[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

At the moment I don't have much time for turboprops, although I promised to take a look at Jurbo 4 so I will.

Today I made this one. Runs on it's own power.

iaDMeeE.gif

Is that stock propeler - piston engine? Seems really good :D btw is the backround bugged or what?

1 minute ago, Brownie352 said:

Is that stock propeler - piston engine? Seems really good :D btw is the backround bugged or what?

Nope, although mechanical piston engines are possible in stock, the high mass and high friction of stock rocket/airplane/anything parts make them horribly inefficient and unable to power an airplane. What you see is my own mod, soon to be released.

What you see is the wireframe function of the mod Scatterer.

Guys i searched on youtube for turboprop tutorials but havent found any so if you want this thread to get people around you probably wanna make a turboprop tutorial on youtube  so it can get some hype like mrnuclearturkey  electric prop tutorial :wink:

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Nope, although mechanical piston engines are possible in stock, the high mass and high friction of stock rocket/airplane/anything parts make them horribly inefficient and unable to power an airplane. What you see is my own mod, soon to be released.

What you see is the wireframe function of the mod Scatterer.

Cool seems you put a lot of effort in this btw how s your fps with this engine ?

6 minutes ago, Brownie352 said:

Guys i searched on youtube for turboprop tutorials but havent found any so if you want this thread to get people around you probably wanna make a turboprop tutorial on youtube  so it can get some hype like mrnuclearturkey  electric prop tutorial :wink:

Cool seems you put a lot of effort in this btw how s your fps with this engine ?

A video tutorial is being planned but might take a while.

FPS with this engine? Bad. It's 368 parts. I'm glad KSP 1.2 will improve FPS some more.

5 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Hey man,

I downloaded you craft and had a look.  I have solved the issue with it falling apart when separating...

...Can you PM me an email address i can send the craft file to? I don't want to post your craft on my KerbalX page. :)

That's awesome that you fixed it! :D I actually suspected those very hinges you talked about. I tried to adjust them but I guess I adjusted them the wrong way because I just made it fall apart faster!

PM'd you a good email. Anyways if I can get this working in a heli you will definitely be getting credit. :)

36 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

That's awesome that you fixed it! :D I actually suspected those very hinges you talked about. I tried to adjust them but I guess I adjusted them the wrong way because I just made it fall apart faster!

PM'd you a good email. Anyways if I can get this working in a heli you will definitely be getting credit. :)

Well I have only fixed the thing breaking when staged. It still likes to fall apart, but it's a start! 

I will send the craft file tomorrow mate, if that's cool.

Edited by Majorjim!

5 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

@Azimech don't suppose u've had a look at my turboprop yet? I've been trying to refine and half the time the engine just explodes :( don't understand why, seems completely arbitrary. I also tried using wheel-based bearings but they seem extremely unstable. Perhaps 1.2 will help with that.

I apologize, indeed I've been busy with various things. I expect to have some more time today, it's 1:31AM while I'm typing this so you could send me a PM at around 5PM to remind me. Chaotic and such ... you wouldn't want to see my house ... and really evade my shed ;-)

As there haven't been many turboprops here in a while, let me post one :P

http://imgur.com/a/Ajv9v

It's my first working one and it's very, very weak. It does however work fairly reliably, so if you need a dependable plane that can't fly it's not a bad choice :wink:

Edited by life_on_venus
Removed embedded Imgur album as it wouldn't work

@Azimech I finally put together a new bearing assembly that didn't explode on me! XD

I've got a new engine and airframe that each work great, but the motor needs a total rebuild to cut back on size and part count - watch this space :)

P.S. has anybody made a blower/reaction wheel hybrid yet? Seems like a decent WEP concept analog to me :wink:

7 hours ago, life_on_venus said:

Rocketeer, what? A reaction wheel engine with a small turbine section to give more takeoff power? Might be fun. I'll see if I can upload some daytime pics of my turboprop later EpicSpaceTroll, I have to go out now and I'm working in 2 hours.

Actually I was thinking more of a jet turbine engine with a battery/reaction wheel booster (more limited boost time, more realistic like WEP/Water-Ethanol injection), but sure I guess u could do that.

2 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Actually I was thinking more of a jet turbine engine with a battery/reaction wheel booster (more limited boost time, more realistic like WEP/Water-Ethanol injection), but sure I guess u could do that.

In March 2015 I built an engine with additional rocket blowers. Just like MW50 it's dead weight until & after you use it. But since KSP 1.0 jet engines lose power far sooner when climbing while rocket engines become more efficient so it actually starts to make sense.

Edited by Azimech

After watching EJs stream a few nights ago with him making a co-axial helicopter, I got the urge to mess around with these stock axles and came up with this quad-copter.

m2NGMbC.png

Uses four stayputnik bearings with a bunch panther engines blowing on them.  The caps to the bearings are SAS reaction wheels, so they can spin up on their own.. just not fast enough to get off the ground by electric alone.  The panthers can spin them up fast enough to get off the ground without using the reaction wheels.  Although it looks pretty ugly it as pretty fun to build!   But flies a bit.. squirrelly, tends to want to pitch up.  I guess the center of mass needs to move forward?  Not sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.