[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

Just now, life_on_venus said:

Yep, I think Azimech said a while back he got more stability that way? And Azimech congrats on the squadcast. Klond's piston engine was cool to see as well.

I'm actually in Spain at the moment so haven't had much time to test my engine :P

I've been following this thread for a while and i don't remember that. Seems like it would just lead to a more complicated frame assembly. It would need more struts and a higher overall part count. Though i guess the wider "shaft" might reduce vibration. Either way i've taken a break from turboprops. I have accomplished most of what i set out to do. Make a effective engine and beat the speed record. Which i did twice. 

I'm gonna only be giving advice in this thread for the foreseeable future as i will focus my work efforts on my Star Trek replicas for the great star trek bandwagon of 2016 thread that i started. Plus school just started so i have way less time for KSP anyway.

2 minutes ago, erasmusguy said:

working on a gearbox as well but thats proving to be a lot harder than I thought...

IAowptn.png

I was going to use this to change gear but its rubbish :(

One of the hardest things to do in stock I believe ... ever tried planetary?

Just now, Azimech said:

One of the hardest things to do in stock I believe ... ever tried planetary?

I was hoping this way would be easier but its looking like planetary is the best option. Its going to be hard to find a way to to reliably stop the gears I think. 

1 minute ago, erasmusguy said:

I was hoping this way would be easier but its looking like planetary is the best option. Its going to be hard to find a way to to reliably stop the gears I think. 

Two years ago I made these video's, using mods, including my own. Who knows ... there's a lot more possible using stock than those days.

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Two years ago I made these video's, using mods, including my own. Who knows ... there's a lot more possible using stock than those days.

Very nice! I'm going to try a planetary gearbox you have convinced me! 

14 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

I hope you guys realize that any sort car that has a functional transmission will be several thousand parts and have probably 10 separate that have to work in perfect unison.

How are yall gonna make that happen. 

Like how all cars work: magic.

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I've been working on a stock cyclic mechanism since KOS has been proving hard to work with. It's still a WIP but it is turning out to be quite compact, and so far all its parts have their COM on the rotation axis, so none of them should get flung off... in theory.

2016-08-24%2008-18-52.png

Wow! Would really like to see it working!

I've decided that when I get home I'll try to create an engine with a "normal" configuration (fixed wheels and rotating shaft) because I couldn't get a thrust bearing working with my other design. It'll probably be a cage design for simplicity. From there on? Make a huge airframe to put it in :wink:

I've been making progress on that cyclic mechanism I showed earlier. I took it for a static control run today. 2016-08-26%2008-20-34.pngAs soon as I decoupled the parts, before it even started rotating, it spat out the linkage module, which dragged the swashplate with it. This may not seem like a good start, but considering the ruggedness that the freely pitching blades showed afterwards, (only coming off at high rpm, and apparently only due to my flimsy mounting of the upper shaft bearing), I believe this thing has a great chance of working. 

Things left to do include:

Tweak the internal bearings to prevent the linkage module from being kraken bait.

Redo main shaft bearings for sturdiness.

Connect lower swashplate to servos aka control surfaces.

And fix any other problems that will undoubtedly present themselves during testing.

As requested @Azimech here is my turboprop, the Jurbo 4 (download here). It has taken monumental tenacity and effort from me to produce this - I have tried several times to create these engines/craft in stock KSP and consistently failed. My own success here is, frankly, a mystery to me!

I'd really appreciate any advice, tips or modifications that improve performance. There are so many variables to consider, I'm not really sure what my strengths or weaknesses are at all, and most things I try to adjust (e.g. prop pitch) just make things worse. So far I'm mostly aware of the airframe being too nose-heavy, but my gut feeling is that counterweighting will only make it heavier and less powerful.

XX8XczP.jpg

HWq857q.jpg

QjKvSdV.jpg

Buzzing the tower never felt this awesome!

Edited by The_Rocketeer

2 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

As requested @Azimech here is my turboprop, the Jurbo 4 (download here). It has taken monumental tenacity and effort from me to produce this - I have tried several times to create these engines/craft in stock KSP and consistently failed. My own success here is, frankly, a mystery to me!

I'd really appreciate any advice, tips or modifications that improve performance. There are so many variables to consider, I'm not really sure what my strengths or weaknesses are at all, and most things I try to adjust (e.g. prop pitch) just make things worse. So far I'm mostly aware of the airframe being too nose-heavy, but my gut feeling is that counterweighting will only make it heavier and less powerful.

XX8XczP.jpg

HWq857q.jpg

QjKvSdV.jpg

Buzzing the tower never felt this awesome!

I've downloaded it and will take a look tomorrow. Right now my diesel catamaran is doing an endurance test.

On 09/06/2016 at 3:42 AM, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Ok I can't seem to figure out what the heck is making this thing fall apart... Anyone who can figure this out wins many cookies. Anyone who can figure out how to make it not instantly fall apart wins [many cookies] x 2.

Mechanism that really wants to fall apart

Hey man,

I downloaded you craft and had a look.  I have solved the issue with it falling apart when separating. I action grouped the docking port to separate at the same time as the stack separators and I noticed some imperfections in your positioning of the parts in the thermometer hinges you used. There are two antennas below the first probe core surrounded by three thermometers each. You placed the antennas separately and didn't line them up quite straight with each other. You should offset them into each other to make sure they are in the exact same position. I also moved the thermometers out a little as they where too close and catching on the antennas. I also adjusted a few of the other antennas and thermometers and it is much more stable now.

I will give you the version I changed here so you can keep working on it and I will continue to look at this too as I can see a few different things I could improve with your use of my thermo hinges and it still falls apart when in operation sometimes.

Can you PM me an email address i can send the craft file to? I don't want to post your craft on my KerbalX page. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.