Crashing to desktop on 32-bit KSP 0.90

Before I even state my issue I want to clear a few things up:

1. YES I know that I have A LOT of mods installed 60+ (Probably more than most, don’t judge).

2. All my mods ARE updated to their latest versions (With the help of CKAN)

3. YES my mods are installed correctly (Again thank you CKAN, but I did have to manually update Hangars from version 2.0.2.1 to 2.0.2.2 because CKAN has yet to update their list with the new version of Hangar most likely).

4. I already checked to see if others had the same problems as me, but there was not really any thread close enough to mine that would help me out.

5. I am using Windows 8.1 64-bit, and running KSP v0.90 in 32-bit mode (as I am writing this I am however testing KSP v0.90 on its 64-bit mode to see if my problem persists, will update this when I find out).

6. My problem could just be that my instance of KSP cannot handle this many mods and IS running out of RAM.

7. I DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT expect any help with the 64-bit version as I already know that it can be highly unstable and that the mod authors DO NOT support this version of KSP.

Here is my problem: I use CKAN to install about 65 or so mods HERE is the list of my "GameData" folder (if you would like me to shorten it down let me know) (THIS should show the versions for said mods, if any mods are missing from this list that are on the first one, let me know so that I can fix it). so with using the 32-bit KSP.exe my game will load and about 90% through loading my game will crash straight to the desktop without any reasons as to why (and I dont have any crash report file when this happens) just that the Windows error box pops up saying that "KSP encountered an error and is shutting down". I have let the KSP 64-bit run for about the past hour and a half and it gets to about 85% complete before it just stops loading and stays put with the game not crashing. Below are the screen grabs I could get of both versions of KSP of these incidents:

32-Bit: http://imgur.com/E3rMJHR,7gFqPJs#1

64-Bit: http://imgur.com/E3rMJHR,7gFqPJs

P.S. if you need any more information just let me know

The best idea would be tracing your mod updates back to the time when game didn't crash on load (Does CKAN have some log functionality? If yes, try to use it).

Also, the newest versions aren't always the best. Your problem might be some compatibility issues that weren't present in older version.

CKAN at this current point in time does not have any log functionality that I am aware of, The mod install is from a fresh KSP install and using CKAN to install mods for me for the first time. (sorry should have stated that, this is my first endeavor into modding KSP).

If possible could you put some of your log files up? Like the output.log and KSP.log. Also, in many cases its not about if the mod is up to date, but if the mod is currently built upon/supported by the version of KSP on which you are playing (which in this case is 0.90). So although you have all your mods up to date with their current versions they may not necessarily be supported for use with KSP 0.90. Also some basic system information would be nice (i.e. CPU, GPU, installed RAM). Assuming that KSP is actually producing a crash report when it... well, crashes, we should be able to figure out what the cause of the crash is from the logs. BTW, 60 mods is quite impressive, but I have seen larger...

Cheers,

oh, yeah sorry forgot about the log files:

Output_Log (from folder Launcher_Data)

Output_Log (From folder KSP_Data)

Output_Log (From folder KSP_x64_Data in-case you want to take a look at it)

KSP.Log

Ah okay, Ill look into the mod versions and see if I might be able to figure out which one is causing this. As far as my system is concerned here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core I7 740QM @ 1.73GHz

GPU: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series

RAM: 8 GB DDR3

And lol, well then, I might have to look for mods :P

Edited by Guest
To add more info

Ah-- hmm... well, seems that your KSP.log is *COUGH* erhm, over 100MB... So I can't actually view that. The output.log on the other hand is barely 50KB, so idk what is happening there. From what I can see from the output.log, KSP is not crashing. Windows seems to be terminating it for some reason or another. I would recommend disabling Windows DEP which can help if your KSP is writing to areas of RAM which are reserved for the system, not allowed to be written on or if Windows thinks its being silly. It is still likely that it is running out of memory, maxing out and just stopping without producing a crash log, in which case using some like active texture management or something that really AGGRESIVELLY reduces the size of textures and things to reduce your RAM footprint from KSP would be best. Other than that, I'm not really sure. Not being able to see the KSP.log doesn't really help :blush: Oh and don't worry about that. It's a problem on my side with my absolutely fabulous internet connection.

Cheers,

I just updated my post with the other output_logs from the other folders. But I might try that. ah okay phew thought it might have been something on my end, for why you cant view that file.

*EDIT*

When trying to disable DEP for KSP, windows brings up a window that says "This Program must run with data execution protection (DEP) Enabled. You cannot turn off DEP for this program."

Edited by Guest

Oookkk you're running out of memory. That and also some other weird stuff is happening because very rarely do I see log files in excess of 50mb, let along 100mb. As I said previously I cant actually view those logs, but i'd be interested to find out what is on them. Also, I'd recommend removing planetarium, as it has several null ref's and invalid file/config refs. ATM (Active Texture Management) is probably your only godsend here, unless you feel like running in OpenGL mode, which uses less memory but has other side affects such as earlier lag at certain points (i.e. lower parts threshold before it starts getting laggy) and also an impact on the physics simulation time which overall affects performance of the game. If you feel like running with OpenGL just to see if KSP will work, then I can run you through the steps. However, seeing as you have an AMD card it may not be compatible, but I cannot say for certain as some AMD cards work with it and others don't.

Cheers,

I removed the log files from my KSP install folder, and am now launching KSP to see what these new log files produce, will upload them into this post after seeing how far KSP loads today. As far as Planetarium is concerned, it looks like something in the mod "Snacks" was causing it, so I removed it for this test.

*EDIT*

logs below, and I think what was happening with the log files is that they where being written to while I was launching a bunch of KSPs and they kept crashing, and KSP didnt delete or rename the old log files when a new instance started up. will update this post again once the 64-bit version load, just in case you want to take a look at it as well.

New Output_Log (NEW From KSP_Data)

New KSP.log (New)

**EDIT 2nd**

Here is the crash report that it produced today for the 32-bit version of KSP.

New KSP.log (New for 64-bit)

New output_log (New for 64-bit)

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.