Devnote Tuesdays: The Greener Pastures Edition

SQUAD

Oh man, another CM leaving, that makes three so far.

Captains come and go, but the ship keeps on sailing.

And a fine captain he was indeed.

/salute

Felipe (HarvesteR):Wing surfaces placed inside (closed) bays won’t function, neither will parachutes, RCS blocks, solar panels, air intakes or science experiments which must be performed in an atmosphere.

Especially the solar panels seemed to have been impossible to mod in this regard, looking forward to this nice little addition towards realism and gameplay dispair! :D

Daniel (danRosas):Same thing with the female version of the Kerbals, needs to be approved inside the engine, to move forward with the implementation. On the other hand, we’re considering making some adjustments to the production schedule for the buildings, in order to give them more priority for now.

Careful, you might give the impression that girbals are going to be delayed for another update - maybe that is the reason Rowsdower ran away?! :wink:

Just wanted to add my share of rumor-spreading like regex does on the next one. :sticktongue:

Max (Maxmaps): This week’s been all about working closely with our collaborators to make sure their parts of the update are delivered in time. Aerodynamics is now in QA and the Refueling system will be soon to follow. I’ve also been neck deep in business meetings regarding the general running of our Studio and planning for the future.

Best positive guess: Squad the game studio will get more independence from Squad the marketing company?

Rogelio (Roger): Last week I told you about doing an image that will appear in game, I’ve been playing around with some ideas, and modeling some assets to make the image composition. The new spacesuit is already modeled and textured, now Dan is rigging it, we’ll show it .as soon as it’s finished.

Are we still talking about a new spacesuit for the animation videos or ingame now?

to make sure things go as smoothly as possible until we can get a new CM drilled in the routines.

He will be given a drill, be sure of that! :cool:

Wait, WAIT, mach effects? You just said MACH EFFECTS?

The white streaming "air" at high speeds, no structural disintegrations I assume. :wink:

Wait, WAIT, mach effects? You just said MACH EFFECTS?

wait what

Let me read those dev notes again..

"Mike (Mu): It’s been a week of fixing bugs and expanding the drag system. Some great responses/feedback from the QA team about it all. The design for re-entry and mach effects is coming along nicely too but my main focus has been performance and stability of the drag systems. "

Woo! (Also, reentry is coming along as well.)

Fare thee well Rowsdower, a steady hand on the tiller you have been and I wish calm waters and clear skys before you

Wear the fireproof britches and troll-proof hide you've earned on the front lines here with pride

HarvesteR: How will the shielding part of the aero update work, does it occlude based on colliders, mesh, or will there be additional .mu objects specific to aero which are checked somehow?

Mike (Mu): Will the updated mach system actually riff off, well, the M/MA number, will it generate stuff like wingtip vortices and the leading edge condensation vortex?

Daniel (danRosas): Are all the animations being upgraded/ported to the Mechanim system, the surface chatter regarding Unity and networking suggests this might be desirable, if not necessary for multiplayer? Otherwise, did you see this Kerbal rig that Zuexs made?

Jim (Romfarer): How many 'concerns' are being checked per vessel, and can these concern checks be toggled on/off or otherwise consulted on call, do they come up like (or in) the 'i' button which goes orange when you exceed your VAB/Launchpad specs for example?

Kasper (KasperVld): Good luck at the deep end of the pool in which you suddenly find yourself Kasper!

Edited by NoMrBond
spelling

Wing surfaces placed inside (closed) bays won’t function, neither will parachutes, RCS blocks, solar panels, air intakes or science experiments which must be performed in an atmosphere. To get those to work again, you will have to open the bays first. These parts which were mostly just for show so far should now become a much more important (and useful) consideration when building.
RCS in cargo bays not working is interesting. Is that just going to an "If in cargo bay, then not working" fudge, or will RCS thrust actually be checked for being blocked like engine thrust is?

Also, I hope it's open to modders using the stock functionality what aspects a cargo bay does and doesn't shield. Someone might want to make a glass cargo bay, that solar panels would still work inside of.

