under high torque loads. 

I.E. High airspeed and high prop pitch. I wasn't expecting to get over 200 m/s that run because of that. The kraken gods were in my favor i guess.                                 

New record! Adjusted Aero first

VJXWbA9.png

Stock Aero

v2Er7Rv.png

What autopilot are you using, I got one but its a bit hard to use

Edit: I found Pilot Assistant which looks like what I want

Edit 2: New Speed record, got Karmax Autopilot, that works

Edit 3: Bit of lightening, new stock aero speed

Edited by selfish_meme

WIP: not the first boat propeller but probably the first successful gas turbine/electric motor hybrid ship. Instead of using a gearbox the engine is reversible. Top speed is currently at 9.3m/s but will probably drop as I add more parts and fuel. The engine can be uprated though. And I'm seriously considering adjusting the angled hull part to be straight again.

9ZRHTKU.png

nontQVo.png

n8siQGy.png

13 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

New record! Adjusted Aero first

VJXWbA9.png

Nice! I use Pilot assistant.

From a Lamans perspective i'd assume that un-sweeping the wings would help with stability a little bit, and thus making it faster. Idk tho i haven't flown it. Also i found the most success with less prop blades. The big one work best in a configuration of only 2 for minimum drag and maximum thrust + rpm. I'd suggest trying that out.

27 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

From a Lamans perspective i'd assume that un-sweeping the wings would help with stability a little bit, and thus making it faster. Idk tho i haven't flown it. Also i found the most success with less prop blades. The big one work best in a configuration of only 2 for minimum drag and maximum thrust + rpm. I'd suggest trying that out.

I found Pilot assistant buggy in 1.3.1, like you would set a height and it would not stay set but instead climb, Kramax is an offshoot of Pilot Assistant and it is being maintained while Pilot Assistant isn't, I might try the big blades, but because I try and keep the blades centered to minimize offset forces on the bearing they might not work that well, they would be pretty far out, but we will see.

1 minute ago, selfish_meme said:

I found Pilot assistant buggy in 1.3.1, like you would set a height and it would not stay set but instead climb, Kramax is an offshoot of Pilot Assistant and it is being maintained while Pilot Assistant isn't, I might try the big blades, but because I try and keep the blades centered to minimize offset forces on the bearing they might not work that well, they would be pretty far out, but we will see.

Yeah pilot assistant is really only useful for maintaining a vertical speed and keeping the wings level. Which is all i need it for.

as long as the blades are mirrored properly it shouldnt add any excess torque on the bearing. Only centrifugal pressure. I've never had a issue with blades shooting off though. 

Just now, Gman_builder said:

Yeah pilot assistant is really only useful for maintaining a vertical speed and keeping the wings level. Which is all i need it for.

as long as the blades are mirrored properly it shouldnt add any excess torque on the bearing. Only centrifugal pressure. I've never had a issue with blades shooting off though. 

We will see, my thinking is that hanging the blades out the front makes an unbalanced load on the bearing (at least I have more success when I bring the blades closer to the centre of the bearing) same with engines, so what I tried to do with this craft is minimise overhang, also I have been reinforcing the bearing cage as I found that even these probe bearings can be made to skip and wobble, I guess everything can in KSP.

27 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

We will see, my thinking is that hanging the blades out the front makes an unbalanced load on the bearing (at least I have more success when I bring the blades closer to the centre of the bearing) same with engines, so what I tried to do with this craft is minimise overhang, also I have been reinforcing the bearing cage as I found that even these probe bearings can be made to skip and wobble, I guess everything can in KSP.

Once you have a collider phasing through another and it bounces back, at high enough speeds you'll have an imbalance that keeps feeding itself. Lowering shaft speed helps until the problem is solved.

5 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Wing sweep in KSP is not accounted for at all, the only reason I have them like that is to move the CoL further forward, I use those particular wings because they have a really high lift ratio, if I could get away with one set I would, but the torque would overpower the elevons

I tried the FAT 45's or whatever, the big elevons as blades, 2 got me to around the same speed, 4 gets me close, If I can up the engine torque a bit more I may be able to go faster

Edited by selfish_meme

On 9/15/2017 at 6:32 PM, Azimech said:

Squad has turned on exhaust damage on both the Wheesley and Goliath. This means the Wheesley can be used for helicopters and turboprops with the newest 1.3.1 patch.

Heck yeah

On 9/15/2017 at 10:06 PM, selfish_meme said:

Wing sweep in KSP is not accounted for at all, the only reason I have them like that is to move the CoL further forward, I use those particular wings because they have a really high lift ratio, if I could get away with one set I would, but the torque would overpower the elevons

I tried the FAT 45's or whatever, the big elevons as blades, 2 got me to around the same speed, 4 gets me close, If I can up the engine torque a bit more I may be able to go faster

Wing sweep doesnt effect the aerodynamics, but it does affect the balance. A aircraft with forward swept wings is more unstable than one with straight wings.

The reason i do the things i do never ceases to amaze me.

1000 part quad engine turbo-bomber based on the Messerschmitt Me 264 V1

YPmln7E.png

qlbZLdp.png

First quad to break 100 m/s???

ysdJiDJ.png

67 meter wingspan. Same as my 777. 88 tons. This plane is l a r g e

It also flies on 3 engines

Spoiler

XaxhAeC.jpg

Ub9qBsJ.jpg

tgEVmqZ.jpg

VuSqB4d.jpg

Edited by Gman_builder

6 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Heck yeah

Wing sweep doesnt effect the aerodynamics, but it does affect the balance. A aircraft with forward swept wings is more unstable than one with straight wings.

Only if they bring the CoL in front of the CoG

4 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

The reason i do the things i do never ceases to amaze me.

1000 part quad engine turbo-bomber based on the Messerschmitt Me 264 V1

First quad to break 100 m/s???

67 meter wingspan. Same as my 777. 88 tons. This plane is l a r g e

It also flies on 3 engines

Haha, I was looking at downloading @Columbia's B-17 and fitting my engines to it

5 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Only if they bring the CoL in front of the CoG

Haha, I was looking at downloading @Columbia's B-17 and fitting my engines to it

Oh yeah that'd be dope. Will your engines fit on it though? I'd also be worried about part count (ironically) because the base aircraft is already running high. Adding engines will probably double it, although i dont know the part count of your machines.

56 minutes ago, Cyriac said:

This is my fastest turboprop plane at the moment. It's top speed is ~295 m/s with stock aero. It is heavily inspired by the Thrasher (https://kerbalx.com/JimmyR/Thrasher) , which is actualy 10 m/s faster than my plane, but I still thought I might share it here.

C1CgZ4Y.png

Ch4E7bG.png

Craft download: https://kerbalx.com/Cyriac/Amiata-4

Nice, and welcome to the forum!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.