[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

But here's something special for you guys & gals. For the first time ever:

Sounds glorious! How was it done? Change to the stock jet noise?

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Sounds glorious! How was it done? Change to the stock jet noise?

No, I use rover wheels running on the turbine shafts. Those wheels use the mod "Rover Wheel Sounds". I just created a new part, wrote the config and ripped a sample from a game.

A stock turboprop cargo airplane able to maintain 100m/s in level flight, with unmodified aero. I've done it.

ISbRD6o.png

dstRe0r.png

q3NMvRf.png

Specs: 403 parts, 4 Wheesley blowers per engine.

Edited by Azimech

Hey, can someone replicate a test for me?

I hear there was a time where the grabber could be tricked upside down to spin.  I got this 1.4 grabber to go almost go 360 in a sphere.  I don't think it will point exactly straight down, but it'll go everywhere else.

nqaxxjB.jpg5lZluWI.jpg

Stage so a probe core and a reaction wheel to drop onto an armed grabber.  Then time warp just a bit then set Free Pivot.  With SAS on unit should 360 and spin too.  Might have to Control from Here, can't remember.

Old bearing has returned?

Edited by klond

gVbSTEl.png

After my big pride in breaking the 100m/s barrier in stock aero, I've done lots of tinkering. The Alastor 3 now has a top speed of 152m/s in stock aero, 250 modified aero. It can climb at a 45 degree angle and climb to 8000m in five minutes. A few versions back I've tested it with 9000 units of ore, that's a 82t. payload. Right now it's cruising at 50% throttle and 3200m to measure its range. Going swell, the speed is 107m/s and after 300km it's used 1/3 of the fuel. Not bad for an STOL.

ztJJf9Z.png

suZFsDo.png

aTuHFTT.png

Based on the Alastor 3 I've also made the Alastor 2 and Alastor 1. The Alastor 2 has a top speed of 133m/s, the Alastor 1 goes 105m/s.

hgko9tA.png

kbkekfU.png

13 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

This guy builds some really cool turboprops, I learned a lot from one of his 

[......video.....]

@selfish_meme I totally agree. That Pelican is a sturdy sexy speedy machine! I too learned a lot from that ship and have made my only currently surviving Turboprop since the 1.4 update. This is the KRP-140 and is basically the KRP-99 with a 1.4 compatible engine swap. Performance is slightly increased in the 140 since the bearing is completely housed and not adding any drag, just like JimmyR's Pelican's engine. You can hit 100m/s+ in level flight at sea level.

Kermansky KRP-140 Scrapper

zSXJKOs.jpg

CluelessFocusedKestrel-max-14mb.gif

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Interesting, but I'm still not sure what I'm looking at.

My bad. I forgot to put on a propeller so it doesn't look as clear as I intended.

It's a prototype movable constant velocity joint that, with some work, I hope could be used in a tiltorotor similar to the V-280 Valor.

Bell-V-280-Valor-The-Future-of-Vertical-

The idea is that the turboshaft engines will remain attached to the main craft continuously throughout the transition from vertical to horizontal flight, and there will be no docking ports connecting and disconnecting at the end. That way you always have control over the engine thrust and don't have to worry about the engines suddenly cutting out when a docking port connects.

Update, Pics.

PGOwwPY.jpg

ntPG6Z6.jpg

Overall the thing is a lot smoother now. I however need to figure out what's causing the rpm to take a hit when the thing tilts past 25 degrees. Once that's fixed I plan to rejigger the airbrake jack system to accomodate two stacked claws for about 80 degrees of motion.

I wish I could do the thing using timewarp to trick a single claw into freely rotating to whatever angle I want (I could do 90 degree tilt then without much change to this thing), but for some reason that seems to break the bearings whether I have decoupled the parts in them or not. :/

By the way does anyone have stats on the default gimbal of the claw? I think it's 40 degrees because my joint starts glitching out when I go past that, but it might just be something else going on.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Very ingenious, @EpicSpaceTroll139, I love it! Unfortunately I don't have answers yet about the claw, did little testing with it.

Maybe it could be used for something more mundane as well: a driveshaft for a vehicle :-)

By the way, @klond, remember the limit of 7rad/s some of our contraptions had? I've discovered this to be the case when an RCS ball is the root part of a decoupled assembly.

Edited by Azimech

User @Avera9eJoe wants to build a gigantic Osprey-like cargo plane.

I've started designing a totally new engine about and hour ago and good news: using different bearing materials I now have a test engine running using 6 Wheesley blowers running at 111kN.

The propeller has a static thrust output of 1710 kN!

yBG0fJG.png

As we saw earlier the law of conservation of misery still applies yet again: the CoM of the large & very large landing gear is offset from its collider mesh. This means I'll have to balance it. At first I thought of using an RCS ball but apparently it adds its mass to the part it's connected to. This explains why they won't expand at higher revs. So the only way to balance this is to use a part which expands - this means I can only balance the engine for one particular speed.

Using double the amount of landing gear to cancel the forces out doesn't work: they hate to be in the same bearing. Oh well.

4 minutes ago, Azimech said:

As we saw earlier the law of conservation of misery still applies yet again: the CoM of the large & very large landing gear is offset from its collider mesh. This means I'll have to balance it. At first I thought of using an RCS ball but apparently it adds its mass to the part it's connected to. This explains why they won't expand at higher revs. So the only way to balance this is to use a part which expands - this means I can only balance the engine for one particular speed.

Using double the amount of landing gear to cancel the forces out doesn't work: they hate to be in the same bearing. Oh well.

Why not just use two of the large or very large landing gear using 2x symmetry? That way they cancel eachother out at all speeds.

1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Why not just use two of the large or very large landing gear using 2x symmetry? That way they cancel eachother out at all speeds.

Uhm ... I wrote that in my previous post, you might have missed that ;-)

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Uhm ... I wrote that in my previous post, you might have missed that ;-)

Oh... oops.  :confused::blush:

Hmmm... but what if you place two landing gear, but offset one forward or backward out of the bearing? 

Or just make the front and back bearings have landing gear oriented opposite from eachother?

You would still get some vibration, but at least there would be less. Depending on the way you did it, you might be able to eliminate most of the vibration, though it could put some bending stress on the propshaft.

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Oh... oops.  :confused::blush:

Hmmm... but what if you place two landing gear, but offset one forward or backward out of the bearing? 

Or just make the front and back bearings have landing gear oriented opposite from eachother?

You would still get some vibration, but at least there would be less. Depending on the way you did it, you might be able to eliminate most of the vibration, though it could put some bending stress on the propshaft.

I could experiment with that. At the moment I'm using steel plates slightly offset.

Well, at least this thing flies. Not very reliable compared to most of my other craft but hey, it's a new engine.

8SFSkpT.png

QqzVnOZ.png

Currently got the joint tilting up to 45 degrees. I think it can theoretically go to 80 degrees, but I need to figure out how to make the joint stop favoring one of the claws. A couple of millimeters in change of position of the frame hinge bearing is the difference between it favoring the forward claw and favoring the back claw.

The problem with the joint favoring one of the claws is that when that when it reaches its gimbal limit it starts causing a lot of friction and jitter, instead of smoothly allowing the other claw to take up the slack. Not really sure why.

If anyone wants I can share the craft file.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.