[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

Wow just read the last few pages and man there are some cool ideas in there, i personally have only tried to make a helicopter (and have yet to make a working one) but it seems that they are not maneuverable enough to be useful, let alone practical. I really do like the ideas and it seems that people might be close to making a very functional helicopter, cant wait!

Wow just read the last few pages and man there are some cool ideas in there, i personally have only tried to make a helicopter (and have yet to make a working one) but it seems that they are not maneuverable enough to be useful, let alone practical. I really do like the ideas and it seems that people might be close to making a very functional helicopter, cant wait!

Err, I see your new man. Stock helis have been made for years man. Do a search. Azimech is on a grand quest to make them more realistic but KSP is not happy about it sadly.

Yea i know stock helis have been around forever, and i have seen some of the designs, but for me they have all been kinda nonfunctional and fairly uncontrollable. But it seems like some people are close to making a somewhat reliable and controllable helicopter, and that is what i meant.

Plus i am just new to the forums, i have been playing ksp for like 2 years

Edited by Bubbadevlin

Yea i know stock helis have been around forever, and i have seen some of the designs, but for me they have all been kinda nonfunctional and fairly uncontrollable. But it seems like some people are close to making a somewhat reliable and controllable helicopter, and that is what i meant.

Plus i am just new to the forums, i have been playing ksp for like 2 years

They have man, Ive tested a few last year. Also one this year that was a chinook, it was controllable and easy to fly. Like I said man, do a search you will be amazed.

Well, I tried to continue developing that 2-spool fan, this time making it slightly shorter and with 2 actual spools, but still using the "Spark" engine (why, Squad, why?), whilst waiting for the new 0.6538392832-whatever-metre engine(I can never remember:P). Think I'll wait until the wheel and jet engine overhaul.

In the meantime, some pics of the Fan(terrible)Jet:

Issues arose before I even started the thing...

Yyluk1Z.png

The internal workings just spill out onto the tarmac...

yE0JljA.png

This one's gonna take some cleaning up...

EbngPsc.png

Second attempt, this time without the blades (you can see the 48-7s). Still doesn't spin, just levitates around weirdly:

okh6tTl.png

So yeah, building ducted fans in a game who's physics are famed for being broken isn't the easiest thing.:P

Mmmmmmm, those new 1.1 models look oh, so cool!:cool: Also, are all those dishes and things that were mentioned a while back going to be in 1.1?

Well, I tried to continue developing that 2-spool fan, this time making it slightly shorter and with 2 actual spools, but still using the "Spark" engine (why, Squad, why?), whilst waiting for the new 0.6538392832-whatever-metre engine(I can never remember:P). Think I'll wait until the wheel and jet engine overhaul.

In the meantime, some pics of the Fan(terrible)Jet:

Issues arose before I even started the thing...

http://i.imgur.com/Yyluk1Z.png

The internal workings just spill out onto the tarmac...

http://i.imgur.com/yE0JljA.png

This one's gonna take some cleaning up...

http://i.imgur.com/EbngPsc.png

Second attempt, this time without the blades (you can see the 48-7s). Still doesn't spin, just levitates around weirdly:

http://i.imgur.com/okh6tTl.png

So yeah, building ducted fans in a game who's physics are famed for being broken isn't the easiest thing.:P

Mmmmmmm, those new 1.1 models look oh, so cool!:cool: Also, are all those dishes and things that were mentioned a while back going to be in 1.1?

you got a craft file of that I'd love to have a nose. Are the fan blades directly connected to the girder because that can led to physics issues unless you use a ton of struts.

Hi Azimech and All, and congrat's for the excellents posts :)

I love Turboprops and copters too !

Just tried to make something stock with a kind of turboshaft like you in ksp 1.04, really hard... unable to take off :(

But with an idea of my son, i put the Jets directly on the rotor, and i've got something flying !!!

10 mn of fuel, just... flying up and down lol, extremely (too much) stable...

