Flaps, Slats, Airbrakes for v1.0

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah absolutely. I can imagine there might be some resistance on grounds of complexity. However, I might suggest that the control of these surfaces be (at least by default) be semi-automated to keep the flight controls simple. If you slow down to near stalling, the game deploys your flaps/slats for you -- and they are automatically deployed when taking off until you reach safe airspeed. Air brakes could easily be linked to the general brake key. Of course you could allow the player to turn this behavior off to control these things directly themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yeah absolutely. I can imagine there might be some resistance on grounds of complexity. However, I might suggest that the control of these surfaces be (at least by default) be semi-automated to keep the flight controls simple. If you slow down to near stalling, the game deploys your flaps/slats for you -- and they are automatically deployed when taking off until you reach safe airspeed. Air brakes could easily be linked to the general brake key. Of course you could allow the player to turn this behavior off to control these things directly themselves.

I'd like these parts to be able to be semi-automated. Script the flaps/slats to start deploying under specific speeds. The (real life) F-16 does this IIRC.

Some other things to bring in would be a computer flight stability system. The ability to "read" accelerometer/pitch/roll/yaw status and automagically apply input to the flight control systems. Sort of how the B-2 or F-117 are too unstable for human pilots.

I'm thinking more of quadcopter style VTOL vehicles like the mars rover lander vehicle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.