[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

4 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

The blades on my driveshaft keep overheating. How can i solve this?

Increase distance between blowers and blades and/or choose a different set of parts with a higher max temperature and/or install a cooling system. 

On 5/7/2018 at 4:07 AM, Azimech said:

Increase distance between blowers and blades and/or choose a different set of parts with a higher max temperature and/or install a cooling system. 

Installed cooling system already and still runs hot. Cannot change distance cause EER hasnt been updated yet. Blades are most thermally efficient part i could find

2 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Installed cooling system already and still runs hot. Cannot change distance cause EER hasnt been updated yet. Blades are most thermally efficient part i could find

EER? Do you mean EEX? I'm running 3.3.19.3 and have no problems running it in 1.4.3. AFAIK it has been updated. Can you link the craft file?

15 hours ago, Azimech said:

EER? Do you mean EEX? I'm running 3.3.19.3 and have no problems running it in 1.4.3. AFAIK it has been updated. Can you link the craft file?

I was using Editor Extensions Redux before and since 1.4.3 it has not been working. If there is a better plugin that works in this current build please shoot me a link.

14 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

I was using Editor Extensions Redux before and since 1.4.3 it has not been working. If there is a better plugin that works in this current build please shoot me a link.

Did you install the dependencies? 

On 5/9/2018 at 9:39 PM, Gman_builder said:

Well, re-download and re-install, and if the problem persists, it must be a mod conflict, because I can confirm editor extensions redux has a 1.4.3 version that works without issues.

Rune. Hope you solve the issue!

15 hours ago, Rune said:

Well, re-download and re-install, and if the problem persists, it must be a mod conflict, because I can confirm editor extensions redux has a 1.4.3 version that works without issues.

Rune. Hope you solve the issue!

Would you mind shooting me a link? I could be using a outdated version, as i haven't seen a dedicated 1.4.3 version show up yet.

7 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Would you mind shooting me a link? I could be using a outdated version, as i haven't seen a dedicated 1.4.3 version show up yet.

I'm using version 3.3.19.3, which you can get from spacedock. It's good for any 1.4.x.

Rune. You must be having one of those 'human factor' issues. Happens to the best of us.

1 hour ago, Gman_builder said:

Ill uninstall and reinstall to see if that fixes it. Thanks though!

You're welcome! Make sure to also reinstall clickthrough blocker, it might be that dependency that is screwing with you.

Rune. I myself can't build without that mod, so I feel you.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:41 PM, Gman_builder said:

Believe it or not I found parachutes accepting quite a bit of heat, might work if you haven't tried these.

• 4 weeks later...

Working remake of my old work. The helicopter that has tailrotor and mainblade with rotorhead on it.

It can move but it's won't fly. (Mechanics of rotorhead is too heavy)

Well still it's looks great I think.

rHUou8X.png

M1fW1Q9.png

11 hours ago, seiryu said:

Working remake of my old work. The helicopter that has tailrotor and mainblade with rotorhead on it.

It can move but it's won't fly. (Mechanics of rotorhead is too heavy)

Well still it's looks great I think.

rHUou8X.png

M1fW1Q9.png

Glad you're still working on stuff.  Nice to hear from you again.

On 4/1/2018 at 6:55 AM, Azimech said:

While the shaft is slowing down I can get a very short glimpse of what kind of thrust it can withstand. And I've seen values of 4500kN!

So if you're in need of a gigantic bearing for low speed applications like building a mining dump truck, this is what you'll have to build.

Interesting! Can you give more detail on exactly what's going on with this type of joint? I'm trying to make a turboprop with around 5500 kN of thrust, but have been unsuccessful. I figured out that my problem is the joint that I'm using. The standard stayputnik and girder joint has serviced me up to 4600 kN, but I've reached the limit of the joint's effectiveness.

Despite increasing the number of blowers I'm getting massively disproportionate increases in thrust, and the joint has become quite ustable even with the addition of numerous struts. This joint might just be the solution!

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

Finally took some time to do some Turbo Stuff again. Been messing around with an old engine I built. I am using LY-05 landing gear and some Radiator Panels for bearings. At the moment it's holding up but speed is not too good, (gotta start somewhere) :D

H6LU6Iv.png

Wn11yfz.png

Got back into making a new hopefully better engine for a Laythe Heli., complete with timewarp friendly rotor reattachment (done by having a claw gently nuzzle the main blowed on bit). Static tests have shown good numbers. 2 panther blowers on dry produce approximately 240-250 kn of thrust from the engine. When in wet mode thrust increases to 400 kn.

t87SOE8.png

4woBm57.png

I'm wondering if anyone has maybe any more suggestions looking at it to help improve the thrust? Radial Speed is on the low side, not sure how much I can do about that without increasing the diameter of the part the blowers blow on and/or fiddling with the blade angles.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:11 PM, qzgy said:

<snip>

I'm wondering if anyone has maybe any more suggestions looking at it to help improve the thrust? Radial Speed is on the low side, not sure how much I can do about that without increasing the diameter of the part the blowers blow on and/or fiddling with the blade angles.

Have you tried different length blades? Sometimes shorter blades can spin faster and get more lift than long blades, but other times longer blades work better. I don't know what length is best though.

Without increasing the turbine diameter though I'm not sure how much the lift can be increased.

I believe on KerbalX I saw a glitched claw being used as a 360 bearing, allowing jets on the rotor to be throttled. Perhaps a tip jet heli might be worthwhile on Laythe, assuming the gyroscopic effects can be dealt with?

Dunno

My SSTO helicopter works on Laythe but only if I increase the blade angle somewhat. Which means you need a probe core and a rotor made from control surfaces. Testing with changing blade angle while running surely is a fine way to see the effects @qzgy.

Besides, while you need a lot more air intakes, the Wheesley's efficiency really dominates.

Edited by Azimech

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.