The craft: Fun JetCopter.craft

Here are 3 pics just for fun :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Fly safe with Val :)

Edited by astrobond

I'm glad you're happy with it astrobond ... but I invented the turboshaft engines because I didn't like jet- or rocket engines mounted on rotorblades :-P

Anyway ... I'm very happy because I did it: first flight of a 100% stock turboshaft in 1.0.4! It's an updated of my co-axial powerplant!

sP3sZUl.png

I'm glad you're happy with it astrobond ... but I invented the turboshaft engines because I didn't like jet- or rocket engines mounted on rotorblades :-P

Anyway ... I'm very happy because I did it: first flight of a 100% stock turboshaft in 1.0.4! It's an updated of my co-axial powerplant!

http://i.imgur.com/sP3sZUl.png

LOL Azimech, sorry to show you my "rotor mounted engines", i was just happy to lift-off xD

But i agree, horrible to fly, and not a real copter :)

BTW CONGRATS for your first flight of a 100% stock turboshaft in 1.0.4!!!!

At least we now know this is possible :)

Will try to improve my stock turboshaft...

Fly safe with Val :)

Soon ready for download!

Yeah it looks weird, but that's not the point.

Easy to control, no retreating blade stall so it's very safe.

Breakthrough! This coaxial magically lost 114 parts and has only 293 left!

Edited by Azimech

Soon ready for download!

Yeah it looks weird, but that's not the point.

Easy to control, no retreating blade stall so it's very safe.

Breakthrough! This coaxial magically lost 114 parts and has only 293 left!

WOW just.... incredible ! I have played a little with your CTR3, that is excellent !!! :)

CONGRAT's again Azimech ;)

Oh excellent! I'd like to see how you mastered it. Did you tweak the turbine blades or the bearing wheels etc. I've been trying to get my Chinooks to fly again but with no luck as I'm not sure which part is failing. It might be a physics issue with my blades clipping into things as Erasmusguy has suggested, (something I haven't thought of).

Thanks, guys!

Oh excellent! I'd like to see how you mastered it. Did you tweak the turbine blades or the bearing wheels etc. I've been trying to get my Chinooks to fly again but with no luck as I'm not sure which part is failing. It might be a physics issue with my blades clipping into things as Erasmusguy has suggested, (something I haven't thought of).

I used my old coaxial design from February and modified it. I tweaked everything, took me many hours.

Try to save weight, double the amount of blowers, decrease rotor blade angle (or the blades will break), use more struts, etc.

Blades clipping? You mean the blades hit something? I'd like to try your most recent Chinook experiment.

Blades clipping? You mean the blades hit something? I'd like to try your most recent Chinook experiment.

I meant the shaft blades that catch the jet wash. Looking at your design I'm not sure if that is a problem. Yours seems to work so well maybe because you shaft blades are a lot further away from the centre of rotation which I guess makes it easier to turn. I would imagine that creates more torque although the whole setup should spin slower, but it doesn't. Not sure if that makes sense. :) Perhaps compact bearing designs won't work any more?

I think that's a safe bet, required torque is much too low with the smaller designs. Until 1.1 arrives (and I really hope the 0.625 jet has a decent static thrust!)

- - - Updated - - -

I removed the smoke again!

qNKw8ho.gif

Much better!

I meant the shaft blades that catch the jet wash. Looking at your design I'm not sure if that is a problem. Yours seems to work so well maybe because you shaft blades are a lot further away from the centre of rotation which I guess makes it easier to turn. I would imagine that creates more torque although the whole setup should spin slower, but it doesn't. Not sure if that makes sense. :) Perhaps compact bearing designs won't work any more?

I had that happen last night when I was tinkering with mine because I found peak "add moar boosters", it was destroying that part of my shaft. The simple fix for mine was to strut the turbine shaft's blades to each other.

I'm pleased with this engine and chopper in general. It ain't a pretty crate but it's a steady performer. Granted, infinite fuel after 19 minutes of flight, but after almost an hour it's flying at 3550m. Some parts almost at their temperature maxed out, but steady.

RMyg8g9.png

PogdqI1.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.