I gotta stop being busy on Tuesday nights. I used to be here right as these were posted and now I can't barely get here even 2 hours later!

I wonder what the whole thing about wings being inside cargo bays not working until the bays are open means. Could you put a bunch of wings inside a cargo bay, be cruising along at 100m/s, open the cargo bay, and instantly have lift? That doesn't sound very intuitive to me :D

I gotta stop being busy on Tuesday nights. I used to be here right as these were posted and now I can't barely get here even 2 hours later!

I wonder what the whole thing about wings being inside cargo bays not working until the bays are open means. Could you put a bunch of wings inside a cargo bay, be cruising along at 100m/s, open the cargo bay, and instantly have lift? That doesn't sound very intuitive to me :D

I think he's just demonstrating that things in cargo bays won't do squat.

In any case, the new lift system should stop that.

Ted (Ted): Additionally, I’ve been working closely with RoverDude and Arsonide to support the development of their respective features for the next update. Things are looking great on their end and some of you may already have caught a glimpse of the Resource implementation thus far in last week’s Squadcast.

I've only been stopping by once a week to see what's up with KSP lately, but what's this RoverDude feature that's being included in release? I hadn't heard about that. Is it just Regolith or something more?

EDIT: And of course I want to add my thanks to Rowsdower. This is one of the best communities on the web, and a lion's share of the credit goes to you. Good luck with what comes next!

I'm sad to hear Rowsdower go. I wish you the best of luck Rowsdower. :(

I've only been stopping by once a week to see what's up with KSP lately, but what's this RoverDude feature that's being included in release? I hadn't heard about that. Is it just Regolith or something more?

RoverDude is a user on the forums...that made Regolith...:P

RoverDude is a user on the forums...that made Regolith...:P

Right. Just curious which of RoverDude's many mods are being folded into the main game. As far as I remember, it hasn't been mentioned in the dev notes before, and I have only been following RoverDude's mod development from a distance for the last few months. (It's pretty impossible to keep up with that guy unless you're watching daily. He's a machine.)

Goodbye Rowsdower, I wish you luck on your other endeavors.

Looks like it's still full speed ahead. *Choo-choo* *Train crash noises* Less doom and gloom, are mach effects like FAR mach effects? Or visual mach effects? Still no pic of Valentina? Oh well. I guess we are all aboard the train. *Train whistle*

Edited by Robotengineer
Thpelling. Firefox, meh.

Thanks for everything Rowsdower! You were great, and I thank you for your patience with the fickleness which is the KSP community. My fondest memory is the one devnote after the Curse partnership announcement where your note was simply a link to a picture of several firefighters putting out a fire. Your humor, patience, and openness with the community will be greatly missed. When you first came on as CM, my first thought was that you could never be the same as Damion or Cap'n Skunky (who had been CMs since I first started playing KSP), and you weren't, but everyone is different, and I thank you for everything you have done for the community. From a longtime KSP player, and everyone in the community, we thank you Rowsy. Godspeed, and may your rockets always have the fuel they need!

Aww by Rowsdower! you will be missed!

RCS in cargo bays not working is interesting. Is that just going to an "If in cargo bay, then not working" fudge, or will RCS thrust actually be checked for being blocked like engine thrust is?

That's an interesting question...

Right. Just curious which of RoverDude's many mods are being folded into the main game. As far as I remember, it hasn't been mentioned in the dev notes before, and I have only been following RoverDude's mod development from a distance for the last few months. (It's pretty impossible to keep up with that guy unless you're watching daily. He's a machine.)

It's been mentioned several times. I don't have a link in particular but I *thought* it was said wherever they first announced ISRU would be in 1.0. Also look through his posts over the past few days. He's talked about it a little bit.

Wow. My exact words when reading the first paragraph: "No!! You've gotta be kidding me!!"

I am truly saddened to hear you're going, Rowsdowser. You will be missed! It was great having you around!!

Up here in Canada, we have a saying when something good comes to an end: "aww, shucks."

So, without further ado, here goes. Aww, shucks.

Universe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.